Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 01:28 AM   #1
ShadowXIX OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Tiger 800 Roadie as first DS bike?

Hey guys,
Been thinking about taking this plunge for a while. I test road a Tiger 800 roadie the other day because I find the xc to have too high of a seat for me. I thoroughly enjoyed the roadie but they wouldn't let me take it off pavement at all sadly. Just want to make sure that the roadie is a safe choice for a first time DS rider? Or should I be looking at the BMW f700gs?

I expect to do at absolute most 85 road 15 off with most of that being dirt trails and established paths. No brush whacking here, haha. I have had 2 cruisers as bikes, a 650 v star and a 900 Vulcan. A big constraint for me is low , below 32 inches or so seat height. Anything higher I m just not comfortable with.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
ShadowXIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:03 AM   #2
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,407
If you are considering the Tiger 800 vs F700GS, I'd say it's a no-brainer.

Tiger every time.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:13 AM   #3
Bollocks
Farts with an Accent™

Oddometer: 4,939
+ 1 Tiger.

Edit: Where's my manners....Welcome to the Asylum mate.

Now post booby pics.

The Self-Preservation Society
BMW F800R Grin factor 10
08 Triumph 1050 Toight like a Toiger RIP
Bollocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #4
frytown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
The only thing you'd maybe want to consider down the road if you end up off pavement more is a suspension upgrade. The stock forks, especially, are a bit crude for off road. Hell, they're overwhelmed by the crap freeway on my commute!
I've only taken mine on dirt two tracks and I only notice the fork's shortcomings when it gets really rough. But, by then I'm going slow so it's not too bad.
The bike is super easy handling in squirrely, loose gravel, with good throttle response, and pretty neutral steering.
I'll bet you'll be stoked!
frytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
ShadowXIX OP
n00b

Bollocks,
Don't think the girl would be amused with me ambushing her right now, she's sleeping. I could always pics of my boobies Might result in a couple cops being called though

It is good to hear the overwhelmingly Tigger response.

I've been watching some of the threads in regards to reliability. As long as I don't beat on it too hard I should be ok, correct?

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowXIX View Post
I've been watching some of the threads in regards to reliability. As long as I don't beat on it too hard I should be ok, correct?
I haven't heard any issues with regard to Tiger reliability. Haven't had any issues myself either.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
ShadowXIX OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I haven't heard any issues with regard to Tiger reliability. Haven't had any issues myself either.
I saw mention in other threads of stalling and other ecu or computer issues and wanted to make sure it isn't a common issue
Old 04-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #8
cug
--

Quote:
I saw mention in other threads of stalling and other ecu or computer issues and wanted to make sure it isn't a common issue
That's not a reliability issue but instead was a bug in the fuel mapping. Fixed for a long, long time now.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #9
Seve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Hey guys,
Been thinking about taking this plunge for a while. I test road a Tiger 800 roadie the other day because I find the xc to have too high of a seat for me. I thoroughly enjoyed the roadie but they wouldn't let me take it off pavement at all sadly. Just want to make sure that the roadie is a safe choice for a first time DS rider? Or should I be looking at the BMW f700gs?

I expect to do at absolute most 85 road 15 off with most of that being dirt trails and established paths. No brush whacking here, haha. I have had 2 cruisers as bikes, a 650 v star and a 900 Vulcan. A big constraint for me is low , below 32 inches or so seat height. Anything higher I m just not comfortable with.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
No reliability issues that I have seen either.

If you are concerned about the height, for a reasonable price you have the option of purchasing a lowering kit. There are a several manufacturers out there, this is just one.
http://www.soupysperformance.com/tiger800.html
Seve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #10
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seve View Post
If you are concerned about the height, for a reasonable price you have the option of purchasing a lowering kit.
I would strongly recommend not doing this. The Tiger Roadie doesn't have a lot of lean angle to begin with and restricting this further can be dangerous if you are a moderately fast rider.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #11
ShadowXIX OP
n00b

Oh no, that wasn't my intention. The stock Roadie seat at whatever height the dealer had it set at was perfectly fine for me. I was able to sit on the bike with feet flat on the ground and start to bend my knees. That is a comfy height for me.

The XC I had trouble even flat footing.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:54 AM   #12
Seve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I would strongly recommend not doing this. The Tiger Roadie doesn't have a lot of lean angle to begin with and restricting this further can be dangerous if you are a moderately fast rider.
My mistake, I should have made it more clear that I was referring to the the Tiger 800XC.

Cheers !
Seve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:28 AM   #13
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seve View Post
My mistake, I should have made it more clear that I was referring to the the Tiger 800XC!
Personally, I wouldn't do it there either. The XC has soft suspension and will touch down hard parts fairly easy after that change as soon as you are not super light weight and ride a bit faster in bumpy corners. But of course ymmv.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:20 AM   #14
elan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
It's my first DS and I couldn't be happier (I came from sport bikes and super motards). I have a 30" inseam with the gel seat in the "high" position. Can get both feet down fine on my Roadie. I did a lot of looking at the BMWs, but decided I'm not a BMW guy - nearest dealer being over an hour away didn't help either.
elan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #15
ShadowXIX OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
It's my first DS and I couldn't be happier (I came from sport bikes and super motards). I have a 30" inseam with the gel seat in the "high" position. Can get both feet down fine on my Roadie. I did a lot of looking at the BMWs, but decided I'm not a BMW guy - nearest dealer being over an hour away didn't help either.
Only reason I was thinking about a BMW is that the dealer here is literally 5 mins away and is not run by complete a** hats. The Triumph is 10 mins away and were complete a**holes when I went by. It took me sitting in the dealership for 8 hrs to una** themselves and get a Roadie ready for me to try even though I had coordinated with them 2 weeks ahead. And they also were pushing like crazy for me to buy the bike same day even though I was insistent that I would not be buying. The BMW folks on the other hand had no pressure and seemed like they genuinely wanted to help me get on the right bike.

Oh well, I'll be moving in a year anyway.