User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
ausfahrt OP
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,704
Added A Scooter To The Family

I have been looking for a scooter for my teenage son for a couple of months now. He recently got a job and his mother and I are getting tired of taxiing him back and forth to work several days a week. At first I was looking at smaller scoots but since his commute will be almost entirely rural two lane roads with a 50mph speed limit, I figured that a bigger one would keep up with traffic better.

So this morning a 2001 Honda Helix found it's way to our driveway. It has a couple of minor cosmetic issues but runs out great and has less than 10000 miles. The best part is that my wife, who has never had an interest in riding herself, has shown a keen interest in the Helix and even took it for a quick spin down our street.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,970
Good luck with it!

I miss my Helix a lot. One of the most fun bikes I've owned.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
fsf1o1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
nice man !
fsf1o1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,711
Almost bought a Helix a few years ago. Until the seller went a flaky on me.

Cool bike.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
"You have chosen... Wisely."
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,822
Looks like the perfect transportation for a teenager. But I would advise he take the MSF course if he hasn't already. It's just as hard dealing with cell phone addled traffic on a scooter as it is on a large motorcycle.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:19 PM   #7
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,556
I would have him get a motorcycle course if he hasn't. Just had a 19 year old kill himself by hitting a train where I live. Motorcycle super store ,iron pony , computation accessories , New enough are great place to order gear cheaply at. Last year stuff . Taken care of the helix is a great ride.
I believe this is a link for the helix oem shop manual http://dl.dropbox.com/u/68518383/HEL..._Manual_V2.pdf
It s going to take 3 or so min to load then just download it. YOu ll need a pdf viewer . I love my helix it's one of the best 250 scooters ever. I ve even seen pictures of one with 90 000 miles . 50 000 is common
Old 04-01-2013, 11:28 PM   #8
windburn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,181
Great ride?

I have enjoyed owning a Helix. In the early models the intake manifolds would get brittle and crack causing problems. It's an easy replacement. Other then that it will run well for years.
windburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:51 AM   #9
ausfahrt OP
mach schnell

Thanks for the thumbs up, fellas. The MSF course is actually required here in Florida to get the motorcycle endorsement on your license. It is a two day course and Jake will be completing it today.

The immediate issue with the Helix is that the dash lens has crazed to the point that you can barely see through it during the day. I am going to try the Harbor Freight headlight restoration kit that has a drill mounted buffer. Failing that, I see that complete oem dash panels are still available for around $55.

This thing is a blast!

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
Old 04-02-2013, 02:03 AM   #10
ausfahrt OP
mach schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
I would have him get a motorcycle course if he hasn't. Just had a 19 year old kill himself by hitting a train where I live. Motorcycle super store ,iron pony , computation accessories , New enough are great place to order gear cheaply at. Last year stuff . Taken care of the helix is a great ride.
I believe this is a link for the helix oem shop manual http://dl.dropbox.com/u/68518383/HEL..._Manual_V2.pdf
It s going to take 3 or so min to load then just download it. YOu ll need a pdf viewer . I love my helix it's one of the best 250 scooters ever. I ve even seen pictures of one with 90 000 miles . 50 000 is common
Downloaded the shop manual. Thanks, I'm sure that it will come in handy!

-Winston Churchill
Old 04-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #11
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,822
That dash panel is probably crystalized from sitting out in the sun. Looks like an AZ bike. When I bought my '85 Goldwing, it looked much the same, paint burned off, seat cracked, same issue with dash, and the windshield was so bad you couldn't see through it. It shattered when I was removing it, almost like tempered glass. The sun had even destroyed the plastic sight glasses in the front brake and clutch master cylinders, literally turning them into dust. I removed what was left and filled in the holes with JB Weld. It lasted as long as I had the bike. The sun actually disintegrates plastic, it will probably crack if you put much pressure on it. I'd just go ahead and get a new one if the scooter proves reliable.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #12
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Helix

I haven't ridden my 95 Helix in 7 years but I've put 65698 miles on it. I used to run it wide open all the time. Going down a long hill here in Western Kansas I've seen 78 mph. With no wind on the level it will always do 71 mph. I love Felix. I've owned 99 two wheeler and he's my favorite. Gene Bartlow in California put 178000 on a Helix (really)
oldhippie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #13
ausfahrt OP
mach schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie1 View Post
I haven't ridden my 95 Helix in 7 years but I've put 65698 miles on it. I used to run it wide open all the time. Going down a long hill here in Western Kansas I've seen 78 mph. With no wind on the level it will always do 71 mph. I love Felix. I've owned 99 two wheeler and he's my favorite. Gene Bartlow in California put 178000 on a Helix (really)
Felix the Helix, I love it.

7 years? You need to get the cobwebs outta that pig!

Thanks for sharing and I am sure that after 65k you have a few more stories to tell....

-Winston Churchill
Old 04-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #14
creighta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
BUY A GOOD HELMET! Don't want to be insulting, not sure of your experience,but be careful. The helix is a scooter, but will run 80mph so it is still dangerous as a sport bike. I had a student break his arm wrecking a ct70 a few years ago...then again I also had a 16yr old student get a hyuabusa when he got his license and never had problems, all depends on the kid. Please lecture yours on safety. Better yet buy another scoot and ride with him till he has some experience.

In the end Welcome aboard. Maybe we will read your sons america by helix adventure in a few years.
creighta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #15
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,556
[
QUOTE=creighta;21094150]BUY A GOOD HELMET! Don't want to be insulting, not sure of your experience,but be careful. The helix is a scooter, but will run 80mph so it is still dangerous as a sport bike. I had a student break his arm wrecking a ct70 a few years ago...then again I also had a 16yr old student get a hyuabusa when he got his license and never had problems, all depends on the kid. Please lecture yours on safety. Better yet buy another scoot and ride with him till he has some experience.

In the end Welcome aboard. Maybe we will read your sons america by helix adventure in a few years.[/QUOTE]

YEp Ehter full face or flip up. only takes one hit to end up getting dentures

I think you can fix the seat by using one of those car products that fills in small rips in seat. Then again is really easy to take the cover off and sew it back together . You ll need a good stapler to go that way......