Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #16
HapHazard
t00 0ld 2b n00b

Oddometer: 2,186
When riding, and trying to figure out why it can be so noisy, I've used a Shoei chin curtain, and moved my hands around the base of the helmet and noticed the noise can be greatly reduced. The NOJ "Quiet Rider" would seem to smooth out the turbulence around the helmet base that seems to make the most noise. I've never tried one (but am tempted). Has anyone tried one? Would seem to be great in the cold months, but not so much in August.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/noj-quiet-rider/

Also, I agree that specific windshield shape and orientation can affect noise, but also wind buffeting (which is even MORE annoying than just noise).
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #17
Eric R. Shelton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenuf View Post
Try standing on the pegs and see if the air flow at that height is quieter than sitting in the seat. I find a lot less noise in the clean flow above the bike while standing on the pegs. Not a solution, but does let you know how much noise your shield is making.

Art
I was probably one of the guys griping about wind noise in R****R, and this was really it for me- when I stand on my pegs, it's suddenly serene and calm and wonderful. But I get the same jet-engine roar of wind noise when seated, whether I've got my screen on or off. Apparently it's the gas tank- Bonnevilles are much quieter. My plan is to add a small fairing.

I'm too young to have a big barn door of a windshield and still respect myself in the morning.
Eric R. Shelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:02 AM   #18
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,999
Me...
5'8". 29" inseam.
Shoei RF1100 helmet currently
Ear plugs every time I ride.

Here's what I've found from 20 years of street riding. Hundreds of different bikes.
Naked bikes are decent up to about 75mph
A gasket, I use a fleece tube. That fills the gap between my helmet and jacket work well.
The quietest bike I ever rode, was an ST1300 honda, loudest stock 04 DL650

I hate wind noise and do everything to reduce its impact me to a reasonable level.

The single biggest thing I would different. I would have used ear plugs on every ride every time.
Once you get used to them you can even carry on conversations with them in.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:56 AM   #19
rider33
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
I do a far amount of long distance touring. When you are on a bike for 10 or 12 hours a day for days on end, wind noise can really wear you out. Big-assed screens are nice except for when its hot, or when you want some air, or at lower speeds. The best solution I've found is to wear ear plugs under a full-face and ride a bike with a electrically adjustable screen. I have an ST1300 for touring duties now, it goes from in the wind to dead silent in about 5 seconds with lots of settings in-between. This this the first bike I've had with an electrically adjustable screen. By far and away it is my favorate touring accessory.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #20
cycleman2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
If this doesn't belong here, I apologize. Mods feel free to move it where it needs to be.

I want to talk about wind noise. Right now I am riding a 2008 Nomad with a barn door for a windshield. I can see over the windshield, and there is very little in the way of noise or turbulence behind it. Pretty good right now, but when the temps get up to summer time I standards I may remove the w/s.

I was lurking over in the R****R thread, and there is a lot of discussion of wind noise there. This has been an issue on every bike I have owned up until now. The only cure I have ever found is to get a great big windshield and hide behind it. That presents it's own set of problems when the weather gets bad or the w/s gets dirty. It was particularly bad on my old V-Strom. Before taking a long road trip, I put a great big Cee Bailey's on it. This worked well until one day the fog was terrible and sticking to the w/s. I had to lean over to be able to see where I was going. I used to have a Suzuki GSX1100G, and I had a National Cycle w/s on it for road trips. As long as I kept a fresh coat of lemon pledge on it, it would shed the rain pretty good - but not bugs.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone who is dealing with wind noise on their ride has tried an open face or shorty helmet, and what effect that had, if any. Please tell us if your bike has a w/s, what kind of helmet you wear, do you wear ear plusgs, etc.

thanks
I have used a windshield on my 08 Heritage Softail, and currently have a batwing fairing on the bike. The Batwing provides better protection for the hands, arms etc when it is cold. There is still enough air coming around and under the batwing to make it fine on hot days. The bike has wind deflectors that go down the fork legs. These direct air up behind the windshield or batwing. (This is the secret for buffet free rides - you have to allow some air to get behind the windshield either by vents in the windshield or something that directs air up behind the windshield/batwing.)

I wear a full face helmet all the time, and find it is the best for long distance riding in rain, cold or hot air etc. Newer better designed helmets have lots of vents and you can always crack open the face shield a bit to allow more air flow. A half or open face helmet is going to be noisier with respect to the ears. I wear ear plugs all the time.

A smaller windshield that just takes the wind pressure off of your chest but allows the head to be in clean air will work very well on hot days. The trick is to get the height of the shield just right. Most sport bike windshields accomplish this with no buffeting.

If you are having buffeting issues one easy trick to help identify where the buffeting is coming from - when driving down the highway, take your left arm, bend your elbow and place your lower arm across your chest ( like you had your arm in a sling ). Move this up and down and you'll notice where the wind is coming from. Sometimes the buffeting is caused by air coming around the bottom of a windshield and sometimes its coming over the top. There are ways to deal with both.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #21
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Lots of noise around the bottom of a FF helmet.

I've used NOJ chin curtains in the past with good success.
I;ve thought about trying one of those wind curtains. I solved the problem on my BMW by removing the windshield.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #22
mrbreeze OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,184
lots of good suggestions, ideas, and advice here. I thank you all for your contributions. It seems to me that this is really a case of what works for one person will not necessarily work for someone else. The variables are almost limitless. Riders differ, bikes differ, helmets, windshields, even the weather from one day to the next can make a difference.

At least a couple of people have mentioned how quiet the ST1300 can be with it's adjustable screen. I had an ST1300 for a while and I must agree, the wind protection on that bike is excellent - but I almost always had the windshield all the way down because it was so HOT on that bike.

I hate earplugs. I have worn them religously for years, but I never liked them. I really don't think they are necessary with my current ride. When I first got the Nomad, I used the earplugs just like I did on the FJR, but quickly decided I didn't need them. I regulary ride with a group of guys, mostly Harley 'glides, but there is one guy with R1200RT and another with a Concours 1400. Both of those guys use earplugs all the time. I have yet to try a shorty helmet on the Nomad, but I am tempted.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #23
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by carockwell View Post
In clean air my Schuberth C3 is very quiet. In turbulence it is the same as my Shoei and a bit better than my Arai. Too bad my Schuberth doesn't fit!
Hey, carockwell, I may be interested. Size? Colour? Year?

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenuf View Post
Try standing on the pegs and see if the air flow at that height is quieter than sitting in the seat. I find a lot less noise in the clean flow above the bike while standing on the pegs. Not a solution, but does let you know how much noise your shield is making.

Art
I tried this; it works.

Turns out that at 6'3", I'm too damned short for my bike.

I may try cutting down my shield, and buying a V-Stream for colder weather.

Apparently they deflect air around the windsceen differently.

http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalogue/VStream.shtml

Anybody here w/ any real world experience w/ one of these?

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #24
ironcast
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
wind noise

With 46 years of riding it has been my experience that the best way to eliminate wind noise on a motorcycle is the have a windshield high enough that I must look through it and not over it. Many riders do not like having to look through a windshield but to me there is no comparison in the amount of wind noise. One of my present bikes is a 1997 Honda Pacific Coast with optional tall windscreen. I can look over the top if I need to in times of low visibility like night riding in rain. But in my normal posture I tend to look through it. There is virtually no wind noise and the bike is so quiet that one can hear the tires rolling on the road often times. However, this silence is exclusive to the pilot of the bike. For the passenger the ride is very windy and much buffeting because the front of the bike is so closed in that it creates back drafting behind the pilot. Otherwise the best thing I have ever ridden was my 1980 Suzuki GS1000G with Vetter Windjammer. Both rider and passenger rode in amazing comfort and quietness free from wind noise. I don't know how much wind tunnel testing Craig ever did but the Windjammer was one fine piece. A friend had one on a bike and removed it as soon as he bought the bike saying it was so "ugly". I said the beauty was in riding behind the thing. I found a site dedicated to the Vetter fairings. One fellow said he bought his finally acquired his dream bike--a BMW R1100 GS or maybe it was a newer one. Anyway he tried everything to make it so the wind dynamics worked to his liking to eliminate noise and buffeting--different screens--whatever he could think of. Finally he just gave up and sold the bike. He bought a new Triumph Bonneville and adapted a Vetter Windjammer to it and is just ecstatic about the result.
ironcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #25
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 689
You need clean air as in no air flow at all on your helmet or let the helmet do the work in all air. They are designed that way.

I have a tall screen on a GSA and look over the top of the screen about an inch or two, air flow hits the very top of my helmet. Then satellite radio fed into a Boostaroo amp fed into Koss earbuds, the ones for $26.00 with the volume control.

Got my earplugs, tunes, clean vision and while I
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote