User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
Irish John OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Lights on my '02 280 Pro?

I recently bought an '02 GG 280 Pro. Primary purpose is to ride club events. Secondary purpose will be occasional trail riding. I would like to set up lights on the bike. I know these originally came with a headlight which I assume was powered by a lighting coil. Can someone point me to info on hooking up a light, what type light the system will power, suggestions on a tail light and a wiring diagram for hooking up the lights.
Irish John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Wiring diagrams on this page.

http://www.trialspartsusa.com/electrical.html
Old 04-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
LarryDawg
trials nut

Oddometer: 74
how do you like the bike so far??

im trading my TL250 and a couple of parts motors for a 02, gas gas pro 280!! hope to have it next weekend.
Ive been wondering..... when you go to GasGas site they dont show much info on them...
Dawg
Old 04-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Yeah service manuals are hard to find. You can find parts manuals and diagrams easy. And lots of tech info on the trials parts USA site.

For parts I suggest Mike at the Tryals Shop
http://www.tryalsshop.com/

(or) Scott Armstrong at Moto Connection in VT
http://www.motoconnectionvt.com/

Both are great guys and very helpful. Scott answers my endless emails almost immediately and when I bought the rear fender for my 1992 he had it to me in 2 days. And Mike did the same for both a front fender and clutch kit.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish John View Post
I recently bought an '02 GG 280 Pro. Primary purpose is to ride club events. Secondary purpose will be occasional trail riding. I would like to set up lights on the bike. I know these originally came with a headlight which I assume was powered by a lighting coil. Can someone point me to info on hooking up a light, what type light the system will power, suggestions on a tail light and a wiring diagram for hooking up the lights.
That 02, and most of these back then, the wiring was all connected to the lightning coils. those wires (until about 2009) were cut in most all bikes that were used for trials, to clean out the snake pit when removing the lights. The NEW bikes however, have nice plug in connectors about everywhere, and tail lights semi integrated into the fenders, you saw on ours maybe. sometimes the guy that cuts that stuff off saves it, sometimes they don't in that bikes case they didn't. It came from a guy in KC before it was in my area, you know. Dale might recall who it was, maybe he still has crap in a box, however unlikely.

I would venture a guess that somoene will have cut lights off their old bike and might have that stuff laying around, but It would take more energy to rewire it all back up, than I have, lol...

I see people use battery operated LEDs they use on bicycles, the trials lights were mainly just to "meet" the regs (have light) as they see fit overseas. Seems to me, that MOST of the bikes in USA can't get titles for on road anyhow, but some might be, I dunno.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #6
Irish John OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yep, after looking at the wiring diagram, rat's nest indeed!

Probably just go with LED lights when the time comes. Bike is running great, just need more practice, 30 years is a long time away from a sport...

Sting, shoot me an email and let me know how you guys did in TX.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
Irish John OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryDawg View Post
im trading my TL250 and a couple of parts motors for a 02, gas gas pro 280!! hope to have it next weekend.
Ive been wondering..... when you go to GasGas site they dont show much info on them...
Dawg

I've been quite happy with my bike, I think you will really like the 280. Everytime I have taken it out to practice, I am amazed at how much bikes have changed since "back in the day". It truly is learning the sport all over again.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #8
mung
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Lights

You might want to consider putting some bicycle lights on the trialer.They are getting to be very good.
mung is offline   Reply With Quote