User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
motoretro OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Guzzi Griso

Can anyone who's either ridden or owns a newer Moto Guzzi Griso 1200/8V comment on the ride/bump compliance on black top back roads?
thanks,
Motoretro
motoretro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,130
I've ridden one and the suspension was not dialled-in for my weight or style. That spoiled the ride a bit.

But, afaik, it's fully adjustable.

It's still my dream 'road warrior'.

This post is just treading water until some actual owners shop up .
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
motoretro OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for input, I'm at 200 lbs and 5'-11" ready for the road. I'm interested although heard their pretty stiff over pavement breaks, 200 miles round trip from a test ride and dealing with thoracic issues so thought I'd ask.

Motoretro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
I've ridden one and the suspension was not dialled-in for my weight or style. That spoiled the ride a bit.

But, afaik, it's fully adjustable.

It's still my dream 'road warrior'.

This post is just treading water until some actual owners shop up .

motoretro screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 01:23 PM
Old 04-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
jrflanne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Suspension isn't bad at all. The Griso is an absolute hoot to ride.
jrflanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoretro View Post
Thanks for input, I'm at 200 lbs and 5'-11" ready for the road. I'm interested although heard their pretty stiff over pavement breaks, 200 miles from a test ride and dealing with thoracic issues so thought I'd ask.

Motoretro
I'd call the dealer and, considering your health concerns, see if you can get an extended test ride.

My local dealer (about 45 miles away) will give a full morning or afternoon on a bike if you are serious about buying.

Why not make it a nice day out?
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #6
motoretro OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sounds like a good idea, just hoping to get some preliminary feedback before driving 4 hours.
Thanks, Motoretro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
I'd call the dealer and, considering your health concerns, see if you can get an extended test ride.

My local dealer (about 45 miles away) will give a full morning or afternoon on a bike if you are serious about buying.

Why not make it a nice day out?
Old 04-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
ddddd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I have a friend who has recently received a new 2012 Griso, he states it came set very firm from the factory, but buy backing off the compression and rebound damping front and rear he now states it rides like a limo
ddddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
motoretro OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks, that's good to hear.
Motoretro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddddd View Post
I have a friend who has recently received a new 2012 Griso, he states it came set very firm from the factory, but buy backing off the compression and rebound damping front and rear he now states it rides like a limo
Old 04-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #9
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,601
My 2007 Griso was set up very wrong, as most are. Too much comp damping makes for a harsh ride. A few minutes with the clickers and you are all set.

I dropped my fork tubes in the trees which made the bike track much better in corners. All adjustments are described in the shop manuals.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #10
motoretro OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the tips, sounds like I need to arrange a Test ride.
Motoretro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
My 2007 Griso was set up very wrong, as most are. Too much comp damping makes for a harsh ride. A few minutes with the clickers and you are all set.

I dropped my fork tubes in the trees which made the bike track much better in corners. All adjustments are described in the shop manuals.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #11
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
There is someone around here that has a gorgeous green griso - just can't remember who...
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #12
Street Hawk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
I have a 2011 Tenni 8v Griso. I think they all come set up a bit stiff, but it is adjustable and softens up. Roads are horrible where I live and I'm surviving fine.. Very fun ride, you wouldn't regret it...at least in my opinion.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #13
motoretro OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm also partial to Green. I have upper back issues so need to be able to dial in things for comfy ride. Slight/some lean actually benefit's my back. Any changes other than paint between yours and the new 2013 SE's ?
Thanks, Motoretro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
I have a 2011 Tenni 8v Griso. I think they all come set up a bit stiff, but it is adjustable and softens up. Roads are horrible where I live and I'm surviving fine.. Very fun ride, you wouldn't regret it...at least in my opinion.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #14
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 17,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Yellow View Post
There is someone around here that has a gorgeous green griso - just can't remember who...
Woud it be this lovely bike:

When I first got it, it was harsh. Set the SAG front and rear, backed off on the compression and now it rides good. Firm but no longer harsh. Some of the initial harshness issue I had was that the preload was set for some who must have weighed 300 lbs. My first comments were that it's a bike that'll put a little blood in your urine. The trouble with trying one at a dealer is that it won't be setup for you and it sounds like a lot of folks had to go through a complete suspension setup like I did so a dealer bike won't be too representitive of what it can be. Remember though that it wants to be a sport bike so the suspension is on the firm side.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:39 AM   #15
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS View Post
Woud it be this lovely bike:

When I first got it, it was harsh. Set the SAG front and rear, backed off on the compression and now it rides good. Firm but no longer harsh. Some of the initial harshness issue I had was that the preload was set for some who must have weighed 300 lbs. My first comments were that it's a bike that'll put a little blood in your urine. The trouble with trying one at a dealer is that it won't be setup for you and it sounds like a lot of folks had to go through a complete suspension setup like I did so a dealer bike won't be too representitive of what it can be. Remember though that it wants to be a sport bike so the suspension is on the firm side.
How does it go around corners? I test rode a 1200 sport a couple a years ago because I liked the look of it and the guzzi ethos but I absolutely hated it. That thing just wouldn't corner properly - it either wanted to go straight, or wallowed the bars. I honestly thought I was going to fall over midcorner in a roundbout for a while there. But it might have been that particular bike that was horribly setup.

How's yours for handling? I know it's a heavy bike but does it feel neutral and relaxed in a corner or do you have to muscle it around?
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote