Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
trapperj OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Looking to add some excitement ...speed or street triple?

Ok...so I'm 51.. Decent shape. 6'1" 185 ...spend most my time riding between a R1200 GS..(cam head) and a Husquvarna TR650 Strada. I have a little space in the garage and kinda like the look of the new triples from Triumph. Had a 07 triumph tiger 1050 and fell in lust with that motor. One of the few bikes I regret selling

. I am spoiled somewhat by the upright riding position of the GS & TR..but am looking for a little excitement ...maybe even will do a track day or two...my question is will I be as happy with the street triple...or wishing I'd bought the speed triple every time I through a leg over. I have other rides to choose if I need to stretch out..from sitting on the bikes in my mind I can justify both..but need to pick one or maybe forget this and look somewhere else...other than Triumph.

What I need is a shrink...ok so what's your thoughts...would I be happy with the 675R...or lose my a$$ and be looking to trade it in on the 1050 in a week or two? I'd like to hear what you have to say...
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:46 AM   #2
buck80mph
"Power Junkie"

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperj View Post
Ok...so I'm 51.. Decent shape. 6'1" 185 ...spend most my time riding between a R1200 GS..(cam head) and a Husquvarna TR650 Strada. I have a little space in the garage and kinda like the look of the new triples from Triumph. Had a 07 triumph tiger 1050 and fell in lust with that motor. One of the few bikes I regret selling

. I am spoiled somewhat by the upright riding position of the GS & TR..but am looking for a little excitement ...maybe even will do a track day or two...my question is will I be as happy with the street triple...or wishing I'd bought the speed triple every time I through a leg over. I have other rides to choose if I need to stretch out..from sitting on the bikes in my mind I can justify both..but need to pick one or maybe forget this and look somewhere else...other than Triumph.

What I need is a shrink...ok so what's your thoughts...would I be happy with the 675R...or lose my a$$ and be looking to trade it in on the 1050 in a week or two? I'd like to hear what you have to say...
I own a '11 Speed 3. The fun factor is great. It has great low end grunt. I can hang the front tire from a walking pace with just the throttle (no clutch). I've never rode the street 3, but what I've read about them is that they need to "REV" to generate it's power. Probably not a negative but just a difference....
buck80mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #3
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
I've ridden both and they're both fantastic.

Every version of the street triple is a blast.

The old versions of the speed triple are great fun and have great engines but the chassi on the newest speed triple is in another league.

So I would get either a street triple or the newest version speed triple.

My personal choice would be the Street Triple R - it has the better suspension, is light and nimble, has over 100bhp. Frankly - it's enough for anyone.

Here in europe the street triple has won pretty much every group test there is, bike of the year etc etc. If you want a bit of excitement you can't go wrong with a street triple.
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:57 AM   #4
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,503
The 675R is the best kept secret in the motorcycle world. It is happy everywhere! It is fun to the extreme!

The Speed Triple is more of a hooligan bike (but a polite one) that is always trying to save the front tire for another day. It is aptly named "Speed"
As I see it, on the Speed Triple you always find yourself behind another vehicle... As soon as you get past it VOOM... There you are behind another one.

They both have that delightful sound that only a triple can bring. If at all possible go ride both bikes. Ride ones that have been broken in so you can experience the musical scale type of power delivery through the whole spectrum.

At 6'4" I am too tall for the Street... At 6'1" you are at the cusp.

You can NOT make a bad choice here. Be sure to let us all know which you choose...With some follow-up.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
trapperj OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Choices

Thanks guys for the quick detailed response. A few years ago I wouldn't have considered the smaller of the two...always buying into bigger is better. In the past couple of years I've lost about 80lbs...so smaller bikes call my name as tney did when in high school. I am going to a dealer this weekend that has both...and hope to bring one home. Buying a new bike is a blast....a lot of the fun is the chase...and the decision...again...thanks for the help.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #6
mokosai
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Yellow View Post
My personal choice would be the Street Triple R - it has the better suspension, is light and nimble, has over 100bhp. Frankly - it's enough for anyone.
Agreed. I rode both before buying a Street Triple R. The Speed had just a little more low-end torque, but the Street revs up so fast you'll never notice. That motor is the best I've ever seen/heard/been on. On the other hand, you *will* notice the Speed's weight.

I'm very glad I got the Street, and I would definitely get the R: it's only a little more money for a lot more suspension.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
trapperj OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Street vs speed

Exactly the nudge I was looking for. I reckon at 51 years old my insurance won't be awful either way...but the 675 is better there too I bet. I am excited and now have to decide which color? Decisions ...oh well. Not a bad place to be really.

Thanks again!
Old 04-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #8
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 294

-Jake
Old 04-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #9
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,175
I know it's considered heresy to not like a Speed Triple. Sort of like not liking the Beatles.

But the Speed Trip is a pig. A pig with lots of power, but a pig nonetheless.

The Street Trip is sublime. Maybe the perfect non-touring motorcycle.

'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace[/SIZE]
'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #10
wrecked'em
satisfied enzyte user

Oddometer: 428
I love triumphs 3 cyclinder bikes but id look at the aprillia rsv4 naked. they have just lowered prices too.
http://www.apriliausa.com/en-US/Mode.../Overview.aspx
the aprillia is $2000 cheaper compared to the speedtriple r and is better equipped.

wrecked'em screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 11:27 AM
wrecked'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #11
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,102
FWIW, there is a 2012 street triple in FM for sale. Not mine.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #12
buck80mph
"Power Junkie"

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloADV View Post
I know it's considered heresy to not like a Speed Triple. Sort of like not liking the Beatles.

Sure it's a pig compared to a "lil" CBR250! I went from a zx12r to a S3. The S3 is a scaple with ample power compared to the zx12. The Zx12 is a pig with lots of power... This scenario goes on and on and on etc..... yawn and on and on....
buck80mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #13
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
I like both bikes, but I think I'd gravitate to the Street, in white if a 2013!
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #14
jamboa
jamboa

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloADV View Post

If U think the Speed Triple is a Pig wonder what you would think of my B King set up as a sport tourer? Surprise it handles well in the twisties! I wish I could ride a Street. i have heard so much about them. trapper you need to see if the dealer has a Street and Speed demos to check both out. The 11 up triple is no Pig in the handling but with the less weight of the Street it ought to handle even better. I had an 06 Speedie and it was fun but I felt like I was riding on top of the bike instead of in the bike. i rather the feel of in the bike. Just me.
13 CB1100F
12 Speedmaster
jamboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #15
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamboa View Post
If U think the Speed Triple is a Pig wonder what you would think of my B King set up as a sport tourer? Surprise it handles well in the twisties! I wish I could ride a Street. i have heard so much about them. trapper you need to see if the dealer has a Street and Speed demos to check both out. The 11 up triple is no Pig in the handling but with the less weight of the Street it ought to handle even better. I had an 06 Speedie and it was fun but I felt like I was riding on top of the bike instead of in the bike. i rather the feel of in the bike. Just me.
I've ridden both the new and old speed triple and they're very different bikes but I would never call either a pig!

The old bike you kind of steer from the rear. The suspension is a little bit on the soft side and it's kind of a "sunday-drivish" version of a hooligan bike with a cracking engine if that makes any sense at all.

The new Speed Triple is more focused and feels more like a modern Ducati Monster - there is significantly more weight over the front end and also much better feels for what's going on. It's still not super, super planted when pushing through long sweeping corners compared to something like a Fireblade - but then I've only ridden the stock Speed Triple and not the Speed Triple R. I imagine that the R bike would have everything 100% sorted.
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote