ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 10:15 AM   #46
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 4,180
Yeah, well, that is a goddam shame because that is a spectacular looking bike. I'm afraid I would have to paint mine and change the seat if I ever get one.

I did that with my Kawasaki Versys. I fell in love with the black on black for the next model year, the left over model from the previous year was thousands cheaper. So I got the cheaper one and painted it. It was kawasaki lime green when I got it:



__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #47
rocker59
diplomatico di moto
 
rocker59's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: The Trans-Mississippi
Oddometer: 15,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Yeah, I'm wondering how one would get one of these. This color is just incredible. The new ones look nice, but not the same classic/custom look as this one.

Me want....NOW!!
You won't find one new, but there have been a few used ones advertised over the past few months.
__________________
Rocker59 (aka guzzimike), Aux Arcs (NW Arkansas)
Moto Guzzi: LeMans 1000 CI, Sport 1100, V11 LeMans Nero Corsa
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #48
RonS
Out there...
 
RonS's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Dancing with roads
Oddometer: 17,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleTee View Post
Thsi is one of the most beautiful bikes I've ever laid covetous eyes on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac57 View Post
Homina -freakin-hominahomina.
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Yeah, I'm wondering how one would get one of these. This color is just incredible. The new ones look nice, but not the same classic/custom look as this one.

Me want....NOW!!


Yeah, in my mind, with that color scheme the bike was a classic the day it rolled off the assembly line. Though some would disagree, I think the mini-faring completes the look. I posted the paint brand and numbers that I used to paint that faring in the big Guzzi thread. Took a couple of tries before I got the right mix. It's a very very close match. One could always paint their bike though I'm not sure how difficult the decals would be to source and then there is the seat that would need to be matched as well. The bike wouldn't be the same without that brown leather. Whoever came up with that paint scheme has an eye for beauty. And you guys are not alone. It’s a bike that gets comments nearly every time I stop somewhere. Last week I was in the middle of nowhere (east of Wenatchee WA up in the Okanogan) stopped at a gas stop when a guy walks up and says “That bike is just beautiful”. I say “thank you”. He repeats again “That bike is just beautiful” as he shakes his head and walks into the store. The old time motorcyclists seem to be the ones that appreciate it the most. They always seem to stop and chat.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #49
Unleaded
Unit Train
 
Unleaded's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Hellinois
Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrflanne View Post
The Tenni Green Griso sold out in the US. To my dismay so I bought a silver and black one. It looks nice but that green is something else.
Congrats on a beautiful bike. I love the Tenni Green, but after staring at countless pics of the Black Devil, it's my new favorite. I think the paint accentuates the right lines in the bike, and it's the perfect combination of badass and class. Love it.
__________________
www.thehurricanedeck.com
Unleaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #50
rocker59
diplomatico di moto
 
rocker59's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: The Trans-Mississippi
Oddometer: 15,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS View Post


Whoever came up with that paint scheme has an eye for beauty.
It's Luciano Marabese's bike, and Miguel Galluzzi is the current head of design, so that pretty much narrows it down for you. Both have good eyes.

__________________
Rocker59 (aka guzzimike), Aux Arcs (NW Arkansas)
Moto Guzzi: LeMans 1000 CI, Sport 1100, V11 LeMans Nero Corsa
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #51
RonS
Out there...
 
RonS's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Dancing with roads
Oddometer: 17,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrflanne View Post
The Tenni Green Griso sold out in the US. To my dismay so I bought a silver and black one. It looks nice but that green is something else. So I had my Vespa painted near Tenni Green but that color is impossible to find.
Everyone seems to think that the color was an accident with divine inspiration. Guzzi does not list any color codes for it. I did find a match that is very close. You can tell the difference only in some lighting conditions but then when you look at the other parts of the bike in those same lighting conditions, other parts of the bike look different as well. It's a bit of a chameleon color. I posted the info on what I found in the big Guzzi thread.

