Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 07:07 AM   #16
Haroon
RIDE for PASSION

Oddometer: 543
What about the Versys 1000. I sat on one recently and its almost identical to my GS. Its got a smooth tried & tested I-4 engine from Kawasaki. It comes with Traction control, ABS, separate ride modes, nice saddle etc. If required add a Puig Touring screen, Givi luggage and its a nice sport tourer at a bargain. And being a Kawasaki it will be a simple & reliable bike.

Exploring the world on 2-wheels...little at a time
RIDE for PASSION

www.rideforpassion.com

Haroon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #17
bdb1513
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Could check out a Tiger 1050. I picked one up last year and love it. Plus with all the new Tiger 800's out now there are a lot of used 1050's on the market.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:42 AM   #18
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,879
Ninja 1000 - over there it is the Z1000SX.

Adjustable windscreen, ABS, bags, great suspension, midrange pull is ridiculous. My favourite test ride of the last few years. As upright as my Yamaha FZ6 Fazer S2
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #19
AzItLies
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
Completely agree. My 2009 is sold, but that bike was a lot of fun. Great community around it as well. And so many things you can do with it. I had mine setup for touring with side luggage and a Russell seat. Oh and a screen. And fat bars. And other stuff. But my wrists couldn't handle the vibes from the twin during a long day. I'm a software developer and my wrists have become sensitive over the years.

It's a great bike though. I understand that the looks aren't stellar. But ride one.

That's an awesome color, always liked the Kawa Blue...

many people mention the vibes, saw that doing research before buying. That led me to try the "moto man" break in technique (basically ride it like u stole it, especially for the first 20 mi).

Did that because I think the vibes are basically from 'engine harmonics', and break in effects that. I'm no engineer, this was just my reasoning / theory.

It worked for me though. My V is virtually vibe free. Never vibes on the hwy, and every once in awhile around town at 5k. But it's not consistent, and seems to be when the weather changes dramatically... go figure.

Also, never uses a drop of oil, always at the exact same level from change to change.

Did see a post on the kawa V forum someone loaded the handlebars with BB's. No, really. Said it worked very well too. Never heard of doing that, but hey if it works!

Cheers
AzItLies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #20
cls
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
Yep, Versys. Like most here, I've had a bunch of bikes but the Versys is the best public road, versatile, economical, do-it-all, fun bike I've had, by far. Not the coolest by any stretch. Just use-it-up good.
cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #21
Blue&Yellow OP
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
I'd suggest what I traded in an FJR for last year: Kawasaki Versys.

650cc Parallel twin, pretty sure the version you guys get has ABS.

One minor farkle I'd highly recommend is change the rear sprocket from the oem 46 tooth to a 44. Really makes the bike more relaxed, more of a road bike. The engine can easily handle the change, have taken off in 2nd a couple of times, not intentional, no problems, plenty of torque to handle it.

This is a very nimble and light bike, inverted front forks, wet is about 450 lbs. Cheers
I really respect your choice of vehicle, and especially that you're coming from an FJR. It reminds me of one of my favorite Einstein quotes: "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction"

But right now I think it's the 2012 Wee that calls out to me. It's a little bit bigger and a little bit longer legged I imagine. And a little bit better with a passenger and so on. I think part of the success of the Wee is that it's a sensible middle class bike that is a size "L" in it's packaging. A lot of other japanese medium sized bikes are so small you could lose them behind a set of tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Ninja 1000 - over there it is the Z1000SX.

Adjustable windscreen, ABS, bags, great suspension, midrange pull is ridiculous. My favourite test ride of the last few years. As upright as my Yamaha FZ6 Fazer S2
Yupp - I was considering that. Sadly though insurance is too expensive for me, insurance can be really weird where I live. It's up and down and all over the place for different bikes.
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #22
AzItLies
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Yellow View Post
I really respect your choice of vehicle, and especially that you're coming from an FJR. It reminds me of one of my favorite Einstein quotes: "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction"

But right now I think it's the 2012 Wee that calls out to me. It's a little bit bigger and a little bit longer legged I imagine. And a little bit better with a passenger and so on. I think part of the success of the Wee is that it's a sensible middle class bike that is a size "L" in it's packaging. A lot of other japanese medium sized bikes are so small you could lose them behind a set of tyres.

Yupp - I was considering that. Sadly though insurance is too expensive for me, insurance can be really weird where I live. It's up and down and all over the place for different bikes.
I had a very hard time decision wise between the 2 myself. If my dealer had gotten a '12 Wee in stock (which I had a deposit on), not sure what I would have done...

Either is a good choice for sure. The important thing is to get out and ride and enjoy :)

Cheers
AzItLies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #23
objectuser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Yellow View Post
But right now I think it's the 2012 Wee that calls out to me.
Knowing what bike you want is half the battle.
objectuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #24
Desmofan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
You have (had?) a 990 Adventure, and you had to ask ? KTM 990 SMT, ABS model (left over 2012, or the new shiny black one)! You already know the engine, but it's much more powerful in the SMT, especially when TuneEcu'd, piped, and CPR airboxed . Sublime suspension, very light, with kewl luggage. I've been all over on mine, even ghey dirt.
Desmofan is offline   Reply With Quote