ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #46
single
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
No one made any mention of money, just the referenced Honda. No one suggested he spend more than the Honda cost for a different motorcycle.
The implication was there I think, and certainly there is a strong undertones in this thread of the necessity of buying an exotic machine to help you "live life".

Life happens on the open road, and the more miles you can put on out there the better the life, in my not so humble opinion. Seems some people lose sight of it, especially with how quickly they can call other motorcycles "reliable and boring".

Just my two cents.
single is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #47
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur
 
High Country Herb's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras
Oddometer: 6,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by single View Post
Always amazes me how many young dudes equate spending money with living life.
Interesting. I took "live a little" a different way. I assumed the OP wanted something sporty or wild, but not necessarily expensive, since the list of bikes included supermoto styles.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #48
objectuser
Gnarly Adventurer
 
objectuser's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Interesting. I took "live a little" a different way. I assumed the OP wanted something sporty or wild, but not necessarily expensive, since the list of bikes included supermoto styles.
I did too.
objectuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #49
Stroked 550 OP
Dirt Nut
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: NorCal / Socal
Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Interesting. I took "live a little" a different way. I assumed the OP wanted something sporty or wild, but not necessarily expensive, since the list of bikes included supermoto styles.
Yes that's exactly what I want...
Stroked 550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #50
waveydavey
happy times!!
 
waveydavey's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Pulling dragons from the ground again
Oddometer: 9,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by single View Post
The implication was there I think, and certainly there is a strong undertones in this thread of the necessity of buying an exotic machine to help you "live life".

Life happens on the open road, and the more miles you can put on out there the better the life, in my not so humble opinion. Seems some people lose sight of it, especially with how quickly they can call other motorcycles "reliable and boring".

Just my two cents.
Don't discount the intangible things that stir you when you ride your bike. The things that have you taking the long way round when you can sometimes. More miles makes more enjoyment does it not?
__________________
FUCK CANCER!!!!
waveydavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #51
single
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Interesting. I took "live a little" a different way. I assumed the OP wanted something sporty or wild, but not necessarily expensive, since the list of bikes included supermoto styles.
The obvious implication of the exchange I was referring to was that somehow the guy who goes into the dealership and buys a NC700 is somehow not living his life. As if two guys who go into the dealership with 10 grand, one who comes out with a Street Triple is living his life more then the guy who comes out with a NC700. In fact, both of them are living very similar lives, they spend their time going to a dealership and buying motorcycles.

I was just commenting on how I see this trend in a lot of younger people these days, defining themselves by the material objects they buy, in this case, pretending that exchanging money for one sort of motorcycle is "living life".

Simply put - don't lose sight of the meaningful things - which in my opinion, is something that is happening with people who follow the line of reasoning I was referring to originally. Cheers
single is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #52
Stroked 550 OP
Dirt Nut
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: NorCal / Socal
Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by single View Post
The obvious implication of the exchange I was referring to was that somehow the guy who goes into the dealership and buys a NC700 is somehow not living his life. As if two guys who go into the dealership with 10 grand, one who comes out with a Street Triple is living his life more then the guy who comes out with a NC700. In fact, both of them are living very similar lives, they spend their time going to a dealership and buying motorcycles.

I was just commenting on how I see this trend in a lot of younger people these days, defining themselves by the material objects they buy, in this case, pretending that exchanging money for one sort of motorcycle is "living life".

Simply put - don't lose sight of the meaningful things - which in my opinion, is something that is happening with people who follow the line of reasoning I was referring to originally. Cheers
When I am really living life I am up in the mountains exploring new trails or on a twisty country road ... Right now I am stuck in the city lol
Stroked 550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #53
JerryH
Vintage Rider
 
JerryH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 4,643
Don't know about anybody else, but I would buy a bike based on what I was going to use it for. I just can't see buying a Ducati for a "daily driver" If you want an exotic sport bike, and actually intend to use it as a sport bike, then get a Ducati. But do not expect it to be a good daily driver. Such bikes are to high strung and uncomfortable for "transportation"
__________________
I won't spend more on a bike than I think it's worth, but if it's a good deal, I don't seem to have a problem buying bikes I don't need.
2002 Vulcan 750, 2013 Royal Enfield B5
2001 XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:53 PM   #54
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t
 
Blakebird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Parker, CO
Oddometer: 15,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Don't know about anybody else, but I would buy a bike based on what I was going to use it for. I just can't see buying a Ducati for a "daily driver" If you want an exotic sport bike, and actually intend to use it as a sport bike, then get a Ducati. But do not expect it to be a good daily driver. Such bikes are to high strung and uncomfortable for "transportation"
By saying "Ducati" like they make only one type of bike is just insane.

The Multistrada is one of the best roadgoing bikes out there today.
The Diavel is very comfortable, and quite capable for a "muscle bike".

I had a first generation 2V Multistrada, and it was an extremely good bike to travel on, and was hella fun in the canyons to boot.
The Monster is a pretty fun bike, as well as the Hypermotard - and neither have extreme riding positions.

They make some great race bred bikes - and going back to the 916 most would agree their sportbikes require some dedication to put up with the ergos on your daily commute - but to say it's exotic and not well suited for daily driving shows how absolutely out of touch you are.

"high strung and uncomfortable".... you could not be more mistaken if you tried.
__________________
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:29 PM   #55
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon
 
Jimmy the Heater's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: WA Palouse area
Oddometer: 1,847
I can say this because I've owned them, Don't get the BMW. While mine has been more reliable than I thought it would be, a daily driver, they are not.

SV650, Ninja 650, Hell even an older Supersport like an R6 or CBR 600rr can be made comfy and easily stir the soul.

All of those are good for 100k miles if looked after.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:56 AM   #56
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer
 
BobPS's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Don't know about anybody else, but I would buy a bike based on what I was going to use it for. I just can't see buying a Ducati for a "daily driver" If you want an exotic sport bike, and actually intend to use it as a sport bike, then get a Ducati. But do not expect it to be a good daily driver. Such bikes are to high strung and uncomfortable for "transportation"
Well, I've been riding my 2012 Ducati Monster every day, rain or shine, since June last year. It's my daily commuter. It's really comfortable and it's been really reliable. And it's been a great daily driver. It's my main transportation. I only drive when I go with the wife and daughter.

And the reason I bought my bike, the reason why I picked the Monster, was because I want to use it as a commuter.

The same reason I bought my Sportster ten years earlier, to use it a a commuter. I needed a bike for commuting and back then HD was the only brand that can be bought easily here. So, I bought my sportster I used it as a commuter for ten years. I rode the bike every day just like I do with my monster.

At the time being I'm thinking about getting another bike. An adventure bike like Tiger 800, or TR 650 or BMW Sertao, or another naked bike like a Street triple. I haven't made up my mind yet. Whatever bike I pick, it has to be able to be used as a commuter. I won't buy a bike that can only be ridden on weekends. I figure I will ride it one day and the monster the next day
__________________
Bob
2012 Monster 795
2011 Husky TE 630

BobPS screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 07:49 AM
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #57
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t
 
Blakebird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Parker, CO
Oddometer: 15,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
I can say this because I've owned them, Don't get the BMW. While mine has been more reliable than I thought it would be, a daily driver, they are not.
a BMW not a good daily driver....

I've had K-bike, airheads, oilheads - and put tons of miles on each of them with as much reliability as an owner could ask for. Extremely reliable and fun to own and ride, NO more problems than any other bike I've owned.

So a person has some bad anecdotal stories about his ownership experience, and tries to tell a person asking for advice to avoid BMW because they're not daily driver material.... well, I sure wouldn't be listening to that kind of advice in the face of knowing how many satisfied owners there are around the world.
__________________
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #58
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon
 
Jimmy the Heater's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: WA Palouse area
Oddometer: 1,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
a BMW not a good daily driver....

I've had K-bike, airheads, oilheads - and put tons of miles on each of them with as much reliability as an owner could ask for. Extremely reliable and fun to own and ride, NO more problems than any other bike I've owned.

So a person has some bad anecdotal stories about his ownership experience, and tries to tell a person asking for advice to avoid BMW because they're not daily driver material.... well, I sure wouldn't be listening to that kind of advice in the face of knowing how many satisfied owners there are around the world.

Well I'm happy that you found a brand/bike that worked for you
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #59
squish
Out of the office.
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Where the Ghetto meets the sea.
Oddometer: 5,937
Given the ops age and the bikes they listed...

A nc700 is as far from what they are looking at.

The hyper is fantastic motorcycle for sporty riding as stock. You can do things to it to make it more touring focused.

The monster is a decent balance of comfort fun and sporty.

But if it was my dollars and I was looking at the bikes you are looking at. It get a street triple.
And see if I could find a hard bag kit for it.

Btw and to put things in perspective we own a hypermotard, r100gs, dl650, sv650 and a Honda919 with hard bags
__________________
On vacation for a spell
squish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #60
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t
 
Blakebird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Parker, CO
Oddometer: 15,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
Well I'm happy that you found a brand/bike that worked for you
I've found many.....60 at last count since 1968 - pick a brand and I've probably owned one or two.

It's tough to buy a bad new bike these days - everyone gets a troublesome unit from time to time, but that doesn't mean the brand deserves to be blackballed off someone's list completely.
__________________
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014