As I was typing this, my phone rang and it was Micha at Moto International in Seattle. I was over there last week and he was doing some tweaking on my fuel map to clean up some of the uneven fueling below 4k. He's using my bike to develop what could become a base map. What he did made the bike MUCH better (its always been good everywhere else). Much less popping on decel and more complete combustion on steady state throttle openings makes it much smoother to operate in that range. There is still a little left to do at very low throttle openings between 2k and 3.5k rpm. Like when you're in heavy traffic and you're trying to match speed with say 2-5 degrees of throttle opening. He's going to work on that portion of the map and flash it again when I get the bike back over there. He said that if anyone is looking for a solution to the below 4k fueling to feel free to give him a call.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #52
RonS
Out there...
 
RonS's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Dancing with roads
Oddometer: 17,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
It's Luciano Marabese's bike, and Miguel Galluzzi is the current head of design, so that pretty much narrows it down for you. Both have good eyes.

They must have a bit of Michelangelo’s blood coursing through their veins.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #53
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D
 
Super Sneaky Steve's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Oddometer: 3,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I have to ask WTF is up with the Monster sticker? I've never had that drink but people seem to love it. I see those stickers on cars and even tattoos on fat chicks.

It's just an expensive energy drink right?
Super Sneaky Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #54
hhkiwi
Gnarly Adventurer
 
hhkiwi's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
I have to ask WTF is up with the Monster sticker? I've never had that drink but people seem to love it. I see those stickers on cars and even tattoos on fat chicks.

It's just an expensive energy drink right?
Yep, that's what I call successful marketing when people advertise a product voluntarily and for free!
hhkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #55
rocker59
diplomatico di moto
 
rocker59's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: The Trans-Mississippi
Oddometer: 15,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhkiwi View Post
Yep, that's what I call successful marketing when people advertise a product voluntarily and for free!
Have you seen the 2014 F-150 Harley-Davidson Monster edition, yet?

Supposed to have a matching CVO Road Glide to match...










__________________
Rocker59 (aka guzzimike), Aux Arcs (NW Arkansas)
Moto Guzzi: LeMans 1000 CI, Sport 1100, V11 LeMans Nero Corsa
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #56
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 4,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS View Post


Yeah, in my mind, with that color scheme the bike was a classic the day it rolled off the assembly line. Though some would disagree, I think the mini-faring completes the look. I posted the paint brand and numbers that I used to paint that faring in the big Guzzi thread. Took a couple of tries before I got the right mix. It's a very very close match. One could always paint their bike though I'm not sure how difficult the decals would be to source and then there is the seat that would need to be matched as well. The bike wouldn't be the same without that brown leather. Whoever came up with that paint scheme has an eye for beauty. And you guys are not alone. It’s a bike that gets comments nearly every time I stop somewhere. Last week I was in the middle of nowhere (east of Wenatchee WA up in the Okanogan) stopped at a gas stop when a guy walks up and says “That bike is just beautiful”. I say “thank you”. He repeats again “That bike is just beautiful” as he shakes his head and walks into the store. The old time motorcyclists seem to be the ones that appreciate it the most. They always seem to stop and chat.
I'm sure the Griso gets a lot of looks. I'm always surprised at the comments I get on the Tiger XC. Obviously a LOT of people have seen the Triumph name, it's almost as widely known as HD, so they just look at the bike and you can see the puzzled look and then I usually hear something like, 'I didn't know Triumph made a bike like that'. Lot's of older guys that used to ride too, for sure.

Anyway, if I can figure out a way to get a Griso I'll look up your paint codes. I would have the seat done as well but probably not with leather, too much sun here in CA. Sure is sharp though.

While I have your attention, what years was that color offered?
Are there any particular years of the model that are more desirable? Or like anything, new as possible?
Were they all 8V or was that a recent development? Seems the model started about 12 years ago or so?
I know, I'm being lazy...I'll do some research on my own as well.

I missed one in northern Cal here recently, had about 8K on it for $8K. Seemed like a pretty good deal. Can't recall the year though.

I've been doing custom paint work as a hobby for 40 years. A bike repaint is cake. I'm sure decals can be ordered. It's nice to apply them over paint and clear over them. The matte finish is a little more difficult than gloss.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sssteve
I have to ask WTF is up with the Monster sticker? I've never had that drink but people seem to love it. I see those stickers on cars and even tattoos on fat chicks.

It's just an expensive energy drink right?
Yes, expensive piss water. Seriously, I don't drink it nor any of that stuff, red bull, etc. it all has too much caffiene and sugar. I'm horribly hypoglycimic, an overactive pancreas, so I can't handle ANY sugar intake. Just makes me sicker than a dog.

Monster Energy is a big sponsor of Kawasaki in offroad racing, I got the sticker on a sheet somewhere, so it seemed appropo for the Versys once I debadged it. It was just a cheap sticker so it only lasted about 6 months and then it was gone. But every time a post of pic of that bike someone asks about the sticker.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith

browneye screwed with this post 08-14-2013 at 02:48 PM
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #57
RonS
Out there...
 
RonS's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Dancing with roads
Oddometer: 17,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Anyway, if I can figure out a way to get a Griso I'll look up your paint codes. I would have the seat done as well but probably not with leather, too much sun here in CA. Sure is sharp though.

While I have your attention, what years was that color offered?
Are there any particular years of the model that are more desirable? Or like anything, new as possible?
Were they all 8V or was that a recent development? Seems the model started about 12 years ago or so?
I know, I'm being lazy...I'll do some research on my own as well.

I missed one in northern Cal here recently, had about 8K on it for $8K. Seemed like a pretty good deal. Can't recall the year though.

I've been doing custom paint work as a hobby for 40 years. A bike repaint is cake. I'm sure decals can be ordered. It's nice to apply them over paint and clear over them. The matte finish is a little more difficult than gloss.
This will have to be cross checked but I believe it was offered in 2011 and 2012. Some of the earlier bikes were not the 8v 1200 motor. They were the 1100 4v motor. From what I understand that is a good motor as well. I'm not aware of any particular year that had something special or is more valued than any other year beyond that color. There were some minor changes like the move from wave to regular rotors due to some warping problem they had with the wave rotors. There are some Guzzifiles about who can give you a lot more info though. And yeah, 8k seems like a good price.

When I did the paint I went to a professional automotive paint store. They sell nothing else and supply most of the auto body shops in the area. They brought out the brands I should look at along with color neutral lights and we went over the possibilities. The first one looked close in the store and even out in bright sunlight but when I shot it, the color was off. Second one the same thing. Third one looked to be dead on in nearly all light. It was a standard mix for the paint brand as well rather than a custom mix. I'd prepped the part, had them load a rattle can and I just shot it from the can. Higher end cans than you get at the hardware store of course and it sprayed on very evenly with no over spray.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #58
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 4,180
Test comparo HD XR1200 vs Griso 8v: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/8/3154...-Griso-8v.aspx


I'm thinking it didn't make it to the US 'till '11 though.
The Griso model name does go back further, but it must be the former motor, 4V version.

I'll keep looking.


EDIT: 2007 Griso 1100: http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...100-66392.html

So the 8V came out in 2009 but I'm still thinking they didn't come here 'till 2011. The '11 had the green paint, then they were black, now black and silver.
If I found a 4V for sale I'd still have to check it out. Rated at just 72hp though, the 8V at 110. That's a BIG difference.

Hmmm...Griso or Monster...need to ride the Griso to confirm. ;)
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith

browneye screwed with this post 08-14-2013 at 03:08 PM
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #59
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 4,180
2002 V1100 Le Manns Tenni

A bit off topic but can't help but share this one. Nice looking bike with 3K miles on it:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...993121946.html

__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #60
RonS
Out there...
 
RonS's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Dancing with roads
Oddometer: 17,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
A bit off topic but can't help but share this one. Nice looking bike with 3K miles on it:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...993121946.html

That is nice but this Rosso under bikes on ADV rider looks to be very nice as well:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=911673
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014