Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 04:30 AM   #16
ZZ-R Rider
Captain Fantastic

Oddometer: 404
The Kawasaki ZZ-R250 (EX250-H) was actually marketed in Canada as a "Lite" Sport Tourer ... and it really does that duty very well on secondary roadways ... all-day comfortable to Ride, plenty of tie-down hooks, dual trip meters ... even a little fairing storage compartment.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:37 AM   #17
firebrick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 886
With regards to gearing, I went to a 15 front and a 44 rear and felt that is the way they should have came stock. Also dont forget to shim the cush drive with some cut up plastic from a milk jug .
Old 04-06-2013, 07:25 AM   #18
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,933
Mine is my commuting/errand bike. Ocasionally I ride it farther on the weekends, but usually take the VFR for those rides. The 250 has a set of Nelson Rigg Silver Streak saddle bags on it pretty much 24/7 which help with the errand part of the equation. It's a 2007 and now has 15K on it. Bought it in 2008 with 400 miles on it from a guy who was "ready for something bigger because [he] outgrew this little bike."

I wish it had about 10 more HP mostly because I'm tall and act like a giant sail while riding the thing. It will not do 65-70 MPH with me on it unless it's dead calm or I have a tailwind...and this is NM so it's windy more often than not, and it's always a headwind . Add the wind to the hills and mountains in the rockies and it's definitely on the underpowered side for me. BUT...I still like riding it and for city use, it's perfect. I love the soft suspension for the crappy streets and the light weight is nice too. If I were to replace it, it would be another small displacement bike. The CBR250 makes that list, as does the TU250, and all the new Honda 500 parallel twins. I would not buy a new style Ninja 250 (don't care for the styling and the lack of proper instrumentation) or the Ninja 300 (too expensive for what it is).

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #19
Gadget Girl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
The '06 that our oldest bought when he got home from Army Basic as his primary transportation worked great for him! He rode it everywhere and even from ATL to Orlando to visit a buddy.

It got handed down to son #2 and has survived the two of them beautifully.

After a little too much sitting while they were both off at school we're getting it ready for son #3 to take over in June after he turns 16 and takes his MSF.

After what those kids put the little bike through I can recommend this bike without reservation to any and all riders. It's a blast to ride (yea, mom took it out a few times) and is the toughest most reliable bike we have.

Have a great time touring/commuting. It will never let you down!

There are those who own motorcycles and they can sell a bike and never think about it again. Then there are riders! You get it or you don't.
Gadget Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #20
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Gadget Girl, I like the way you roll! My two boys have both done a lot of dirt riding with me and their uncles, but neither cares too much for riding in general. Maybe, just maybe, if I had a little Ninja it would be more enticing than the dual sports (I don't really get it with these kids of mine).

Anyway, props to you for being enthusiastic and responsible with introducing those kids to motorbikes!
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #21
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,374
Have you guys missed the Ninja 250 thread?

I commute on my 04 Ninja 250 into downtown Philly.
35-37 miles one way, usually takes 1/5 to 2 hours in rush hour traffic in a cage, 45 minutes max in my Ninja 250 between the mirrors of cars.
Occasionally, I ride on the sidewalks to get around stuck delivery trucks, constructions or double parked idiots.

Lil. Ninja is my urban assault vehicle, add a tank bag and I can lay on top of the tank and ride all days long on the highway. 300+ miles between fill-ups is about as much time I want to stay in the saddle.

I would hop on it and do a SS2000 or 50CC no problem.

Cat0020 screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 11:05 AM
Cat0020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:23 AM   #22
ZZ-R Rider
Captain Fantastic

Oddometer: 404
Was at local Kawi dealership yesterday and they had a new Ninja 300R on the floor ... sat on it and it fit real nice! Price was steep though ... $6K and change (Kanuck Bucks) ... Honda's new 500 trio won't be a much more than that ...
Old 04-07-2013, 06:55 AM   #23
doorman OP
Aimless

Oddometer: 224
I've only put about 300 miles on it so far due to the crappy spring weather. So far I'm loving the little ninja though. I plan on doing the 15t sprocket, and upgrading the rear shock. I would also love a better (taller) windscreen at some point.

Took it on a 100 mile shakedown run after mounting all the luggage, and I think it's going to be a nice setup.

Motoflyfishing
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=894025
doorman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:41 AM   #24
HONKR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Bought an 04' in Nov 12 and am quite shocked at how much it suits my riding style. Taller screen, MT75's, 15-39 sprockets, re-jetted and some Krista's to make it suit me better. Gearing is great, 10 mph per 1k rpm in 6th gear.

Quiet, comfortable and smooth with 75 mpg and low cost is hard to beat!

Really looking forward to the warmer weather.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #25
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
. I would also love a better (taller) windscreen at some point.
Be warned that, depending on your height, taller windshields on the wee Ninja make the wind noise TERRIBLE right at your helmet. The most quiet windshield is the stock one or NONE for me at 6'2". Everything else sends highly turbulent and noisy air right into my head.

I put a taller shield on it once hoping the wind would go over my head -- the noise was so bad at even just 30 MPH that earplugs were no help and I could not hear ANYTHING other than a roar.

If you are short and get a REALLY tall shield, you might get the turbulent air over your head but the bike won't go over 50 MPH from all the drag

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
Old 04-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #26
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Be warned that, depending on your height, taller windshields on the wee Ninja make the wind noise TERRIBLE right at your helmet. The most quiet windshield is the stock one or NONE for me at 6'2". Everything else sends highly turbulent and noisy air right into my head
That's why you get a tank bag to lay on top of and just duck under the shield:

I even cut away the passenger seating hump so I can slide further back on the seat.

Shim out the windshield so there would be less turbulent at higher speeds:

Old 04-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #27
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
That's why you get a tank bag to lay on top of and just duck under the shield:

When I lay on the tank on my 250 my helmet touches the windshield The bike is on the small side for me

Old 04-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #28
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,490
Our Ninja 250:

(Now in Flea Market)
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote