Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #16
MariusD OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALinUTAH View Post
I know the feeling. After buying the bike on Saturday, I spent almost another couple grand on goodies for it on Monday. Somebody stop me!

I've been bombarded with shipping notices today so I'm like a kid on christmas eve. -al
You got that right! I too feel like a kid on Christmas morning. I'm at roughly $600 so far, and that pretty much covers everything i wanted to do. for now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokklym View Post
Those work pretty good, and the price is right!
That's good to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post
My advice, take a couple of trips and then decide what you really need vs. what is just a want.

As for the phone charger, wire in a relay that activates a 12V plug when the bike is running. Use your regular car charger, its a 15.00 project and takes about an hour ;-)
I agree, and that's what Ive done for the past few days. i've been riding about 80 or so miles per day, as time allows. That is how I came up with the list of mods that I just about completed ordering. I just don't want to be 300 miles into my 2000 total mile journey and realize only then that I missed some major issue that would ruin the trip for me with discomfort or pain. Figure there are a few 2012 wee owners that have done some longer trips already and may have some input.

MariusD screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 07:37 PM
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #17
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,396
I'm 6 feet tall and I use the 22 inch Madstad windshield, adjusted so that I look just over the top of the screen. I looked on the Madstad site and don't find the adjustable "wing" on top of any of their current windscreens.

Maybe they've stopped making that version... I sure like mine.

I'm also a big fan of ear plugs. I don't need additional hearing loss...

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #18
MariusD OP
Studly Adventurer

I'm also going to add highway pegs to that list. If I can find some and get them in time.

Need to call this guy in the morning to see if he still makes these:

http://community-2.webtv.net/CHERDAN...omAccessories/
Old 04-02-2013, 11:01 PM   #19
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,396
I don't use my highway pegs much... came with the bike... mounted on Pat Walsh bars and bash plate.

I do use my centerstand every day.

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #20
MariusD OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by No False Enthusiasm View Post
I don't use my highway pegs much... came with the bike... mounted on Pat Walsh bars and bash plate.

I do use my centerstand every day.

NFE
Really? You don't use them? Do you go on long trips at all?

I would think that hwy pegs would be a god send on a long trip because they allow you to change seating position very a great degree and avoid premature soreness.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:08 AM   #21
JoshS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Hey Marius, I'm in the same boat as you. I have a 2013 wee on order (which seems to be taking WAY too long to get here, but maybe it's just because MI is starting to have some tolerable-temperatured days) and I've got an 8500 mile trip planned for the summer. I haven't ordered many farkles yet, as I figured I'm going to do a few day trips before the big trip in July just to see what my wants vs. needs are.

After listening to all the complaints over the stock windshield on the stromtrooper forum, though, I did get a madstad bracket and california scientific medium windshield. Not sure what they cost together since they were a Christmas present, but I want to guess maybe $300? Also for Christmas I got an Airhawk. I'd never used one before, but compared to the price of a Russell or Sargent seat I figured I'd give it a try.

The other farkles I have planned are the following:
-peg lowering kit from Richland Rick
-fork brace from RR
-tank bag that mounts on the gas cap (not sure which one yet, leaning towards Givi t480)
-Omni-cruise - if you haven't already ordered a throttle lock, there is a guy on advrider making one from billet aluminum that looks really sweet. It's a little more expensive ($60 I think) than the cheapo plastic ones, but it's made in the USA and supports one of us
-bestem 929 topcase
-eastern beaver wire harness to wire the extra brake and running lights in the topcase up to the bike
-some kind of center stand (not sure which)
-motosliders frame and swingarm sliders (I know I'm going to drop this bike in an embarrassing way, and these are much cheaper than engine guards and since I plan to do little or no offroading I thought these would be sufficient)

My wife says that's it.
JoshS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #22
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
Top case - not a necessity but might be nice.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/garage-pro-...58683y1989u0j1

There's a guy in the XRL thread that posted this sale. He has one of these on his bike and has been very pleased with it. A friend gave me the medium sized version of this top case and I have been pleased with it. So much so I ordered this large version.

$44.95(+ tax) delivered is a great price!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #23
MariusD OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
Hey Marius, I'm in the same boat as you. I have a 2013 wee on order (which seems to be taking WAY too long to get here, but maybe it's just because MI is starting to have some tolerable-temperatured days) and I've got an 8500 mile trip planned for the summer. I haven't ordered many farkles yet, as I figured I'm going to do a few day trips before the big trip in July just to see what my wants vs. needs are.

After listening to all the complaints over the stock windshield on the stromtrooper forum, though, I did get a madstad bracket and california scientific medium windshield. Not sure what they cost together since they were a Christmas present, but I want to guess maybe $300? Also for Christmas I got an Airhawk. I'd never used one before, but compared to the price of a Russell or Sargent seat I figured I'd give it a try.

