User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
mrbreeze OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,835
Wind Noise

If this doesn't belong here, I apologize. Mods feel free to move it where it needs to be.

I want to talk about wind noise. Right now I am riding a 2008 Nomad with a barn door for a windshield. I can see over the windshield, and there is very little in the way of noise or turbulence behind it. Pretty good right now, but when the temps get up to summer time I standards I may remove the w/s.

I was lurking over in the R****R thread, and there is a lot of discussion of wind noise there. This has been an issue on every bike I have owned up until now. The only cure I have ever found is to get a great big windshield and hide behind it. That presents it's own set of problems when the weather gets bad or the w/s gets dirty. It was particularly bad on my old V-Strom. Before taking a long road trip, I put a great big Cee Bailey's on it. This worked well until one day the fog was terrible and sticking to the w/s. I had to lean over to be able to see where I was going. I used to have a Suzuki GSX1100G, and I had a National Cycle w/s on it for road trips. As long as I kept a fresh coat of lemon pledge on it, it would shed the rain pretty good - but not bugs.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone who is dealing with wind noise on their ride has tried an open face or shorty helmet, and what effect that had, if any. Please tell us if your bike has a w/s, what kind of helmet you wear, do you wear ear plusgs, etc.

thanks

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
SamRus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Ear Plugs!

I always wear ear plugs.

When the air moves over your helmet, it will create noise. The more air-dynamic the helmet, the less wind you will get. So if you switched to a "shorty" or "half-helmet", you would probably get even more noise! I never tried those, but that's my guess.

I also rode once without helmet for about 5 minutes (STUPID!), and the noise was unbearable. I have no idea how anyone could ever ride without helmet!

I have a large barn-door style windshield on my Honda Nighthawk, and it helps, but it's never going to get near as quite as with ear plugs.

I guess you can also try to get a quieter helmet, or a bigger windshield, but you still won't get as much bang for the buck, as you will with ear plugs!

Protect your hearing - wear ear plugs
SamRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
scotty918
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
You actually want to let a little wind in the low pressure zone behind the windshield to equalize the pressure a bit. Otherwise, the wind will become turbulent and noisy for the rider as the extreme high pressure seeks the extreme low pressure behind the windshield... These folks are the absolute best at dealing with the high/low pressure zone. I have one of their windshields on my bike. I look over it and it is VERY quiet. YMMV.

http://www.firecreekacc.com/windbender_cruisers.htm
Old 04-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
mrbreeze OP
Beastly Adventurer

I have to say I am very impressed with the lack of wind noise or buffeting on the Nomad. I do not wear ear plugs on this bike, it just isn't loud enough, IMO. I have worn ear plugs on every bike I have had for the last 20 years or so, until now. I don't know why the wind control is so good on this bike, but it is.

Travels with Maw Maw
Old 04-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
mrbreeze OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty918 View Post
You actually want to let a little wind in the low pressure zone behind the windshield to equalize the pressure a bit. Otherwise, the wind will become turbulent and noisy for the rider as the extreme high pressure seeks the extreme low pressure behind the windshield... These folks are the absolute best at dealing with the high/low pressure zone. I have one of their windshields on my bike. I look over it and it is VERY quiet. YMMV.

http://www.firecreekacc.com/windbender_cruisers.htm

I like the looks of that Wind Bender!

Travels with Maw Maw
Old 04-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #6
MotorcycleWriter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 831
My ears are very sensitive to wind noise. My first street bike was an R1150R. I loved everything about it but the wind noise made me quit riding it. I tried a number of different wind screens including the Parabellum Scout and none of them helped much. With the wind screen off, it was sheer torment.

Eventually I made the decision to switch to an R1150RT and it has made all the difference. I can lower the windscreen when I need to in slow traffic, or on dirt, or if it gets dirty, then raise it for cruising. I agonized a lot over losing the versatility of a naked bike but it was all needless worry. My RT does everything the R could do and more. Plus, when it is lowered, the wind coming over the top of the screen is much cleaner than the airflow around the R which was very turbulent.

Oh, and I always wear earplugs.
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
I have tinnitus and am very sensitive to wind noise. I always wear earplugs for any loud activity. My experience on bikes seems to be the opposite of others here. I find naked bikes to be nice and quiet with smooth airflow. Most bikes I've ridden with windshields are noisier. Some more than others.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Yupp - same thing here.

Naked bikes with a good helmet and earplugs is quietest for me. That way you get nice clean air and zero buffeting. If you're going to be riding a longer stretch you want to make sure you can lean a little bit forward to compensate for the wind speed. But this can be a very comfortable setup even for touring. Downside if it's really cold or rainy outside, then it's not so nice lol.

Big touing screen usually work well, but I've yet to find one that is 100% turbulence free. There's usually a little buffeting or something going on. Still good and protects you from the weather, which can be good and bad...

The worst is half-fairings - it usually just means that the turbulence from the wind screen hits you right on the visor. That's how you get really bad low frequency buffeting that even earplug can't really deal with.

An open helmet can definitely help with buffeting from a half-fairing, as I said the worst effect is when unclean air hits the visor straight on.
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
Pork-Chop Express
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
I have tinnitus and am very sensitive to wind noise. I always wear earplugs for any loud activity. My experience on bikes seems to be the opposite of others here. I find naked bikes to be nice and quiet with smooth airflow. Most bikes I've ridden with windshields are noisier. Some more than others.
Same here. I have tinnitus and hyperacusis in my right ear thanks to playing electric guitar way too loud during my youth. The best bike for me has proved to be a naked bike where the air flow is clean with no turbulance. I wear a full coverage helmet and waterproof earplugs and I can ride all day with no wind noise problems. Whenever I ride a bike with a fairing it drives my hyperacusis crazy.
Pork-Chop Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #10
carockwell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
In clean air my Schuberth C3 is very quiet. In turbulence it is the same as my Shoei and a bit better than my Arai. Too bad my Schuberth doesn't fit!
carockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #11
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
wind noise

Try standing on the pegs and see if the air flow at that height is quieter than sitting in the seat. I find a lot less noise in the clean flow above the bike while standing on the pegs. Not a solution, but does let you know how much noise your shield is making.

Art
oldenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:11 AM   #12
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Something like this also works to get clean airflow:

The screen is folded back so much that the airflow hits you somewhere in the upper chest or right below the helmet. You helmet will be in clean quiet air.

This here is the worst:

You sit quite far from the windscreen and you'll get a lot of turbulent air dumped right on that big dual-sport visor from the windscreen. I've never ridden the ST myself but I've read a lot of complaints about it, even from big magazines.
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:18 AM   #13
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Yellow View Post
Yupp - same thing here.

Naked bikes with a good helmet and earplugs is quietest for me. That way you get nice clean air and zero buffeting. If you're going to be riding a longer stretch you want to make sure you can lean a little bit forward to compensate for the wind speed. But this can be a very comfortable setup even for touring. Downside if it's really cold or rainy outside, then it's not so nice lol.

Big touing screen usually work well, but I've yet to find one that is 100% turbulence free. There's usually a little buffeting or something going on. Still good and protects you from the weather, which can be good and bad...

The worst is half-fairings - it usually just means that the turbulence from the wind screen hits you right on the visor. That's how you get really bad low frequency buffeting that even earplug can't really deal with.

An open helmet can definitely help with buffeting from a half-fairing, as I said the worst effect is when unclean air hits the visor straight on.
I rode to Alaska in '92 wearing a Bell open face helmet and goggles (& earplugs!) behind a large bar mount Pacifico Aerofoil fairing and never noticed any wind noise. When I got my first full face helmet, the wind noise, with the same set up, was noticeably bad. If I opened the visor all the way up on the full face it got blissfully quiet. Aerodynamics are complicated.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #14
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,430
Quote:
+1

I'd rather wear a FF helmet and leather, and go without a windscreen. Especially on standards and cruisers.

The low fairings on my sportsbikes keep the air at chest level, so not an issue.

Touring screens have always been turbulent and noisy for me.

I wear ear plugs.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #15
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,430
Quote:
When I got my first full face helmet, the wind noise, with the same set up, was noticeably bad. If I opened the visor all the way up on the full face it got blissfully quiet. Aerodynamics are complicated.
Lots of noise around the bottom of a FF helmet.

I've used NOJ chin curtains in the past with good success.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote