Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2015, 03:41 PM   #1
Maccaoz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Honda Future(Vietnam)Suspension ideas.

G'day
We have a Honda Future (125cc Underbone) in storage at Vung Tau Vietnam.
A great little bike that's just completed 12,000km touring the south of Vietnam with no problems except the severe lack of suspension.
With 90kg of rider,60kg of pillion and about 15kg of panniers and rack bag the front and rear suspension bottoms out on big bumps and potholes.
We will be returning to VN in August to tour the North for 3 months and she who must be obeyed requires more comfort than the Honda presently provides.
Heaver sprung shocks (of unknown quality) are available in Vung Tau, as for fork springs/fork oil of different weights etc.,that could be a big ask.
Before returning to Oz the wife had a chat to the head mechanic of the big new Honda shop in Vung Tau about suspension upgrades, his reply was "that's how Honda make them and nothing can be changed"
All ideas and suggestions on suspension improvements welcome.
Cheers, Macca
Maccaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:24 PM   #2
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 3,056
when it comes to stuff most of have never seen it goes back to eye ball 101 for the rear shocks. Take them off and see what size they are eg 300MM long and go from there. With out knowing what it's call in other countries it's hard to help. You didn't even include the model numbers . Eg Elite ch250 Honda helix cn250. With the ch or cn etc you can reference it to other bikes. Knowing what size shocks it the first step then you can find after market once to fit. Eg the honda cn250 helix can use one 1990 cb500 shock an upgrade . It seem to work. Best case is take the shocks around to bike places there and see what for sale. Maybe even just ask someone to put heavy springs in rear.

fullmetalscooter screwed with this post 02-17-2015 at 09:32 PM
fullmetalscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:37 PM   #3
Maccaoz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
when it comes to stuff most of have never seen it goes back to eye ball 101 for the rear shocks. Take them off and see what size they are eg 300MM long and go from there. With out knowing what it's call in other countries it's hard to help. You didn't even include the model numbers . Eg Elite ch250 Honda helix cn250. With the ch or cn etc you can reference it to other bikes. Knowing what size shocks it the first step then you can find after market once to fit. Eg the honda cn250 helix can use one 1990 cb500 shock an upgrade . It seem to work. Best case is take the shocks around to bike places there and see what for sale. Maybe even just ask someone to put heavy springs in rear.
G'day
As I said in the post shocks "are" available(just the quality is unknown)they are cheap enough to buy and try.Its the forks that are the main point of interest. There must be some good bodges to improve the action of weakly sprung/dampened forks,or have the days of DIY passed us by.
As in post- the bike is a Vietnamese made "Honda Future" (underbone)125cc that's closely related to the millions of other underbones,of all brands and names,that infest most parts of Asia.
The strange thing is that even tho Vietnamese carry enormous loads on the poor little underbones suspension/rack/pannier frame upgrades seem to be unheard of, a few with 2 extra shocks and reo rod racks welded in position is about it.
I'm thinking that all the "Postie Bike" riders out there could have similar fork problems and some ideas on a fix.

Maccaoz screwed with this post 02-17-2015 at 11:42 PM Reason: more
Old 02-18-2015, 07:52 AM   #4
Growl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
add 1" pre-oad spacer in each fork leg (a piece of pipe to add 1" more compression to the spring)

rework the seats or get airhawk seat pads

keep searching for quality rear shocks with a higher spring rate. get them in Australia
Growl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:06 AM   #5
Eliter85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Sometimes even just improving the rear shocks can be enough. My 30 year old scooters shocks were high on on my list to fix. But once I fixed the rear shocks I've realized the front ones are acceptable.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2015, 02:34 PM   #6
Maccaoz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the reply's blokes.
I will try the preload spacer trick on the forks and maybe add a touch more fork oil.
I should have measured shock bolt diameters etc but in the rush of organising storage for the bike it didn't happen.Looks like I buy the best of the shocks available in VN.
Seat is surprisingly comfortable, good enough for the odd 8 hour days.
The bike/scooter/underbone is a good little thing,will sit on 70kph all day,loaded as we are.Power drops off dramatically in the mountains where its back to second gear and 20kph.Thats OK as we are there to see the country and at 20 you do get to have a decent look