ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #1
Gummee! OP
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,376
New Diesel Bimmer Coming!

New 328d on the way



Too bad BMW has jumped the shark with the new 3 Series. Bigger is NOT better.

New 3 series seems to be about the size of an older 5 series and the 5 series is darn near as big as an older 7 series!

Last gen 5er is only 1.5"ish wider and 8"ish longer than this 3er. Like I said: the new 3 series is going the wrong way for a 'sports sedan.'

As another data point, this new 3 series is almost exactly the same size as the 5 series from 88-96.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #2
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,283
I remember when the 5 was smaller than that, and lighter.

__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:54 AM   #3
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 47,848
Mike, seriously? BIMMER not Beemer!

Nice looking car!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
Gummee! OP
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Mike, seriously? BIMMER not Beemer!

Nice looking car!

Jim
Whatever dood. Its got a roundel on it.

It'll still be a good car, just not what it *could* be.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
Anorak
Woolf Barnato
 
Anorak's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: OAK
Oddometer: 32,157
They'll sell 50 in California and 50 in the rest of the USA. I actually saw a 335d a few days ago.
__________________
'Gonna get me a six pack...push people off the highway!'

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #6
troidus
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 11,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
New 328d on the way



Too bad BMW has jumped the shark with the new 3 Series. Bigger is NOT better.

New 3 series seems to be about the size of an older 5 series and the 5 series is darn near as big as an older 7 series!

Last gen 5er is only 1.5"ish wider and 8"ish longer than this 3er. Like I said: the new 3 series is going the wrong way for a 'sports sedan.'

As another data point, this new 3 series is almost exactly the same size as the 5 series from 88-96.

M
Americans are a lot wider than they were in the 80s, too. Cars had to grow so we could still close the doors.
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
Anorak
Woolf Barnato
 
Anorak's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: OAK
Oddometer: 32,157
A new customer just came in with a 2005 BMW X-3 with a manual transmission. The first one I've seen.
__________________
'Gonna get me a six pack...push people off the highway!'

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 47,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Whatever dood. Its got a roundel on it.

It'll still be a good car, just not what it *could* be.

M
I just figured an ex-Beemer owner would know better!

What would you do differently?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #9
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target
 
eatpasta's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Santa Barbara, Ca
Oddometer: 9,710
Im not sure if that one is going to have three turbos like the X5 but BMW is going to drive themselves out of business....

Their new thing is that starting 2013 you HAVE to take the car to a BMW dealer to connect the car to BMW North America whenever you get it worked on - no more independent shops can work on new cars.
Also their stuff is so unbelievably complicated now, nobody in their right mind would own one out of warranty.
__________________
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T. S. Eliot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #10
A-Bone
Indubitably
 
A-Bone's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Cow Hampsha, (NH, USA)
Oddometer: 12,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
Im not sure if that one is going to have three turbos like the X5 but BMW is going to drive themselves out of business....

Their new thing is that starting 2013 you HAVE to take the car to a BMW dealer to connect the car to BMW North America whenever you get it worked on - no more independent shops can work on new cars.
Also their stuff is so unbelievably complicated now, nobody in their right mind would own one out of warranty.
That sounds a little far fetched to me....

Doesn't that break some kind of anti-trust bs???
A-Bone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #11
Lee C
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario Canada
Oddometer: 547
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
They'll sell 50 in California and 50 in the rest of the USA. I actually saw a 335d a few days ago.
I have a new tenant that has a 09 335D the kid loves it
Lee C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #12
JMead11
Crazy Bastard
 
JMead11's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Oddometer: 2,657
I'm driving a 325iT sport-wagon right now, and would love a diesel bimmer, but I am holding out for a 120d.
JMead11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #13
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Burnaby, BC
Oddometer: 2,694
Even more importantly, the diesel is coming in a AWD wagon format as well.

It's something the TDI and Subaru fanatics have been screaming about for years, that the minute an AWD diesel wagon hits our shores they'll buy it. Time for those folks to put their money where their mouths were.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #14
jdiaz
.
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: Elburn, IL
Oddometer: 32,025
New Diesel Bimmer Coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuter Boy View Post
Even more importantly, the diesel is coming in a AWD wagon format as well.



It's something the TDI and Subaru fanatics have been screaming about for years, that the minute an AWD diesel wagon hits our shores they'll buy it. Time for those folks to put their money where their mouths were.
None of the Subaru or Jetta drivers will ante up $40+k for one. Maybe one of America's 300 Audi A3 owners will.
jdiaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #15
Anorak
Woolf Barnato
 
Anorak's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: OAK
Oddometer: 32,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
None of the Subaru or Jetta drivers will ante up $40+k for one. Maybe one of America's 300 Audi A3 owners will.
The Bay Area is lousy with A3's. Zipcar has a bunch of the TDI's.
__________________
'Gonna get me a six pack...push people off the highway!'

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014