Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #16
Dubl-A OP
MADE IN BURQUE

Oddometer: 1,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjeeper View Post
Ok, you did misunderstand me. Salvage value was $300. Insurance was for $2000. Insurance co wrote me a check for $1700 on the spot, and I kept the wreck.

No, you withheld information

Either way, you made out well!
Old 04-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #17
crazyjeeper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
No, you withheld information

Either way, you made out well!
Same difference.

Anyways, good luck in your dealings with the insurance co, I know I would be damn near homicidal if that happened to me.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #18
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,904
Quote:
This.

I crashed my 1984 VF500F, destroyed the plastics, bent forks, etc. Insurance co. guy said it had a salvage value of $700. I said no way, called a local salvage yard, he said it was worth $50, and the insurance guy met me in the middle at $300, which was about right given the still usable bits of it.

So, like Mark said, don't be afraid to negotiate the value of your loss with the insurance adjuster, you should be able to then recover some of your accessory cost and lessen the monetary loss considerably.
So you negotiated and lost money is what you're saying here or am I missing something? You should have called William Shatner.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #19
crazyjeeper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
So you negotiated and lost money is what you're saying here or am I missing something? You should have called William Shatner.
Maybe true, but I actually made money, see above.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #20
Dubl-A OP
MADE IN BURQUE

Also, since this is prime riding season and I usually commute on the bike back and forth from work. What are my chances of rental reimbursments or daily fees??

Dubl-A screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 12:28 PM
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #21
IndyTiger800
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
They are good.
I have gotten a rental car paid for even when I have had an extra car at home.
This would have to be part of the settlement, because I'm guessing that you don't have rental on your MC policy.
IndyTiger800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #22
AlaskaFish
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Cool2

For sure you need to stand your grounds on the value of the Bike. I just totaled my 2012 Tiger 800XC a couple of months back, and the Ins Co offered up a ridiculous price for the practically new machne: $9K +. I had over $2K worth of aftermarket stuff on her along with some of the major factory options. I was able to say no on their initial offer by showing receipts for a lot of the aftermarket stuff and suggesting that they look at any 800XC's for sale similarly outfitted. They eventually came back with an offer of $12K or close to that & I accepted.

Sure did hurt to see such a new machine totaled!

Good Luck!

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTiger800 View Post
If you have a good relationship with your dealer, then go to them and have then give you a quote for the selling price for your bike used, stock.

Next have a list for all of the items that you have installed on the bike.
List new replacement cost and include your labor if you installed them. If the dealer has installed them then the labor will be in the cost of the item.

Do not take their first offer. Don't get upset with them just hold your ground.
Remember they are paid to get this settled and it was their cliants falt.

PS. dibs on the rear shock.
AlaskaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #23
Dubl-A OP
MADE IN BURQUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish View Post
For sure you need to stand your grounds on the value of the Bike. I just totaled my 2012 Tiger 800XC a couple of months back, and the Ins Co offered up a ridiculous price for the practically new machne: $9K +. I had over $2K worth of aftermarket stuff on her along with some of the major factory options. I was able to say no on their initial offer by showing receipts for a lot of the aftermarket stuff and suggesting that they look at any 800XC's for sale similarly outfitted. They eventually came back with an offer of $12K or close to that & I accepted.

Sure did hurt to see such a new machine totaled!

Good Luck!

John

WOW, exactly what I was looking for! So couple questions to you..

- How many miles once it was totalled?
- How many months old was it?
- Honestly how much of a loss from original purchase/TTL/etc did you walk away with???
Old 04-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #24
AlaskaFish
n00b

Cool2

Bike only had a little over 6K on it! I had just recently done that Inspection on it. It was less that a year old.

I probably lost from $2-3K on the settlement, but decided it was worth it just to get out from under the loan which I still owed against the Bike.

I can start fresh all over again soon here. Maybe a TEX!

John
Quote:
WOW, exactly what I was looking for! So couple questions to you..

- How many miles once it was totalled?
- How many months old was it?
- Honestly how much of a loss from original purchase/TTL/etc did you walk away with???
Old 04-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #25
Dubl-A OP
MADE IN BURQUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish View Post
Bike only had a little over 6K on it! I had just recently done that Inspection on it. It was less that a year old.

I probably lost from $2-3K on the settlement, but decided it was worth it just to get out from under the loan which I still owed against the Bike.

I can start fresh all over again soon here. Maybe a TEX!

John
Thanks for the reply John!

Almost identical situation. I'm pretty frustrated as I put about $5k down and now it looks like I have lost more than half of that.

If you dont mind me asking, what happened to yours? Any pics??
Old 04-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #26
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,927
Quote:
[COLOR=white]
[COLOR=white][FONT=Tahoma]I'm posting in the Beast section as I would like to hear actual owners and possibly actual experience of these owners if they exist pertaining to my situation.
Yes Suxs.

I spoke to a major repairer in Australia about this whole single piece frame thing and his basic response was that it was a single part and be replaced if any bit of that was bent.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=4084

They can theoretically weld on anything to that frame as long as it doesn't heat the main section connecting the swing arm to head stem. They would have to be able to find another frame to take donor parts from to do this.

Generally these bikes in the claws of Australian insurance companies are written off. Too many people have sued etc so now it is all duty of care and genuine new parts all the way.

YMMV.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #27
AlaskaFish
n00b

Cool2

Totally embarassing situation for someone who has been riding for over 40 years: Wet Leaves! Just got caught by surprise on a small two lane mountain road and the Tiger got away from me. I went off nice & slow on the low side & had to watch my little cat self destruct when she slid ahead of me and took a flying leap & came down on the forks!

I was wearing ATGATT as usual & did not have a bruise or scratch on my body. the gear took some abrasion & the helmet was totaled! The Ins Co would not cover the riding gear, but they totally re-imbursed me for a new Neo-Tech to replace my Shoei! That was explained by them as due to the fact that a helmet is required by Oregon state law, but the rest of the gear is not. I argued that they really ought to encourage the gear as that is why they were not getting hit with medical bills, but to no avail!

I elected to not keep the Bike and let them go ahead and auction it off. It sold with a Salvage Title recently here for around $5K. I met the buyer and was able to offer him some of my items that I no longer need for a fair price!

Water under the bridge! And happy to be still walking!

John
Quote:
Thanks for the reply John!

Almost identical situation. I'm pretty frustrated as I put about $5k down and now it looks like I have lost more than half of that.

If you dont mind me asking, what happened to yours? Any pics??
Old 04-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #28
mint julep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Sorry to hear Dubl-A.

I had a low speed lowside on my 4 month old Scrambler.
The bike didn't look it ,but according to insurance adjuster and dealer/mechanic, about $7-8k damage.

My bike was written off.
The bad part was I wasn't covered for full replacement as I found out.
I lost about $2-3k in the coverage for depreciation and what not from insurance. :(

I added to that sum and bought a Tiger 800xc to replace the Scrambler.

Good luck, hope you get another soon.

Dave
mint julep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #29
efria
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Totally sucks - I see you every now and then going through Rio Rancho. I ride an Orange 800XC - live in North Rio Rancho.

My advice is to go through your insurance company and let them handle all of the work. You will have to front the deductible, but you will get that back once the two insurance companies settle between them. Remember - you pay your insurance company to be your advocate in situations like this. Use them.

PJs rocks - glad they are helping you.
efria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #30
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Maybe true, but I actually made money, see above.
Well, an agreed value policy implies that the vehicle was worth the agreed value - regardless of what you 'had in it'. In my experience with agreed/stated policies for cars, insurance companies avoid writing policies at inflated values. So, hard to say if you made money vs selling it outright.
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote