Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #61
sintegua
Principiante

Oddometer: 16
I've posted in the second page of this thread. As long as I see, this is the type of topic that could be taken as a personal aggression.

I think this attgatt situation should be taken as it is... like a personal choice.

In my case... I try to be attgatt, but sincerely, they're times you don't put on all the gear. I think basic protection should be the helmet ('cause it's the most difficult to heal in case of injury).
sintegua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #62
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintegua View Post
I've posted in the second page of this thread. As long as I see, this is the type of topic that could be taken as a personal aggression.

I think this attgatt situation should be taken as it is... like a personal choice.

In my case... I try to be attgatt, but sincerely, they're times you don't put on all the gear. I think basic protection should be the helmet ('cause it's the most difficult to heal in case of injury).
yes I totally agree, personal choice...for me, hard protection on all joints at lhe very least....Like you see with roller bladers (knee guards can be worn under pants).
vt1099ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #63
Scott_F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I guess that in this pic ATGATT means wearing one of those gauze face masks.
It's whatever it is, I guess. I wear gear because I value my hide. I don't expect it to save me from an accident — that's up to me — but if sh!t happens, I might get out of the hospital sooner if I'm wearing it.

As for lecturing people? I don't think so. The OP was asking whether he should feel stupid when they wear motorcycle riding gear on a scooter. The answer is pretty clear — no. Wear gear, if that's what you want to wear.

Wave at Harleys, too. Sometimes they wave back — other times they turn bright red. It's entertaining.

Ride safe
Scott Fraser
Calgary
Scott_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #64
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Dave, I think Scott is correct. The OP asked for an opinion regarding ATTGATT. People responded to his question.

You interpreted some of the responses as "smug" or "lecturing". I didn't see that. What I saw was question asked and answered. No disrespect, but perhaps you're a little bit thin-skinned and it might more productive to assess what folks are actually saying, rather than putting your own emotional slant on it.
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #65
quasigentrified OP
Trumpet Strumpet

Oddometer: 725
yeah, i ain't tellin ANYONE what to wear. you can ride buck-ass naked with your tooter tucked in for all i care! i was noting that some of my bike pals give me shit when i pop round on my scoot with cordura overpants and an armored jacket, like a scoot is less dangerous. (i don't ALWAYS put on the overpants or the megajacket, like when i'm only going a couple miles, which is a leeeetle bit hypocritical of me.) i was curious to see if y'all shared that perspective, and wanted to read some amusing opinions!

and i ALWAYS wave at harley riders.
quasigentrified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #66
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
my biggest problem is in the course of you pursuing your choice to not wear gear and end up splashing your brains so my tax money has to be used to wipe your ass and feed you for life....

now, if ther where a 2-year medical card (like commercial truckers need) that your doctor (who would be the one giving the lecture about brain injury) signs and the rider signs that does two things 1) aknowledges the risk of riding without gear and acks as a 'not not resuscitate' (so relatives can't sue) card and 2) Organ Donnor card (someone can benifit from your bad choices).......

Note: under 18..wear damn the gear, over 18, choose to sign the card or not, your choice.

anyway, that's my thought....
vt1099ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #67
DavesNotHere
Aging squid

Oddometer: 299
Honestly, I was only looking to add some excitement to the thread when I said it seemed alot of people were being smug.

I can relate to someone worrying about their money paying medical for people who don't wear gear. But 99.9% of it is Harley dudes and sportbikers. Not scooters.

2014 Red Honda CBR500R / Location: Colorado
DavesNotHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #68
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,779
Many people think that ANYONE who rides is taking a stupid risk and it should be banned so we won't get injured and cause the tax payers money. After that we'll ban fast food, smoking and soft drinks over 16 ounces except for those people who buy special insurance.

Anyone who advocates this crap and rides is a hypocrite.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #69
Wentwest
How's that work?

Oddometer: 524
The End!
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #70
JerseyBiker
Living the life!

Oddometer: 2,159
Well that went well

Now we should discuss the best oil to use and whether or not helmets should be worn!

JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #71
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 1,099
Wait! Wait! I just got here!! If you want my opinion...

Wha? You don't?

I have been riding motorcycles for 45 years. Been riding scooters for less than a month. I knew there was all this smack-talk amongst bikers... but, scooterists (is that a word?)?? I was concerned that there would be talk on here about what kind of wicker basket to put on the scooter, and should it go on the front or the back? Should guys wear capri pants? And: how do you keep your sweater tied around your neck at 30 mph?

When my wife said, "Let's go look at some scooters..." I thought, "Hey, good idea, just let me put my manhood in the drawer and I'll be ready to go..."

I was wrong. I'm old enough that I really don't give a rat's rear what anyone says about what I ride or what I wear. I mostly wave at the pretty girls. It took me all of about 2 minutes to realize that there is something different and fun about a scooter. It really did take me back to getting that first motorcycle 45 years ago. It was less... less weight, less power, less speed. BUT - no less fun. In fact... aw, I don't have to tell you.

Picking your ride is a very personal choice. As is the gear. I looked all around on the internet to find a place that had scooter content... something I could relate to.

I like this place.

Captain Jim
Old 04-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #72
Spud99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Sometimes full gear sometimes flip flops, shorts and my ski helmet. I think you should do what ever you want. If someone doesn't like what you are wearing, give them the adv salute.
Spud99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #73
JerseyBiker
Living the life!

Oddometer: 2,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud99 View Post
Sometimes full gear sometimes flip flops, shorts and my ski helmet. I think you should do what ever you want. If someone doesn't like what you are wearing, give them the adv salute.

JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:32 PM   #74
quasigentrified OP
Trumpet Strumpet

Oddometer: 725
yeah, i like this place, too. the af1 forums are awesome, but are mostly old wrenchers helping noobs or arguing shop. modern vespa is a creepy incestuous place and is kinda too, uh, fake friendly. these forums are more like the internet i'm used to
quasigentrified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #75
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 2,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasigentrified View Post
modern vespa is a creepy incestuous place and is kinda too, uh, fake friendly. these forums are more like the internet i'm used to
Jeez I'm so glad I'm not alone there.

I keep thinking someone's smiling at me while pulling the pin sometimes...........