Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #16
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,008
I definitely recommend a full face helmet. In a bad accident you can wind up losing your whole face. BUT. It does not have to be expensive. ANY DOT approved full face helmet that fits properly will offer just as much protection as a $500+ one. Don't let some salesperson pull the "$50 head" scam on you. I have a $116 HJC CL-16 and love it. I will continue to use it as long as it fits properly. Over the years, a properly fitting helmet can loosen up, due to slow compression of the foam, and should be replaced.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:08 AM   #17
ausfahrt OP
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,619
Thanks for the advice, I've been riding for a few years and Momma wouldn't have signed on to this if a full face helmet was not part of the deal.

It turns out that Jake's noggin is just as big as his old man's so he is going to wear this Harley helmet that I bought about two years ago when I still had my Heritage. If his buddies give him a hard time about wearing a Harley helmet while riding a Honda scooter then he can buy his own helmet because....he has a job.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #18
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
Thanks for the advice, I've been riding for a few years and Momma wouldn't have signed on to this if a full face helmet was not part of the deal.

It turns out that Jake's noggin is just as big as his old man's so he is going to wear this Harley helmet that I bought about two years ago when I still had my Heritage. If his buddies give him a hard time about wearing a Harley helmet while riding a Honda scooter then he can buy his own helmet because....he has a job.

Just remove all the Honda stickers from the scooter and add some Harley stickers. Then the helmet will match the scooter. That would get some interesting comments

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #19
ausfahrt OP
mach schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbishoppcm View Post
"You have chosen... Wisely."
Thanks.

I just discovered your youtube tutorials and they are cool. Well done.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
Old 04-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #20
miboso
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
With a Harley helmet, maybe you should have bought him a HD "Shortster"
http://encarsglobe.com/data_images/g...ortster-07.jpg
Old 04-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #21
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
I have a friend, a 70-old lady, who has been riding most of her adult life. She currently has a Helix and has had very good luck with it, very reliable, able to stay with us on the freeway and lots of storage space. I think it's a great machine...and something of a "cult" machine as well...lots of fans.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:47 AM   #22
ausfahrt OP
mach schnell

Wrecked

Well Jake wrecked the Helix and more details are available on faceplant here...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898049

So Jake is fine and now I want to turn my attention to the Helix. It does not look good. He low sided and then the scooter apparently flipped when it hit the shoulder of the road.

In the heat of the moment, I did not take pics of the scoot right after the crash and the following pics were taken after I attempted to begin repairing the bike. I believe that there may be frame damage based on the last pic and I welcome all thoughts and opinions.

-Winston Churchill
Old 06-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #23
Wentwest
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
It looks like you are going to be taking most of the plastic off, so just resign yourself to it and do it. Take pictures, follow the manual steps in order, keep the screws and clips in plastic bags you tape to the inside of each panel. I like to hang the panels from hooks I make from coat hangers, to get them off the floor and out of harm's way. Once it's naked you can see what's the deal, if there is a bent frame. The engine mounts at the front through a long bolt and bushings through castings on the engine crankcase, and it those are broken you are sort of screwed, but another engine isn't too hard to find. There are Chinese clones of this engine everywhere, so be careful if you buy parts. Because the castings are aluminum and the frame mounts are steel I'd look at the castings first.

I guess every kid has to crash like this. Probably overdid it going into a curve, got scared in the middle, hit the rear brake and slid out, into the curb. Been there, almost did that a couple of times. At least he's OK, and that helmet was in the right place at the right time. One serious bonk on the head while wearing a full face helmet will make you a believer forever.
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #24
ausfahrt OP
mach schnell

I like the idea of hanging the body parts out of the way. Thanks for the tips.

-Winston Churchill