The other farkles I have planned are the following:
-peg lowering kit from Richland Rick
-fork brace from RR
-tank bag that mounts on the gas cap (not sure which one yet, leaning towards Givi t480)
-Omni-cruise - if you haven't already ordered a throttle lock, there is a guy on advrider making one from billet aluminum that looks really sweet. It's a little more expensive ($60 I think) than the cheapo plastic ones, but it's made in the USA and supports one of us
-bestem 929 topcase
-eastern beaver wire harness to wire the extra brake and running lights in the topcase up to the bike
-some kind of center stand (not sure which)
-motosliders frame and swingarm sliders (I know I'm going to drop this bike in an embarrassing way, and these are much cheaper than engine guards and since I plan to do little or no offroading I thought these would be sufficient)

My wife says that's it.
Got the throttle lock already, but I appreciate the suggestion.

Your list looks very similar to mine. I think the airhawk is pretty great from the little time I have spent on it. The only irritating thing is you have to spend some time playing with it before you dial it in right. When you think there's no air in it, it's probably the right amount, lol! Good luck, I hope you get your bike soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
http://www.jcwhitney.com/garage-pro-...58683y1989u0j1

There's a guy in the XRL thread that posted this sale. He has one of these on his bike and has been very pleased with it. A friend gave me the medium sized version of this top case and I have been pleased with it. So much so I ordered this large version.

$44.95(+ tax) delivered is a great price!
Wow... that looks like a really good deal. How does this bolt up to the rear bike rack? For $50.... it might be worth rolling the dice on it for some extra storange, although I have learned that you typically get what ou pay for, so naturally I'm a bit leary of cheap stuff. The biggest downside would be if it's a noisy box with rattles or poor aerodynamics casuing irritating wind noise. That's something to research.

MariusD screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 12:56 PM
Old 04-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #24
MariusD OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm also going to add highway pegs to that list. If I can find some and get them in time.

Need to call this guy in the morning to see if he still makes these:

http://community-2.webtv.net/CHERDAN...omAccessories/
So I ordered the hwy pegs from this guy. he said I should get them in time! Almost $100 shipped... hope it;s worth it, but I think it will be given the length of the trip.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #25
greywolf
Unpaved road avoider

Oddometer: 981
I set up mine based on changes to my previous 2007 Wee. Madstad windscreen and mount, better seat - Russell this time, Rostra electronic cruise control, RR fork brace and lowered footpegs, heated gear dual controller and SW-Motech GPS over the instrument bracket lead the list.

in order of ownership
1971 Honda CB350, 2 1973 Honda CB500s, one was stolen, 1974 Can-Am 175 TNT, 1978 Yamaha XS11, 1978 Honda CX500, 1975 BMW R90S, 1983 BMW R65LS, 2005 Suzuki DL650 totaled, 2007 Suzuki DL650A, 2012 Suzuki DL650A
greywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #26
MariusD OP
Studly Adventurer

Well, I think I have addressed just about everything that could cause discomfort.

So two issues remain:

- Phone charger - need some quic solution.
- Either get top case or my carry bag gets wrapped in a trash bag and gets tied down to the rear rack/passenger seat.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #27
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
Quote:

- Phone charger - need some quic solution.

Go to the boating section of wal-mart, get a 12v cigarette lighter, wire it to the battery, problem solved for 15.00 including wire. I have had mine for about 6 years, and it has never given me a problem.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #28
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
I set up mine based on changes to my previous 2007 Wee. Madstad windscreen and mount, better seat - Russell this time, Rostra electronic cruise control, RR fork brace and lowered footpegs, heated gear dual controller and SW-Motech GPS over the instrument bracket lead the list.

I have those same bags, I took off the red pin stripe and replaced it with orange (my bike is orange) reflective tape off Ebay. Makes it look much better when it matches, and adds a little of bling at night ;-)
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #29
MariusD OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post
Go to the boating section of wal-mart, get a 12v cigarette lighter, wire it to the battery, problem solved for 15.00 including wire. I have had mine for about 6 years, and it has never given me a problem.
Really? Are you kidding me, it's that easy? That would be awesome! In that case going to make a trip to walmart tomorrow right after work and try to find it. Thanks!

Greywolf: Your wee looks amazingly comfy... makes me want that seat you got,, it just looks so inviting, like a comfy couch. I'm sure it's a world of difference. I'll try the airhawk for this trip, then i'll decide if it's really necessary to go with something better.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #30
MariusD OP
Studly Adventurer

The more I think about it the more I'm tempted to pick up one of the top cases you guys recommend.

So it's Garage pro ($45) VS bestem 929($90)

Is the bestem really much better? I do like the led light it has for some extra caution and it is a little sexier... hmmm...

If i order tonight I can probably still get it in time for the trip, I'll just have to probably install it the night before i leave, which sucks, but oh well...

So what y'all think?

MariusD screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 08:27 PM