Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #16
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
I don't think so. There are Prius taxis all over S.F. They take a hell of a beating.
Maybe so but I heard that they will only be good for maybe 400k miles.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #17
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 31,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1 View Post
I'd say dump it as soon as you can. It will never be worth more than it is today. (We can say that about most cars, but when this one tanks, it's nearly fucking useless, as opposed to the everlasting but worn out gas or diesel engine car).
Why is it nearly useless? There's only one recall on the hybrid system, battery replacement. The battery pack is three 12 volt NiMh batteries in series at 17 amp hr.

This is a funny bulletin from GM.
Quote:
Subject:
Service Alert: Concerns With Aftermarket Fuses in GM Vehicles
Models:
2008 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks (including Saturn)
2008 and Prior HUMMER H2, H3
2008 and Prior Saab 9-7X
Concerns with Harbor Freight Tools "Storehouse" Branded Blade Type Fuses

General Motors has become aware of a fuse recall by Harbor Freight Tools/Storehouse for a variety of aftermarket fuses. In two cases, these fuses have not provided protection for the wiring system of the vehicles they were customer installed in.

Upon testing the 15 amp version, it was found that the fuse still would not "open" when shorted directly across the battery terminals.

How to Identify These Fuses

Packed in a 120 piece set, the fuse has a translucent, hard plastic, blue body with the amperage stamped into the top. There are no white painted numbers on the fuse to indicate amperage. There are no identifying marks on the fuse to tell who is making it. The fuses are known to be distributed by Harbor Freight Tools but there may be other marketers, and packaging of this style of fuse. It would be prudent to replace these fuses if found in a customers vehicle. Likewise, if wiring overheating is found you should check the fuse panel for the presence of this style of fuse.

All GM dealers should use genuine GM fuses on the vehicles they service. You should also encourage the use of GM fuses to your customers to assure they are getting the required electrical system protection. GM has no knowledge of any concerns with other aftermarket fuses. If additional information becomes available, this bulletin will be updated.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"

Anorak screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 05:14 PM
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #18
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,794
Friends with Prius':

2001 Gen 1: bought new 210,000 miles, no problems - sold for $6,500 a year ago - still running fine (another friend bought it).
2004 Gen 2: bought new 45k - no problems. (rides a bicycle a lot)
2004 Gen 2: bought new 320,000 miles no problems.
2004 Gen 2; bought new 130,000 or so miles - no problems
2005 Gen 2; bought new 218,000 miles (last I heard) - no problems.

I haven't heard of these people, or anyone, needing to buy a battery pack (yet). I don't know the Saturn/GM battery life span though.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #19
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
The Hybrid Vues were/are pretty good. Very high fit and finish, much better than Ford's Escape Hybrid which was it's contemporary. Got better efficiency too. Although not as good as the real hybrids.

I miss ours.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #20
BeeCeeGS
WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer: 1,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
Friends with Prius':

2001 Gen 1: bought new 210,000 miles, no problems - sold for $6,500 a year ago - still running fine (another friend bought it).
2004 Gen 2: bought new 45k - no problems. (rides a bicycle a lot)
2004 Gen 2: bought new 320,000 miles no problems.
2004 Gen 2; bought new 130,000 or so miles - no problems
2005 Gen 2; bought new 218,000 miles (last I heard) - no problems.

I haven't heard of these people, or anyone, needing to buy a battery pack (yet). I don't know the Saturn/GM battery life span though.
The Prius seems to be very durable. And the bonus with the Prius being a popular taxi, is some cab company garages will repair them or replace batteries for far less than a dealer.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #21
jonnytorch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
I know a girl who has an older Honda Civic Hybrid that has had the battery pack die completely. It sits in her garage waiting for her to figure out what to do. I've never heard of this type of failure in a Prius. I did see a gen 2 Prius getting jumped by a tow truck a few weeks back. I post this being a fan of hybrids. I almost bought a Prius C-word but I decided on a regular Honda Civic coupe because of the killer deal. Sometimes I wish I got the Prius. Next time.
jonnytorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #22
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 16,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
Exactly.

I wonder what the environmental impact of all these batteries going into landfills will be.
The batteries won't simply go to a landfill. Anything reclaimable will be reclaimed. Anything hazardous will have to be processed.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #23
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
The batteries won't simply go to a landfill. Anything reclaimable will be reclaimed. Anything hazardous will have to be processed.
You can take a Prius battery pack apart, test the modules and assemble a good pack from a couple failed ones.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

Old 04-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #24
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
Exactly.

I wonder what the environmental impact of all these batteries going into landfills will be.
the irony and short sightedness of it all just kills me. People can just buy a small displacement car and drive like a sane person? Hell the new Fiat 500 gets 40 mpg.

Did anyone see this?

http://www.bbcamerica.com/top-gear/v...thirsty-prius/

now of course this is a total exaggeration, but where I live, Prius drivers are like drag racers.... so whats the point?
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #25
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
Why is it nearly useless?
Because, like I said, when it finally tanks, that is, the charging system goes or the engine has a problem, or the transmission, or whatever, else, No one is going to buy it to fix it up. They'll buy it for parts, maybe, for the last dinosaur Prius' out there, but no one's going to rebuild it. Instead, it will sit at the back lot of some garage, collecting weeds for the next millennium.

Or some hopeful soul will actually buy it, then realize what a problem he has, and it will gather the weeds in his own back yard.
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #26
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Because, like I said, when it finally tanks, that is, the charging system goes or the engine has a problem, or the transmission, or whatever, else, No one is going to buy it to fix it up. They'll buy it for parts, maybe, for the last dinosaur Prius' out there, but no one's going to rebuild it. Instead, it will sit at the back lot of some garage, collecting weeds for the next millennium.

Or some hopeful soul will actually buy it, then realize what a problem he has, and it will gather the weeds in his own back yard.
Are you a mechanic? Do you know anything about hybrids? They aren't mysterious boxes filled with witchery. They're easy to work on. Remember when automotive control electronics became more complex? Ignorant people were very upset because automobile repair and modification would no longer be possible by the consumer. Not true apparently.

Why do you care? Would you even buy a hybrid?

Old 04-02-2013, 11:34 PM   #27
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

1) No, I'm not a mechanic, but I do my own work on my own vehicles quite often.

2) Since the car is already old, and since it originally entertained a very small market segment anyway, it's reasonable to think that the number of people even interested in refreshing these cars or keeping them in good running condition 10 years out is quite small.

3) As a result of point 2, the aftermarket and OEM parts available will be smaller still, reflecting both the small size of the market for the older cars, and also the even smaller need for particular parts as they age.

4) As to why do I care...the topic is titled "what to do with an old hybrid." I offered a recommendation. Sell it before it's a money pit that no one wants. You'll constantly be sourcing parts from others with crapped out old Priuses trying to put a complete one together again.

That's what we do here. One person asks a question, other people give answers. Sorry my answer wasn't one you liked, but I wasn't talking to you anyway, was I?

5) Why are you so defensive? This isn't about you, and it's about an inanimate object.

SR1 screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 12:33 AM
Old 04-03-2013, 12:17 AM   #28
tkitna
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,934
Coworker had a Vue and had all kind of battery issues with it. I forget what he said it would cost to replace them, but it was enough that I would never buy one. He couldnt take it anymore and traded it in on a Ford Fusion.

2008 DL650
2013 Goldwing
tkitna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:22 AM   #29
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 9,899
Quote:
This isn't about you, and it's about an intimate object.
I need a referee on the field. Do we send this to Klay or Waterwheel?
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:33 AM   #30
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
I need a referee on the field. Do we send this to Klay or Waterwheel?

LOL good god no, I just bragged that Klay had never corrected me. That's what I get for typing and daydreaming at the same time!

Fixified! :)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: