Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 12:16 AM   #31
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
Jeez, that's it. Just buy shit.
I'd build a bumtown in the central valley for all the bums in San Francisco. It would be a replica of a city. I'd ply the bums with drugs and the worst liquors money can buy to render them more insensate and transport them there under cover of night. The garbage dumpsters would be kept stocked and employees dressed as normal human beings would be available for the panhandlers to supplicate for funds to buy bum accessories. Everybody would be happy, the city would be less bummy and the bums would get to live a more wholesome existence.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:25 AM   #32
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,156
Get 3-4 Mercedes E63 wagons and start a free ride service for seniors.
jdiaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:31 AM   #33
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,622
I'd pay off my debts first, not that I have many. Then I would pay off my Dad's house for him. After that I'd buy a new cage (I quite dislike my current one), and then a bike or two.

I'm recently unemployed and started going back to school full time. I'd probably become a school bum and just take classes in subjects that interest me.

My own place would be in there somewhere too; though picking a spot would be rather difficult.
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:38 AM   #34
zilla
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,609
Set up trust/education funds for my kids,niece and nephews. Make my parents retirement more enjoyable. Give some to my sisters. Invest a good portion to gaurantee i'd never have to concern myself about going broke.
Have a chunk of property somewhere off the beaten path, lot's of toys to play with, and no worries.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:45 AM   #35
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,680
just a friendly reminder, you have to play to win...
Old 04-02-2013, 06:51 AM   #36
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
I would start a free clinic for poor folks that need medical care.

That's a great idea.

I would set aside $10 million for myself to live the rest of my days in comfort (I'm young), my parents would retire the next day, my girlfriend's parents the same. My brother and sister would get to chose if they ever worked again.

I'd buy a ~2,500 square foot place in Northern New England with a pond and land for my dogs to roam freely, a 4,000 square foot wood stove heated garage/barn, a couple more Jeeps in my collection and a 2013 690Enduro. My land would be a tangle of singletrack trails, and in some ways I would probably allow members access to the trails provided they helped X hours a month with maintenance.

The rest of the money would be dontated and used for humanitarian purposes. I love the medical clinic idea, I could also see purchasing land trusts for conservation and volunteering with or purchasing a no-kill animal shelter to let dogs live in comfort while waiting to be adopted. With the land conservation, I'd donate a big chunk to preserving my local MTB trail system that needs some help.

I think the key to all of this is to somehow remain anonymous.
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:19 AM   #37
sleazy rider
Squidly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,940
Pay everything off, give it all away and get on the new hack rig with my dog and camping gear to disappear into a sunset or four. Attend a year's worth of ADV rallies and supply the beer for the inmates. After that? :shrug Random acts of kindness around the world as I travel.
--Tom IBA #41627
Blog
sleazy rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:07 AM   #38
Dave
Huh?

Oddometer: 2,782
Step #1. Hire the best lawyer, accountant, and investment adviser I could find.

Step #2. I'd set aside enough where I could live comfortably, work a little at something fun to stay active. Also, travel.

Step #3. Help out a few immediate family members, and a couple of friends. I'd also let 'em know this is a one shot deal. No investing in future 'business opportunities'. No do-overs if they blow it.

Step #4. If it's a huge jackpot, I'd probably also set up a philanthropy of some sort.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #39
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 9,062
Take out enough play money to have plenty of fun. Set up the rest to start making money to keep me rolling for the rest of my and families lives.

And then....

I would fucking Go. Wherever, whenever, however, and for how long.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #40
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,346
I'd probably create a charitable organization and fund it with 20% off the top. Give the siblings and siblings-in-law and good friends each $1MM. But tell them if they blow it, there's no more free money.

Then buy a nice house in my hometown close to the theaters and restaurants and nightlife that we enjoy. With a media room with enough audio juice to make you shit your pants when watching action movies, a pretty well stocked wine cellar and some saunas. Then I'd find a 30-100 acre place out in the woods an hour or so away to get away on the weekends and let the dogs run. Maybe a Bell Jet Ranger to cut down on the commute between the city and country when hauling the dogs.

Then we'd slowly visit every interesting place around the world to sample the local cuisine and cocktails, some by motorbike, some by car, some by boat, some by rickshaw. some by sherpa.

When we're done with that, we'd open up a big-ass multi-line motorcycle dealership in a cool old building with an adjacent micro-brewery restaurant and bed-n-breakfast catering to motorcycle travelers. Oil and tire changing services overnight, free bike cleaning paraphernalia, firepit out back for riders to sit around and shoot the shit. Maybe a couple of those 5 axis CNC machines to make custom parts when needed, or to support guys with ideas for ADV farkles. And the most bitchin unimog with crew cab and a lift arm, for picking up local broken down motorbikes.
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #41
little foot
Scratch and Sniff

Oddometer: 5,880
I always wanted a ranch in Montana
Old 04-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #42
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,948
A new pair of workboots, maybe.

Ah, screw that, I'll just have these re-soled.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #43
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
How big? $2M would be nice but it would be a different set of choices than winning $20M or $200M
100mil plus.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #44
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
100mil plus.
Oh!

New boots it is, then...

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #45
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
I'd build a bumtown in the central valley for all the bums in San Francisco. It would be a replica of a city. I'd ply the bums with drugs and the worst liquors money can buy to render them more insensate and transport them there under cover of night. The garbage dumpsters would be kept stocked and employees dressed as normal human beings would be available for the panhandlers to supplicate for funds to buy bum accessories. Everybody would be happy, the city would be less bummy and the bums would get to live a more wholesome existence.
That's what I'm talkin about. Also, no rent control. We'd build Favela's between South San Francisco and Redwood City. Subsidise high speed monorail into the City so the service class can get into do what the service classes do. I see SF becoming a boutique location for the leisure classes (think of the museums and galleries! Think of the cleanliness. Think of the example!).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: