User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 06:55 AM   #31
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
let the wrenching begin!

At least it's not missing a bunch of pieces. Looks to be all there. That's better than I usually do. Yet another person smarter than me.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #32
Snapping Twig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
Holy crap. I didn't notice at first, but you really did put some tlc in that bike.

Nicely done, man.
Thanks!

Labor of love.

Apparently I was not the first to learn to ride on it, or the second, etc. It taught a lot of people to ride, gave my FIL joy and after a refreshment and upgrade, it took good care of me.

It deserved the treatment.

The new owner was shocked at the handling and his friend that joined him when he bought it was too.

I ride the San Mateo hills. My friends with modern sprotbiles looked good in the mirrors when we rode together. :)
Snapping Twig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #33
mikesova OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,831
I just got back from 4 days away (out of state conference). I just spent a few minutes pulling the battery out and taking the tank off and familiarizing myself with the setup. It's kind of strange deal. However the top tank is pretty clean and I hooked up a new battery. All of the lights work, the fuel pump kicks on "on" and "reserve". The starter rolls over.

My next moves are to drain the bottom tank, pull off the carbs, and lube the throttle cables (they are frozen).

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:13 AM   #34
ZZ-R Rider
Captain Fantastic

Oddometer: 409
SWEET FIND!!! Congrats man! Hope ya get 'er runnin' ... that'd make a nice Bobber!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #35
eric123
Gott Mit Uns

Oddometer: 1,470
Good looking bike.
eric123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #36
mikesova OP
Beastly Adventurer

Has anyone here done the air compressor trick to pop dents out? I'm not expecting miracles, the tank has a long dent along the side with a crease in the middle. I was just hoping to pop it out. I don't expect the crease to go away.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #37
DRconvertible
Lurking in SoCal

Oddometer: 255
I've done it before and it worked fine. My advice--keep the tank bolted to the bike, gas cap on, introduce air through the vent fitting and plug any other fittings. Use a spray nozzle to s-l-o-w-l-y let a little air in at a time. When it has more than a pound or two of pressure, wait. If it's not a really sharp crease, it may pop right out.

If you take the tank off the bike you take the chance of expanding the tank in the wrong directions and then make it impossible to install back on the bike. If a few pounds pressure doesn't do it, stop. The additional air pressure will just ruin the tank.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #38
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,808
It the dent actually has a crease in it, air pressure will not work. The metal has been stretched. I have seen pictures of many tanks destroyed both by air pressure, and by someone filling them with water and freezing them. I saw a picture of one V-Star 650 tank crumpled up like a beer can, because the vent became plugged. The gas expanded in the heat, then contracted when it cooled off, imploding the tank. I would use Bondo to fill in the dent and repaint.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #39
mikesova OP
Beastly Adventurer

I drained the tank tonight. The gas was the color of somebody's urine who is pretty dehydrated. I unhooked the throttle cables, about to begin to remove the carbs, but then decided to wait until I took a bunch of pictures on how it's all hooked up. I don't want any questions when it comes time to put them back.

I think I'm going to disassemble the exhaust and clean it up, next.

In the meantime, I'm going to surf and pick out all the cool parts I want to use.

or

and white wall tires.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:02 AM   #40
ZZ-R Rider
Captain Fantastic

Oddometer: 409
Those black z-bars are awesome! White bicycle-style grips would look cool on 'em! If you're taking the exhaust off, why not wrap 'em for that Old Skool look?!
Old 04-12-2013, 07:54 AM   #41
mikesova OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-R Rider View Post
Those black z-bars are awesome! White bicycle-style grips would look cool on 'em! If you're taking the exhaust off, why not wrap 'em for that Old Skool look?!
That may be an option, depending how well the chrome cleans up.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #42
CurbTiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Those carbs are finicky and don't mess(mod) with the exhaust. Keep it stock and you'll be good. Also, when you're in the carbs, pay careful attention to the main jet/ pilot jet/ "plug that looks like a jet" locations. Maybe one size bigger on the pilot jet to deal with the lean from the factory for emission jetting.
Getting the carbs off is a pain in the arse. Heat up the rubber boots that go to the frame/airbox real good. Those get pushed up into the frame, then that allows you to pull the carbs outta the manifolds then remove them to one side. Heat is your friend. Don't forget to re-seal the manifold to head surfaces. 'Cause you ain't gonna wanna remove the carbs again after you do it once.
Good luck, I hated working on those bikes.

NE
CurbTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #43
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbTiger View Post
Getting the carbs off is a pain in the arse.
Then you should try a V4 Honda for fun. Nothing like trying to get four carburetors on at the same time, with them pointing in different directions.

Seriously, Just roll the intake boot up to the frame filter box, and lift each one out. Then lift the carburetor right up and out of the manifold boot. Reverse for reinstallation.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #44
phillyrube
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
Run, don't look back.....
phillyrube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #45
mikesova OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbTiger View Post
Those carbs are finicky and don't mess(mod) with the exhaust. Keep it stock and you'll be good. Also, when you're in the carbs, pay careful attention to the main jet/ pilot jet/ "plug that looks like a jet" locations. Maybe one size bigger on the pilot jet to deal with the lean from the factory for emission jetting.
Getting the carbs off is a pain in the arse. Heat up the rubber boots that go to the frame/airbox real good. Those get pushed up into the frame, then that allows you to pull the carbs outta the manifolds then remove them to one side. Heat is your friend. Don't forget to re-seal the manifold to head surfaces. 'Cause you ain't gonna wanna remove the carbs again after you do it once.

NE
I was just going to remove the exhaust to clean it up.