User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #76
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,419
Selling bikes?

I would take them both, but Louisiana??? Ouch.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #77
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 17,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iranian View Post
I testdrove a green griso 1200 here in Sweden. I have to say that the design is marvelous. I loved the nature of the bike but it was a couple of things that bugged me. Lack of ABS is one of them, the pulsing vibration that I could feel in the handlebars during acceleration was the most irritating thing with this bike and the clutch was a bit hard to pull. It is definitely one of the most beautiful modern bikes there is to buy.

Is it only me that thinks that the vibes is a bit annoying?
It's subjective. If you feel it on acceleration then chances are that you are feeling the individual pulses of the power stroke of the engine. I've owned a lot of twins over the years and I find the fact that I can feel the individual power pulses to be sublime. Either that or you are talking about the upper rpm ranges of the motor. That's the nature of the beast. In contrast, I find inline fours lacking character and be boring in spite of their monster power. The big twins are not everyone's cup of tea but I find a 500 mile day on mine to be quite refreshing. Not everyone would feel the same.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #78
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,166
On the vibration, the mirrors at least on mine are completely steady. Now, if you try and connect a Gopro to the handlebars you will find the vibration. I don't notice it any more than other bikes. Also, I don't have the stock map either, which was very flat below 3800 rpm (retarded timing advance).

This also makes me hesitate on the California 1400, as it has a different ECU that GuzziDiag does not address, YET.

Browneye, I have a trailer, for the right price I would haul them a ways.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #79
Iranian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
I have only owned three twins, parallell twins and they seem's to suit me fine. I was actually not drive that fast when I testdrove the griso since the day before I had received a speeding ticket, 320 euro for driving 26 km/h to fast at 70 km/h road. At steady state it did not bother me much but during acceleration it was a bit annoying. I have also testdriven the guzzi classic v7 and it's vibration was ok. I did not bother me as much as the griso did.
Therefore I would like to know if anybody has driven it's little brother 850? I guess it should be more like the v7 classic when it comes down to vibrations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS View Post
It's subjective. If you feel it on acceleration then chances are that you are feeling the individual pulses of the power stroke of the engine. I've owned a lot of twins over the years and I find the fact that I can feel the individual power pulses to be sublime. Either that or you are talking about the upper rpm ranges of the motor. That's the nature of the beast. In contrast, I find inline fours lacking character and be boring in spite of their monster power. The big twins are not everyone's cup of tea but I find a 500 mile day on mine to be quite refreshing. Not everyone would feel the same.
Iranian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #80
Iranian
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes a guzzi driver here in Sweden has told me that most likely the throttles need to be balanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
The bike is a twin. Twins do those things, but the bike must be set up correctly with the throttles balanced and it usually keeps the vibes to the ones you really want. Checking the motor mount bolts for proper tightness is also key.

The bike is great. My Griso turned me on to Guzzi.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #81
Rox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
I love Guzzis. I love the Griso. Great reliable motorcycle. Ride like freight trains. Not the fastest bike in the world but have the character.
I'll eventually own one but currently am too busy loving my V11 LeMans.
Rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #82
Toto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
A beautiful bike !
Moto Guzzi, put ABS on it and I would seriously consider it.
No ABS on a bike like that... inexcusable in this day and age....
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #83
Iranian
Gnarly Adventurer

Agree! You never no what happens on the road. Here in EU it is going to be mandetory for bikes to be equipped with ABS and I can't understand why MG has not introduced it yet for the griso l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
A beautiful bike !
Old 12-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #84
Rox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Agree! You never no what happens on the road. Here in EU it is going to be mandetory for bikes to be equipped with ABS and I can't understand why MG has not introduced it yet for the griso l
I personally don't like ABS. Great on a car but not on a bike. If everyone standardizes to ABS i hope there will be an On/Off switch.
Rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #85
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
A beautiful bike !
Careful what you wish for...there isn't a lot of room on the griso to mount the ABS pump. Let's hope they don't torch the looks trying to make it fit.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #86
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 17,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rox View Post
I personally don't like ABS. Great on a car but not on a bike. If everyone standardizes to ABS i hope there will be an On/Off switch.
+1. That and I hate linked brakes as well.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #87
Iranian
Gnarly Adventurer

In EU, I think they are not going to allow the driver to switch it off, just because of the fact that some people will shut it off. This has been discussed a lot in EU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rox View Post
Old 12-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #88
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS View Post
+1. That and I hate linked brakes as well.

What's to hate?

How often do you apply the front brake and wish to not apply the rear? I can't think of a single time I wanted that to happen.

Most modern linked brakes are linked at the front lever and the rear pedal operates the rear brakes independently. The linked brakes on my r1200r work brilliantly.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #89
Omarius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
In EU, I think they are not going to allow the driver to switch it off, just because of the fact that some people will shut it off. This has been discussed a lot in EU.
You can just disconnect a wheel sensor. It's probably easier to unplug a sensor than work through a crappy user interface in a digital dash to figure out how to toggle it off.
Omarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #90
Iranian
Gnarly Adventurer

Perhaps disconnecting the abs fuse is even easier way to do it. There is a will there is away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omarius View Post
You can just disconnect a wheel sensor. It's probably easier to unplug a sensor than work through a crappy user interface in a digital dash to figure out how to toggle it off.