Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #76
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 743
I can be a bit sloppy about using gear...but it's not for the ride, it's for the distance. And I know it's an asinine rationalization. But...I've always tried to be understated; wear gear but not LOUD gear. Leave the Harley jacket at home; a nondescript armored jacket and black riding pants do the number.

Face it: a lot of riding gear isn't so much protection as style. The padding and cladding...is to protect. The loud designs...to PROCLAIM. And when you're proclaiming one thing, while riding (they think) another, makes that person a poseur.

Wear the gear; dress for the crash, not the ride. As you do. But...when the time comes to buy, you might want to go for understated.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #77
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
I'm still wearing my black, beat up cortex TourMaster 3/4 length jacket I bought 18 years ago. It's armored and has a zip-in liner for winter.

The cuffs are frayed. So what, I wear gauntlet gloves.
blugg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:53 AM   #78
Domindart
Scoot'in on......

Oddometer: 15
I know the concrete doesn't care, but I choose to wear just a helmet and my gloves with a loose ziper-up pleather jacket.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:08 AM   #79
Noth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
I commute typically 2 to 3 times a week... It's only 20 miles or so.. but is super slab 100%.. This year I bought a Hi vis stich RC 1 piece.. easier to get in & out of.. and last fall.. struggling to get out of my mesh pants with rain liner for warmth.. one of my co-workers told me that it looked like I was taking a dump in the parking lot .. so that was it..- and the 1 piece means that I am pretty much 100% ATGATT cause it's on or off... One day this week, I did throw on my helmet only for a quick run to the sandwich shop at lunch.. shame on me.. when it's hot, I'll go to my mesh jacket & pants.
Noth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #80
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
The loud designs...to PROCLAIM.
Visability IS a part of the ATGATT arsonal afteral....
vt1099ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #81
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by vt1099ace View Post
Visability IS a part of the ATGATT arsonal afteral....
I do have to totally agree with that, and to me, it is by far the most important part. It does not interfere with your riding enjoyment, and can help PREVENT a crash in the first place. I have a solid white full face helmet, and often wear a reflective orange road construction vest. Those are the colors of road construction workers in my state (orange vest, white hard hat) and people notice them. Converting your turn signals to 4 way flashers for use in high traffic areas can also help if you are riding slower than other traffic.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #82
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
I just added some gear to my ATGATT. I always wear my High-Viz jacket, now I have a pair of Joe Rocket Phoenix 3.0 Mesh overpants in my closet.

They are pretty darn comfortable. The zipper goes past my knees and the knee pads are adjustable. There are hip pads are really wide and long so they offer nice coverage.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #83
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,366
I have a couple of High vis jackets. I have two street helmets. one is High vis yellow and the other is white. So educate me here. If I wear that stuff on my scooter I'm posing but on a motorcycle I'm Not? How about a white helmet and mostly blue jacket? How about if I ride my XT350 with knobbies on the street? Isn't that posing?

Oh well, I had a good time posing for over 15,000 miles last year. Now I need to find a Hi Vis Milk Crate for my KLR to turn it into the ultimate poser bike

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #84
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer

Funny Klaviator, I almost feel like a poser with all the gear. It seems overkill that's for sure. But...it won't be overkill to me if I ever need it.

Talk about different phylosophies; the custodian at my school rides a Yamaha 1300 cruiser of some sort. I saw him ride away yesterday with his half helmet, shades, and short sleeve shirt. I don't mean this as a judgement, in fact I was joking with him today about it. We should take a picture just for fun to show the difference. Also, he's about 6'3" and ways about 275 lbs. He was a wrestler/footballer in school so he's quite large. He's a good guy though. He says he has almost 30,000 miles in the past 3 years so he rides quite a bit.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:35 PM   #85
Scott_F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Visibility is good. It costs little, weighs nothing, and in a pinch it can save your life. I started wearing a white helmet when I started riding a bike, reasoning (correctly) that white is more visible than most colours. My wife and I ride pairs and she has one too, so I know this to be fact. I can see her helmet long before I see the rest of her, which makes identification easy because unless you're a cop, white helmets are rare.

Then there was this incident, reported on the Burgman USA Forum.

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtop...460692#p460692

Briefly: Seattle. An inky, rainy night, rider down, oncoming car, driver saw a white helmet and slowed in time to stop when they saw the rider sprawled across their lane. That would convince me, if I needed convincing.

Ride safe. Be seen
Scott Fraser
Calgary
Scott_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #86
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREY.HOUND View Post
Funny Klaviator, I almost feel like a poser with all the gear. It seems overkill that's for sure. But...it won't be overkill to me if I ever need it.
Yeah, but exactly what is an ATGATT scooter rider posing as? I mean, who are you going to impress? Most people, if they want to pose, will pick a HD, a sport bike, or a big, round the world capable adventure bike to pose on.

OK, you MIGHT impress a few other riders but lets face it, there are far better ways to pose.

Ultimately most of us ride because we enjoy riding. For me wearing riding gear increases my enjoyment of the ride because i'm more comfortable while riding and also because I know I'm doing something that makes my dangerous pastime somewhat safer.

For some people, wearing gear takes away from their enjoyment of the ride. Everyone is different and needs to make their own decisions.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #87
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Hey, Klaviator, I just put a black milk crate on my dark gray 2012 Suzuki DR 650 SE. What a practical addition! It's truly amazing how many groceries you can pack into a milk crate. I also mounted a small cargo net with hooks to keep stuff from flying out at speed. I have one of those pricey billet aluminum racks made for a DR and I fastened the milk crate onto it with 12 wire ties, very tightly cinched. It's definitely not going anywhere.

Not exactly a fashion statement. However, I could care less. In the week it's been on I haven't driven my car so I'm saving gas big time.
blugg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #88
quasigentrified OP
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 623
well, the implication from my bmw pals was that by atgatt-ing on a scooter, i was pretending to be a REAL motorcyclist -- which should probably earn them a trip to the woodshed. i ain't pretending to be shit, assholes; i'm trying to stay safe because i'm rolling at the same 65-to-80 mph on MY commute too!

next time it comes up, i'm welcoming them to hop on a 250cc ride and hit the 520 bridge in high gusts and rain like i do -- only they get flip-flops, a northface hoodie, and some spare lifting gloves as per what is assumed to be "proper" scooter attire. (they can have my cell number, too, if they need some help picking their skin up off the road.) bitches, my COMMUTE is more of an ADVENTURE than any lazy sunny-day cruise to wenatchee on your RTs!

quasigentrified screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 08:16 PM
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #89
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasigentrified View Post
well, the implication from my bmw pals was that by atgatt-ing on a scooter, i was pretending to be a REAL motorcyclist -- which should probably earn them a trip to the woodshed. i ain't pretending to be shit, assholes; i'm trying to stay safe because i'm rolling at the same 65-to-80 mph on MY commute too!

next time it comes up, i'm welcoming them to hop on a 250cc ride and hit the 520 bridge in high gusts and rain like i do -- only they get flip-flops, a northface hoodie, and some spare lifting gloves as per what is assumed to be "proper" scooter attire. (they can have my cell number, too, if they need some help picking their skin up off the road.) bitches, my COMMUTE is more of an ADVENTURE than any lazy sunny-day cruise to wenatchee on your RTs!
Now tell us how you really feel. LOL!

Commuting truly is an adventure, especially the during the morning rush hour.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:54 AM   #90
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 743
By "low profile" I did not mean "invisible."

My new, expensive, shockingly comfortable three-layer riding jacket is fifty-percent radioactive green. That's okay; I welcome any edge in visibility and survival. If I look silly, so be it.

What I'm referring to is the tendency for some to posture a bit...leather chaps, their favorite iconic motor-company name in broad markings on the back; Death's Head patches; loud helmet designs.

Nothing says POSEUR like a lot of skulls worn by a guy getting off a Vespa.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote