Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,560
Computer Cabinet?

I know, odd thing to post here, but if not here, where?

Anyhow, I am looking for a cabinet that is about desk high, made of wood, that will have my printer on top, computer inside hidden, and room for 6 external hard drives, maybe to be converted to a RAID in the future. It needs to be able to neatly hold all the associated cables that go with this, as well as a power supply.

I've searched the net and either I am not calling it the right thing, or it doesn't exist.

I do not want it to be a part of my desk, which I already have, I do want it to look decent and be functional.

I can find stuff like this:

But it is too small and wouldn't hold any hard drives or power distribution blocks and looks like it belongs in a kid's room.

Basically I want something like this that will fit my computer and hard drives:

Any idea short of custom made?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,656
I generally don't like sticking my computers in enclosed spaces. Defeats the whole point of that high dollar max air flow case.

Power bricks by all means.

Stick the PC innards in something interesting.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,277
Rack mount cabinet? You could use shelves as well to give yourself more spacing.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
Rack mount cabinet? You could use shelves as well to give yourself more spacing.
I could, but I am looking for furniture grade, not industrial grade.

This is what I have now:

Behind the computer is a large power block, six hard drives and an external DVD burner.

I would like to fill the space with something that actually resembles furniture. Large vent holes in the back and sides is fine, even semi-concealed vents in front.

Jim
Old 04-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,277
Well, how about a computer armoire? Should have room for the printer in the main body and lots of room for drives - if you have to vent it with a couple of fans?

Any sort of "side cabinet" type of thing if you can live with the printer on top could do - if it had a drawer, remove drawer and replace with a ventilation screen?

Seems like a perfect time to troll thru the second hand stores for something that will fit your space.

I would be tempted to go with the rack in the basement and a remote printer, etc.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:18 AM   #6
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
Well, how about a computer armoire? Should have room for the printer in the main body and lots of room for drives - if you have to vent it with a couple of fans?

Any sort of "side cabinet" type of thing if you can live with the printer on top could do - if it had a drawer, remove drawer and replace with a ventilation screen?

Seems like a perfect time to troll thru the second hand stores for something that will fit your space.

I would be tempted to go with the rack in the basement and a remote printer, etc.
Yeah, after a fairly extensive search of the internet, unless there is a name for it I don't know of, I am coming to the conclusion that I will have to modify something to make it work. Maybe a basic cabinet with door(s) on it that is big enough.

I'm just surprised that I am not seeing more. You would think a market would exist for this.

I do plan to use a vent fan to keep the air circulating. I'll post up whatever I can come up with.

Thanks,

Jim

PS No basement.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
mblanco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Take a look at the anthro cart website to get ideas.

Mark
mblanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:07 AM   #8
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Close, just a bit wider would be perfect.

http://smartshopbuy.com/HomeDecorati...rinter-stn.htm

Jim
Old 07-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #9
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Finally found something. Not particularly nice, but functional, and only needed a few mods:

I cut the shelf to make room for the computer, and used the cut part to support the shelf. The shelf holds my four external hard drives, and below it the power plugs.

Not that pretty, but better than I had and very functional.

Jim

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: