User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2015, 11:19 PM   #1
fullmetalscooter OP
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 3,111
12 inch rear wheel honda helix mod

Not my build and not much info . But it seem someone told the front wheel off a helix that uses the bolt in hubs. TO quote: machined out the original disc centre of the wheel'
Then he unbolted the centre hub which you can only do on the pre 91 model as the alloy rim on the later model is one peice.
Then he retrofitted a new centre to the wheel and boltted the original centre hub back in then balanced the rim and bingo done.

http://www.slonaker.net/helixforum/v...php?f=4&t=3219
one picture of it
http://www.meetup.com/maxiscootnz/me...hread/48778644

I don't know why it's not being done before . I guessing someone else with the tools and time is going to do it .
I wonder if someone could make some money on fleabay with this mod? 12 inch rear means you can now go dark side if your into that.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:23 AM   #2
mouserat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
12 inch rear means you can now go dark side if your into that.
Please forgive this ignoramus question, but what do you mean by dark side? The nerd in me wants to believe that there are nefarious supranatural powers involved.
mouserat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:50 PM   #3
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 3,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouserat View Post
Please forgive this ignoramus question, but what do you mean by dark side? The nerd in me wants to believe that there are nefarious supranatural powers involved.
Darkside means a car tire on a motorcycle.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:51 PM   #4
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 3,298
Type in Darkside motorcycle on You Tube and you will see a bunch of videos about it.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:29 PM   #5
millican
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Does the 12" tire clear the exhaust manifold because it's narrower? I thought to clear that and have a bigger tire meant going electric or really loud.
millican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:30 PM   #6
fullmetalscooter OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouserat View Post
Not with a helix but I have to say that there are nefarious supernatural powers involved if I managed to get a date. Woman fall for me but that's beceasue I run up behind them and push them over .

The stock 10 inch wheel is just to small I feel . It seem like this mod may be the way to go.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:06 AM   #7
tbonestone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
I get the mod. I like the mod, but something still doesn't make sense. That rim does not look like a rim from a pre-'91 helix. Certain aftermarket parts houses sell rims without hubs so you can bolt up your hub and go from there. Something just doesn't add up in the photo.
tbonestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:18 AM   #8
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,981
You can also get 10" car tires if you know where to look.

Classic mini coopers were 10" tires and there's a few well stocked sources for them.
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 02:03 PM   #9
bandito2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
I don't see any pictures with the new tire/wheel set up mounted and operational. Personally. I'd like
to see videos of it as well. Getting a 10" car tire to fit seems a bit iffy, but if I still had my old Helix
you know I sure would try. But a 12" car tire? That seems dubious. (oh, and I do have a source for
10" car tires that I searched for and found, just in case I ever get another Helix some day to Darkside)

The smallest car tire I could find was a 145/70R12 tire like I use on my Honda Reflex scooters and it
>JUST< fits the Reflex. And I believe the Reflex case is longer to accommodate the stock 130/70-12"
wheel & tire. The Helix uses a 120/90-10 which is even more narrow than the Reflex. I have used a
155/80R12 on the Reflex, but it required a modification to the swing arm. (but not with the 145/70R12
or 145/80R12 tires) (I, the originator of the "Darkside" Reflex have tried these)

The thing that gives me doubts is the distance from the center of the rear axle to the backside of the
crankcase. I have a hard time imagining that there is actually enough distance/room there for a 12"
tire.... not to mention the limited width/distances from the seat/ & storage space, driveline case and
right side swingarm that just fits the Helix 120/90-10 wheel & tire.

BTW, I know that a 175/70R13 will fit and work on the Honda Silverwing. Tried it earlier this spring.
Not sure if it affects the ABS because I didn't have a pulser ring for it, but I know that the 165/65R13
car tire is closest to the stock scooter tire size (diameter wise anyway) and has no negative effect
on the ABS.

I have my doubts, but if a 12" tire & wheel actually does work on the Helix, then that is awesome.
"Darkside" Honda Reflex. "Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."
bandito2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:04 PM   #10
Cosmic_Jumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Didn't the Piaggio Hexagon use a Helix engine & drive train and use a 12" wheel & tire?
Cosmic_Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:52 PM   #11
fullmetalscooter OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_Jumper View Post
Didn't the Piaggio Hexagon use a Helix engine & drive train and use a 12" wheel & tire?
I do know that it did use the helix engine . As to the guy whom post the original links on the helix forum he s copped out saying the threads closed if we really care about we will contact him. Is it real ? will the pictures shows a custom made center in a helix wheel. As to the size we can only take him at his word. The fact that he doesn't post pictures of it mounted says that it my be a failed Mod .
I don't understand anyone whom Does something like this and Doesn't Crow it the heavens. Look what I ve done that no one else has.
Bottom line is if you have a set of per 1991 wheels laying around. A wielder and a lathe then you could prove or disprove it . First step is the math of will the wheel fit ? Only way to see is if you lathe out the front wheel to prep it . Wield in a new center that is drilled for per 91 steel bolt in rear drum center.
Crag vettter says he can't see it working .
Old 05-18-2015, 06:26 AM   #12
Cosmic_Jumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
Crag vettter says he can't see it working .
All due props to Craig Vetter; I'm sure that if he could have adapted a 12" wheel to fit he would have done that rather than to have had special gears made to alter his final drive ratio. But where is it that he said that 'he can't see it [12" wheel] working'?

This may be naive, but couldn't it be possible to take "any" 12" steel wheel and weld in a new center to adapt a Helix hub? Or a Big Ruckus or Reflex wheel adapted to fit, maybe by changing the final drive splined shaft?
Tim

Cosmic_Jumper screwed with this post 05-18-2015 at 06:33 AM
Cosmic_Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:12 PM   #13
fullmetalscooter OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_Jumper View Post
All due props to Craig Vetter; I'm sure that if he could have adapted a 12" wheel to fit he would have done that rather than to have had special gears made to alter his final drive ratio. But where is it that he said that 'he can't see it [12" wheel] working'?

This may be naive, but couldn't it be possible to take "any" 12" steel wheel and weld in a new center to adapt a Helix hub? Or a Big Ruckus or Reflex wheel adapted to fit, maybe by changing the final drive splined shaft?
Tim
What he said to me last week ( He does answer his email if your not bugging about small ship )
Hi Dav: A larger diameter tire would gear the engine up. But The rubber of my standard tire already almost touches the engine casting. I dont see how a larger diameter tire would fit.

Id spend the money with a new set of gears from Jon Vos:

janvos39@gmail.com

Thanks.

Craig
Old 05-23-2015, 07:10 AM   #14
StingerCo
Mid life crisis #2

Oddometer: 170
The Proof is in the Pudding!

Actually FMS, ironic that you should have posted this topic because just a few days prior to you posting I found out about this modification. I have remained quiet giving the inventor of the modification time to respond but since he hasn't I will share some photos with you.

I met him on www.maxi-scoots.com where he had complimented me on my restoration of my Helix. We hit it off well as he currently also owns just two scoots, like me....a Helix and a TMAX. Anyway, he told me about his 12" wheel modification and suggested that I do the same. His name is Simon and he is the founder of the Maxi Scooter Riders Club in New Zealand.

Here are some pictures of his final mod complete and installed although he says that this is just version #1. Perhaps he has something else up his sleeve?

StingerCo screwed with this post 05-23-2015 at 07:19 AM
StingerCo is offline   Reply With Quote