Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 03:24 AM   #1
fullmetalscooter OP
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,382
anyone know if the cfmoto helix clone engine well bolt right up to helix?

Anyone know if cfmoto helix clone engine well bolt right up to helix? I see a really cheap cfmoto freedoom with 400 miles on it and thought rather then wield up the broken bolt holes I could just drop the the engine and everything including the brakes , swing arm etc in place of the original helix engine ant tire. At this price i could even take the rest of the parts and still not spend all that much for it.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:45 AM   #2
tbonestone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
There is a very good chance it well. When I had a helix my repair parts were all meant for the cfmoto. The carb I had to replace was a clone carb, but I removed a strange sticker and it was an official kehin. Body parts are the same so I'd bet the motor will fit.
tbonestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
creighta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
I have a cfmoto and have bought parts from Honda that fit including a water pump. The cfmoto are pretty good quality bikes too. I have another Chinese helix clone that also shares parts but is not as good quality. FYI my cfmoto is wired like a late model helix and the other is like he pre 93 helix. Not sure the engine is any different though.

creighta screwed with this post 12-18-2012 at 05:51 PM
creighta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,331
It should. But the CFMoto engine will probably not be anywhere near the quality of the Honda. I don't think I would trust it for long distance riding. I rebuilt the top end on a Lifan Virago 250 clone engine, and found it ton be inferior in every way to the Yamaha. The engines were the same design, and should have been interchangeable. But many of the parts were not. I broke the cheap Lifan rings, and tried to use real Yamaha rings. They did not fit. The Yamaha rings were quite a bit thicker, and would not fit into the grooved in the Lifan pistons. You could tell just by looking that Yamaha was far better quality. Yamaha cylinders were very precisely made. The Lifan cylinders were poorly cast, with a lot of flashing, and also poorly machined. I would expect the same differences between cfmoto and Honda.
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 742
It might.

But exterior appearance, even duplication, is no assurance of internals.

I have a Burgman clone - the model that used to be called VOG. Exterior is a dead-ringer for a first-generation Burgman 400. Inside, it's a Yamaha-design engine; mine is the 300cc FI. The one they tried to sell for a few years.

Cam chain slipped the sprocket at speed. That was in June, and fortunately the dealer was a stand-up guy. He fixed, even though he gave up his franchise on that distributor. Took until last week to get the parts all together; and I'm betting he had to pay for some of them.

You don't want to deal with that. Even if the CFMoto engine is a clone, the part numbers might be different or other small specifications changed. You cannot assume that all the guts of the engine are interchangeable with a Honda unit.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
fullmetalscooter OP
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
It might.

But exterior appearance, even duplication, is no assurance of internals.

I have a Burgman clone - the model that used to be called VOG. Exterior is a dead-ringer for a first-generation Burgman 400. Inside, it's a Yamaha-design engine; mine is the 300cc FI. The one they tried to sell for a few years.

Cam chain slipped the sprocket at speed. That was in June, and fortunately the dealer was a stand-up guy. He fixed, even though he gave up his franchise on that distributor. Took until last week to get the parts all together; and I'm betting he had to pay for some of them.

You don't want to deal with that. Even if the CFMoto engine is a clone, the part numbers might be different or other small specifications changed. You cannot assume that all the guts of the engine are interchangeable with a Honda unit.
\\\

The clones being gone for moths off clist. In some ways it would be interesting because of the rear disk brake on the cfmoto clone.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #7
creighta
Gnarly Adventurer

I have to defend the cfmoto, I am a big fan of their stuff. My helix clone (08) was rock solid. The local Honda dealer did tires and service on it at 5000mi and the mechanics all commented on the engine being identical. I also purchased a waterpump from cfmoto for a poor excuse for a helix clone made by summit hyusung. When I peeled the packing sticker off the drive shaft bag it was screen printed with the Honda logo underrneath the cfmoto packing.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 742
Okay. Your experience is your experience.

Now, without a cross-referencing parts manual, how would you be SURE that a shaft or bearing in a clone motor was EXACTLY the same as the Honda?

What if you needed major repairs? I just went through this. My Xingyue had a Yamaha-designed engine in it; but Xingyue had increased displacement and added fuel injection. What parts correspond? Any? Nobody could tell. So I had to wait for the slow boat from China...six times. They kept sending the wrong parts.

I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I own the clone, but the next time it breaks I'm walking away from it.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #9
creighta
Gnarly Adventurer

I am not sure about the linhai-yamaha, but the 244cc Honda clone through cfmoto is a match. There is info out there, cfmoto contracted with Honda in the last years of the helix. When Honda cut production cfmoto continued it. Honda tried to bring the helix back and lost a lawsuit with cfmoto that Blocked the return. Our local cfmoto dealer had the news article on the wall, but I forget the exact source. Not trying to stir anything up, just passing on the info.

The engine should bolt up.
Cfmoto will be decent quality.
In the event something doesn't match Honda in parts, you can go to cfmoto for it.
IMO avoid most other Chinese makes such as summit hyosang, they are not good quality internally.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:52 AM   #10
deezildennis
Its a what?

Oddometer: 745
A ex coworker has 22k on his cfmoto clone and it seems to be doing alright I don't think he had many issues with it other than eating rear tires up.. That seems to be a characteristic of the helix design with the dinky rear tires.
The engine is a bolt up for the helix.
deezildennis is offline   Reply With Quote