Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #31
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasigentrified View Post
okay, this scoot ROCKS. now that i've really started breaking it in, i've found it to be as flickable and nimble as the sportcity 250 despite the size, and the midrange power curve is REALLY satisfying.

let me amend a few things after almost 500 miles (in two weeks)
- it no longer needs to "warm up" after ignition. i can now hit the button and go without any real accleration burps.
- i've gotten used to the engine braking. it takes a little more throttle finesse at parade speeds and stop-and-go to smooth it out, but the hitches aren't paticularly annoying now -- they're almost imperceptible.
- you can lean like a mofo with it. i was being way too nervy earlier. i shredded woodinville-redmond road (mild twisties, some rough patches) and rode hard on the ass of a ducati monster . (he coulda destroyed me, he was just riding smart)
- OH MY GOD THE STORAGE SPACE I LOVE IT
- my wife thinks it actually looks sexy <3 (she has bad taste in men AND bikes)

Yes! i agree with your scooter review.

I removed my windscreen (as per usual for me) and it feels even sportier!
Old 04-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #32
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 821
I like the BV350 and have checked them out at our local dealer.

WAY more storage space than my BV500. Nice design, very comfortable...

I think you made a really good choice...
Old 04-11-2013, 12:23 AM   #33
Domindart
Scoot'in on......

Oddometer: 15

ass shot, don't mind the messy garage

Love the colors!! That dark red is nice, reminds me of some BMW's or other high end car manufacturers that put the nice leather seats in. really would like to see more of this bike..
Domindart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #34
quasigentrified OP
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 626
Wink

taking it on the 101 loop next weekend. hope to get some great pictures, and to burn some weekender harleys!
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #35
quasigentrified OP
Cityfolk

had some sun bust through this afternoon so i took a nice long-ish afternoon ride down through duvall and issaquah. man, i *like* this new piaggio motor -- it's got some real personality, with a grunty aggressive band in the middle that makes back roads into little adventures. the schoolmarmish engine braking has actually become really charming to me, and there's always this sense that the motor WANTS you to quit dithering around and throttle up already, you lazy bastard. 35-60 is a nonstop party. i want a nice brappy aftermarket pipe for this, because this engine has a hilariously FUN sense of drama.

the honda pcx150 this *ain't*. :lol i like and respect my wife's scoot for its nimbleness and electric-clean startup but, man, i'll take a little warmup if the result is this sort of wolfish backstreet attitude!

edit: oh, and i'm suprised at the compliments i've been getting from other riders on this scoot. i figured folks would go "oh, big plasticky vespa, lol wut" and ignore it. at both my stops, though (an auto parts store and a woodinville tavern), i got questions and props from the harley dudes there. one guy was "that looks like it actually goes over 60" and when i told him it'd do 80 on a bad day and 85+ on a good one, he became REALLY interested. after discussing it a bit, he gave the scoot a look-over and declared "yeeeeah, this is a MAN'S scooter." ooooo-kay! :lol

quasigentrified screwed with this post 04-14-2013 at 06:25 PM
Old 04-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #36
quasigentrified OP
Cityfolk

sort of as an aside: we have a LOT of weekend warrior harley riders out here. i'll usually chat with them and pretend to admire their farkletastic rides, because, hey, two wheels is fun regardless and why be a dick? (i like the look of the heavy iron 883s and nightsters, anyhow.) i've noticed, though, that at least 1 in 4 of these folks take an AWFUL lot of interest in my scoot when i'm on one (they couldn't sneer harder at my aprilia bike, though) -- and they ask me TONS of surprisingly uninsulting and legitimately curious questions about it. either they simply like two-wheels enough to have an open mind and are considering adding one to the stable; OR, if i'm reading them right, they REALLY don't find ACTUAL joy in their giant, heavy-ass, lumbering road kings and ultra glides. maybe the props and hog culture outweigh the slo-mo straight-line buffalo herd travel, but i just can't imagine...

just observing!

quasigentrified screwed with this post 04-14-2013 at 10:03 PM
Old 04-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #37
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
How are the linked brakes on the BV350? I've only read the one report from Klaviator on how well they worked.
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #38
quasigentrified OP
Cityfolk

they're okay. i've never been a fan of linked brakes, because i've developed my own sort of preferred braking methodc from riding bigger bikes, like where i roll heavy on the front and use the rear for minor adjustments in clean stops; or where i feather the rear for "dancing" in parking lots -- and i feel like linking is a useless one-approach-fits-nobody implementation that doesn't let me play with situational techniques so well. THAT said, the bv's linked implentation seems to be less, er, obvious than the honda one (in the sh150i and pcx150), and i haven't had a cause to complain -- probably because the massively low center of gravity lets me be a little lazier when it comes to braking technique/strategy overall?
Old 04-14-2013, 09:52 PM   #39
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,382
It's been interesting reading your comments on engine braking. Lack of engine braking is one of my biggest complaints about my Sport City, especially in the mountains. Oh well, at least it has great brakes.

Glad your enjoying the BV.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:00 PM   #40
quasigentrified OP
Cityfolk

i stll kinda miss my sportcity 250. i mean, overall, the bv 350 addresses the big thing the 250 couldn't give me: a sense of security and stability on the superslab and its bridges, plus more juice for superslab passing overall. but when it comes to backroads or urban shenanigans, i have yet to have the crazy, flickable, spontaneous fun you can have with the sc250 overall. i mean: i'd just suddenly think OH I'M GONNA AVOID THIS LIGHT AND LUNGE THROUGH THIS PARKING LOT on a second's notice, or i'd dig into a little gravel or mud without fear because why not, it weighs nothing. it was crazy fun! the wife's pcx150 is too gutless and too slick to compare.

it was 320 pounds of PURE TROUBLEMAKIN'
Old 04-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #41
quasigentrified OP
Cityfolk

man, this thing can ROAR out of 45-60 mph corners. it's not the mana, no doubt, but DAMN you can put a little drama into the corner exit!

i should really not be having this much fun. ;-)
Old 04-25-2013, 01:13 AM   #42
TechFrog
Professional Amature

Oddometer: 19
BV350 long term notes

Quote:
first off, pics, because that's all you jerks care about. 2013 piaggio bv350, SHINY BLACK. i was torn between it and silver, but i didn't want to be mistaken for a bmw .....

any other owners have longer term experience with the bv350? anything i should look out for? i think i'll want a bigger windscreen at some point. any preferred saddlebags for it?
I too have the black one and have had it about um... 6 months maybe? Hmm... gotta think about that. Anyway, I have a few issues, but will first say it's really a GREAT machine. I currently also own a Honda PCX125, PCX150 (125 going up for sale) and besides my BV350, I will soon have a Honda NC700X since I usually always have a motorcycle around. Well, back to the BV... it's really the perfect mid-size commuter for me. Perfect balance of weight/power for half day commutes. I will probably always have a 150 around (like my PCX) because there is no better size for zipping around the local town, especially when there is LA traffic.

As for my issues, yes I agree with the engine braking, but I've gotten used to it. That is no longer really an issue, but if I were Piaggio, I would pay closer attention to details like Honda does (gauges mostly). I mean, I know Piaggio is not all-in Stateside, but if they really do want this market, they should give us our own speedometer. Not only is the speed hard to read (small MPH vs. big KPH numbers, but the speedo lies more than a fat kid that knows nothing of the missing pie. I always have to sit there and do math to figure out my speed. I don't mean it is optimistic by 1 or 2 mph, but as high as 6 or 7 depending on speed. I know because my GPS is right there giving me the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help me dog.

So the speedo is my number one gripe (yes I know this is not the only scooter with this "issue," but this is not the only gauge that is bad). The fuel gauge may as well just be painted there with a random reading. It is only good to let you know the first half of your tank has something in it. After that, forget it, and forget the refuel light, because it comes on about 80 miles premature. It seems to be the perfect gauge if it were a 2 gallon tank instead of the actual 3.4.

Last gripe is the lack of a parking brake. My beloved BV350 already fell on a slight downgrade. Yes, it was my fault for not using the centerstand, but it didn't seem that much of a downgrade for this to happen. Yup, $600 damage when the thing was less than a week old. Parking brake would have solved this. Can't park in gear like my motorcycles, so there it is, my gripes.

So with all that said, I still think the pros far outweigh the cons. I ride in a scooter group, and even though I'm about 30lbs overweight, I have two vespa 300 gts' in the group and have them both burning an image in my mirrors, even when they are lighter than me by a good 20-30lbs. The only place it's pretty even is off the line. After about 25mph, there is no competition, I simply dust them. Burgman 400's have basically the same HP (32/33ish) but Burgs are about 90-100lbs. heavier, so you can do that math. Of course, these groups are never about racing, but when a few of us do our own balls-out riding, I'm just always waiting at the end of the road. Riding this thing is just fun. The powerband, the handling, the smooth engine. The bike is a stroke of genius. If they ironed out the gauges, I would have the perfect scooter. This is coming from a guy that has owned about 20 motorcycles over 30 years including a Yamaha FJR1300 which I sold recently. I know bikes, and I've found a really great one in this BV350

TechFrog screwed with this post 04-25-2013 at 01:19 AM
TechFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:16 AM   #43
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,856
Great assessment

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechFrog View Post
I too have the black one and have had it about um... 6 months maybe? Hmm... gotta think about that. Anyway, I have a few issues, but will first say it's really a GREAT machine. I currently also own a Honda PCX125, PCX150 (125 going up for sale) and besides my BV350, I will soon have a Honda NC700X since I usually always have a motorcycle around. Well, back to the BV... it's really the perfect mid-size commuter for me. Perfect balance of weight/power for half day commutes. I will probably always have a 150 around (like my PCX) because there is no better size for zipping around the local town, especially when there is LA traffic.

As for my issues, yes I agree with the engine braking, but I've gotten used to it. That is no longer really an issue, but if I were Piaggio, I would pay closer attention to details like Honda does (gauges mostly). I mean, I know Piaggio is not all-in Stateside, but if they really do want this market, they should give us our own speedometer. Not only is the speed hard to read (small MPH vs. big KPH numbers, but the speedo lies more than a fat kid that knows nothing of the missing pie. I always have to sit there and do math to figure out my speed. I don't mean it is optimistic by 1 or 2 mph, but as high as 6 or 7 depending on speed. I know because my GPS is right there giving me the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help me dog.

So the speedo is my number one gripe (yes I know this is not the only scooter with this "issue," but this is not the only gauge that is bad). The fuel gauge may as well just be painted there with a random reading. It is only good to let you know the first half of your tank has something in it. After that, forget it, and forget the refuel light, because it comes on about 80 miles premature. It seems to be the perfect gauge if it were a 2 gallon tank instead of the actual 3.4.

Last gripe is the lack of a parking brake. My beloved BV350 already fell on a slight downgrade. Yes, it was my fault for not using the centerstand, but it didn't seem that much of a downgrade for this to happen. Yup, $600 damage when the thing was less than a week old. Parking brake would have solved this. Can't park in gear like my motorcycles, so there it is, my gripes.

So with all that said, I still think the pros far outweigh the cons. I ride in a scooter group, and even though I'm about 30lbs overweight, I have two vespa 300 gts' in the group and have them both burning an image in my mirrors, even when they are lighter than me by a good 20-30lbs. The only place it's pretty even is off the line. After about 25mph, there is no competition, I simply dust them. Burgman 400's have basically the same HP (32/33ish) but Burgs are about 90-100lbs. heavier, so you can do that math. Of course, these groups are never about racing, but when a few of us do our own balls-out riding, I'm just always waiting at the end of the road. Riding this thing is just fun. The powerband, the handling, the smooth engine. The bike is a stroke of genius. If they ironed out the gauges, I would have the perfect scooter. This is coming from a guy that has owned about 20 motorcycles over 30 years including a Yamaha FJR1300 which I sold recently. I know bikes, and I've found a really great one in this BV350

Nice review.

How do you and the seat get along? (Im having my bolster shaved...errr, my seat's bolster)
Old 04-25-2013, 06:27 AM   #44
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,671
Quote:
ugh, those pics came out awful. i'll take some with a real camera laterz.
Thanks for the pics-I like that scoot too! Now that you've got it, clean up that corner of the garage before it burns down with the scoot in it
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #45
Jaqen H'ghar
Valar Morgoulis

Oddometer: 196
[QUOTE=gogogordy;21111723]I'm loving my BV-350, and have (had) only one gripe. The windshield. Now its gone and so is my gripe:

gogo,
How about some more pics of your repainted BV350? Can't see the whole bike in that pic.
I love that red, it looks like Ferrari red and it looks good it that color.

2014 R1200 RT
Jaqen H'ghar is offline   Reply With Quote