Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #16
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrone View Post
Will that fit on a GS rim?
See page 3 of the thread mentioned in Post #3 above. It fits. Patta went from Great Britain to Korea on a single tire. You could PM him directly if you got questions. Here's what it looked like after crossing Asia--

Patta's the one in green.
DRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #17
Melrone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
Thats not a bad price.Might try one when I wear out my Tourance..Still heading to Salem I take it..I'll see you in september..
Melrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #18
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrone View Post
Thats not a bad price.Might try one when I wear out my Tourance..Still heading to Salem I take it..I'll see you in september..
Yeah, the trip out is epic. 5199 miles from Vermont to Salem via the scenic route. Haven't figured out yet all the things I want to see on the way back.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #19
Melrone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
Yeah it sounds like a great trip.Barley going to handle the heat better. that run will tell how good your tires are.lesson learned last year in Missouri...Make it a safe trip.You in the area you have a place to stay,cold beer included.....
Melrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #20
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
Avon Sidecar Triple Duty??
In normal situations the tyre will go off before the tread face wears out.

If you are thinking one of these, then I'd suggest you look at the Avon Speedmaster MkII REAR tyre. In the conditions that I've been using my sidecars, the Speedmaster was a better tyre, and had very long life.

I wore a Tourance out in a few 000 km. TKC80 lasted about the same as the Tourance, but it was second hand to start with.

Got a Mitas EO? that I just put on it but it's not turned a wheel in anger yet.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #21
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripodtiger View Post
Avon Sidecar Triple Duty??
In normal situations the tyre will go off before the tread face wears out.

If you are thinking one of these, then I'd suggest you look at the Avon Speedmaster MkII REAR tyre. In the conditions that I've been using my sidecars, the Speedmaster was a better tyre, and had very long life.

I wore a Tourance out in a few 000 km. TKC80 lasted about the same as the Tourance, but it was second hand to start with.

Got a Mitas EO? that I just put on it but it's not turned a wheel in anger yet.
That's not a Triple Duty. It's a Avon Safety Mileage 400-19. Ever tried one of those?
Old 04-12-2013, 05:32 AM   #22
hahnda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
The 4.00x19 K37 from Heidenau might be a possibility. Its roughly a 100/100-19 in metric sizing. Ural hack riders are getting great mileage out of them on both the front and the rear. The lug is a bit more aggressive than most but it holds up well.

Heidenau Tires
hahnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #23
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hahnda View Post
The 4.00x19 K37 from Heidenau might be a possibility. Its roughly a 100/100-19 in metric sizing. Ural hack riders are getting great mileage out of them on both the front and the rear. The lug is a bit more aggressive than most but it holds up well.
That looks cool!

Would somebody please be the test mule and mount one up on 2.5x19 BMW tubeless GS rim then thrash it for a couple of thousand miles and report back as to whether it holds the bead?

Unless somebody knows somebody who's already done this?
Old 04-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #24
hahnda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
These are a tube type tire so that might be a deal breaker for those of you not wanting to run a tube. I plan to run one of these on the front of a Guzzi rig I am building, but first I have to re-lace the front from a 21 to a 19. That and I also have to get the rig put together.

These tires have a flatter tread profile and work well for sidecar duty.
Heidenau Tires
hahnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #25
tempered_lobster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
That looks cool!

Would somebody please be the test mule and mount one up on 2.5x19 BMW tubeless GS rim then thrash it for a couple of thousand miles and report back as to whether it holds the bead?

Unless somebody knows somebody who's already done this?
Pretty sure Acerph had one on the front of his rig. From memory, it may interfere with the front GS mudguard due to the taller profile.
tempered_lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #26
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempered_lobster View Post
Pretty sure Acerph had one on the front of his rig. From memory, it may interfere with the front GS mudguard due to the taller profile.
Oh yeah, I remember that. He took it to Alaska with his daughter. Was it the K37? Let me go find that post.

Here it is--

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRph View Post
I ran a Heidenau on the front for the Alcan trip. W/ a passenger & some aggressive riding, it was toast at 4k miles. Probably could have gotten a thousand more before it was really bald.

I currently have ~4200 miles on the one I put on in Alaska & it's still pretty good. Looks like maybe 6000 miles before needing to be replaced.

The hassle is mounting a tube tire on the tubeless rim.

OK--found a pic. Looks like the K37 alright--

So I guess once you get it on it DOES hold the bead, but it doesn't last. Boo! My Heidi K60 lasted for 8000 miles. It's nice and square though isn't it?
Old 04-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #27
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,113
Seeking a little more surface contact, I decided to give the "Avon Triple Duty" front tire a go.
The deep tread picks up a shit load of rock on back roads. My tire / fender clearance is tight so I'm constantly "grinding" rocks between the tire & fender when they come loose.

(Chair off for some engine maintenance last winter)

I've ran about 3000 miles on the tire and still have a lot of tread left. Should get 4500 - 5000 miles out of it I think.

I installed a Metzler K-block on the rear but ate it up quickly. Going back to cheap conventional tires when these are gone. The high dollar brand tires never last any longer than the cheaper ones so what's the point. I'm lucky to get 3000 miles out of any brand back tire I've installed.

The Heidenau's look awesome, but I spend more time on pavement so they'd be a little rough.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992

bmwhacker screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 09:49 PM
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote