ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #61
Buck McCann
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Oddometer: 238
I would disappear for a time, six months or so. Every lottery winner I have ever heard or read about had literally hundreds of phone calls, emails, people pounding on their door with their hand out.

A quick example...one young lottery winner, 23, had her father show up at her door asking for $50,000. He had abandoned the family when she was two and she had never heard from him for 21 years. Besides people on the street, or in the store asking her for money.

Then when the notoriety had died down I would of course take care of family, some travel, give to worthy charities. Those that expect people to serve and give to others in return for their being helped. Scholarships, a dental care program?

A well insulated home and shop and I really don't need much in the way material things. I'm long past the Mercedes, BMW, Ferrari phase.
Buck McCann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #62
jonnytorch
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: chicago
Oddometer: 477
I'd prepare for the Zombie invasion.
jonnytorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #63
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Burnaby, BC
Oddometer: 2,796
Got to watch the fun when a close family member won $5mil (Canuck dollars, so over $10m US).

It was a fucking gong show. Soon as her picture hit the papers the greedy bastards started calling. Showing up at her house with "business opportunities to invest in". One got the brushoff and threatened to trip on her stairs and sue her for all of it.

Neighbours and friends nearly all stopped calling. The honest ones felt nervous. The assholes just held out their hands and asked for their share and got told to screw off. A very, very, small number carried on like nothing happened. Rumors started that so and so had been given something, and everyone who hadn't received just as much were pissed. No good deed goes unpunished.

She kept going into work, until the office dynamics were too awkward and she was told to clean out her desk "because someone needs the job more than you do."

She changed her phone number several times. Unlisted. Didn't matter, the scammers kept calling. Threats were made about her children's safety.

Finally, she had to leave the country for a few months, re-locate and start over to avoid the shenannigans.

If she had to do it over, the one thing she'd do IS TELL NO ONE. That includes claiming the prize under an alias, or disguising her identity so well that no one would figure out it was actually her that won.

She says the best thing was that none of her family asked for anything from her.

I can see how the pressure would drive someone to make a lot of bad decisions very quickly. If you didn't have your head screwed on right to begin with and had a lot of backbone, the isolation and paranoia alone would break you.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:37 AM   #64
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah
 
biggziff's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Oddometer: 8,010
Become a philanthropist and give it all away.
__________________
"Fools you are. To say you learn by your experience. I prefer to profit by others' mistakes and avoid the price of my own."

- Otto von Bismarck


<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:41 AM   #65
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer
 
bk brkr baker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: The Bluegrass
Oddometer: 5,392
Keep farming until it was all gone.
__________________
RR's Catnip Hill to Peoria ___Loopin' Seattle to WestFest
It started with some beers __1500 miles to the Dentist
Skeedaddle to Seattle______ A 30 year old on a Three Flags Run
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #66
Jonnylotto
All out of care
 
Jonnylotto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Sunnyvale
Oddometer: 15,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
Keep farming until it was all gone.
In about three years?
__________________
I'm done.
Jonnylotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #67
genka
SUV hater
 
genka's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Baltimore, MD
Oddometer: 1,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuter Boy View Post
Got to watch the fun when a close family member won $5mil (Canuck dollars, so over $10m US).

It was a fucking gong show. Soon as her picture hit the papers the greedy bastards started calling. Showing up at her house with "business opportunities to invest in". One got the brushoff and threatened to trip on her stairs and sue her for all of it.

Neighbours and friends nearly all stopped calling. The honest ones felt nervous. The assholes just held out their hands and asked for their share and got told to screw off. A very, very, small number carried on like nothing happened. Rumors started that so and so had been given something, and everyone who hadn't received just as much were pissed. No good deed goes unpunished.

She kept going into work, until the office dynamics were too awkward and she was told to clean out her desk "because someone needs the job more than you do."

She changed her phone number several times. Unlisted. Didn't matter, the scammers kept calling. Threats were made about her children's safety.

Finally, she had to leave the country for a few months, re-locate and start over to avoid the shenannigans.

If she had to do it over, the one thing she'd do IS TELL NO ONE. That includes claiming the prize under an alias, or disguising her identity so well that no one would figure out it was actually her that won.

She says the best thing was that none of her family asked for anything from her.

I can see how the pressure would drive someone to make a lot of bad decisions very quickly. If you didn't have your head screwed on right to begin with and had a lot of backbone, the isolation and paranoia alone would break you.
Interesting story, although I don't understand how $5m Canadian equal $10m US. No taxes? Most likely she didn't have a choice, but to make her name public, it was in the terms of the lottery. Still, I guess she'd rather go through all the inconveniences than not to win at all.
__________________
.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #68
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,309
Yeah, here in NM you can decline to make your name as a winner public. Plus, I would move anyway to a more South pacific climate for year round enjoyment. I would also give my best friends each quite a nest egg since they have all been with me as good friends even though I am NOT rich by any means.
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #69
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Oddometer: 3,376
Hire some lobbyists and lawyers for a few million and manage to get the lottery banned - no more gambling to partially pay for schools, no more welfare recycling, no more people squandering away their money and their more valuable time dreaming about something that approaches statistically impossibility. Doing this will quash the idea that you need to be rich to be happy. In fact, I think people don't play the lottery because they necessarily want to be rich but because they definitely don't want to be poor. To accomplish this good deed I play every once in awhile, when the prize is big enough to pay those lawyers and for me to live a comfortably hypocritical lifestyle - all the while looking over my shoulder at the legions who'd want to vilify or even crucify me for ruining their dreams.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #70
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer
 
C-Stain's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Canoodia, eh?
Oddometer: 5,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
Hire some lobbyists and lawyers for a few million and manage to get the lottery banned - no more gambling to partially pay for schools, no more welfare recycling, no more people squandering away their money and their more valuable time dreaming about something that approaches statistically impossibility. Doing this will quash the idea that you need to be rich to be happy. In fact, I think people don't play the lottery because they necessarily want to be rich but because they definitely don't want to be poor. To accomplish this good deed I play every once in awhile, when the prize is big enough to pay those lawyers and for me to live a comfortably hypocritical lifestyle - all the while looking over my shoulder at the legions who'd want to vilify or even crucify me for ruining their dreams.
Aren't you a ray of fucking sunshine.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
C-Stain is wise.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #71
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Oddometer: 3,376
Relax. I don't know if there's a smiley emoticon for irony. I think I'll go and buy something for a $1 today.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #72
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Burnaby, BC
Oddometer: 2,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by genka View Post
Interesting story, although I don't understand how $5m Canadian equal $10m US. No taxes?
Bingo. It was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Up here you agree to allow your name and a photo to be published. There are exceptions made if you request it for people that have crazy relatives and ex's or that work in professions where you want some anominity, like policing.

If they won't give you an exemption, you can also supply the picture, you don't have to stand with the big fake cheque for promo shots. There's room for some creativity in looking a little different than you normally do there.

Other ways people have successfully obscured their identity is to set up a residence in another region/province/state by renting an apartment for a few months, getting your ID changed over, and setting up bank accounts using middle names and claim under that. Bonus points if you arrange your new residence in a place where there's someone with the same name you claim under. This has happened a few times to people's befuddlement, and the newspaper's amusement.

Unfortunately, she didn't find out about any of those things beforehand, only afterwards. Like most folks she was pretty overwhelmed by the experience and just wanted to get the money right away. A few months of planning would have changed her qualify of life immensely.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #73
Cumminsman76
befuddled
 
Cumminsman76's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Where the bikes parked. STL
Oddometer: 8,511
Ride the bike around the country for a long time.
__________________
STURGIS ride report.
2009 R1200 Gelände/Straße Abenteuer
A GS is like chlamydia, it grows on you whether you want it to or not. WhiteManFlail

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #74
frazman
Post***ern Redneck.
 
frazman's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: North of 40, South of 60.
Oddometer: 1,852
Cyprus is looking like a good deal these days. I'd buy the whole fucking country and install myself as Admiral-General Frazman. Then, the party would just be getting started!
__________________
"I just wastin my joose now like evry day u know"


frazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #75
Timmy Tucker
Beat to Fit
 
Timmy Tucker's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Nawwwfuck, VA
Oddometer: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
If it was a lot, say $50 mil or so, then there is a company I would buy just to fire the fucking manager, then as soon as he was gone I would find out where he went, then buy that company and fire his ass again. I'd probably keep doing that until he was left sweeping up cig butts and used needles behind a liquor store in south Dallas for $6 an hour. Then I would leave him alone.
I think I worked for his sister.


Myself, my family and a couple very close friends would have our financial messes cleaned up. Pretty much everything I own (which ain't much) would be given away to charity/people-in-need except for my crappy little house (gotta have a backup plan).

After all the typical lawyer/financial advisor/accountant bullshit is taken care of, I will spend a year or 2 alone on a RTW bike trip. When the trip's over, I'll pretty much do what the fuck ever hits my fancy, when the fuck ever I feel like it.
__________________
"It is genuinely amazing just how deep this place can take a conversation about the most boring shit." - cornercarver
Timmy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014