User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
BlueSkyGuy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Metzler Tourance Next

Currently on Metzler Tourance and really have been impressed about 23,000 miles on the set and I was completely convinced I wil use the same again. I haven't heard a great deal about the EXP version and the Next is new to me. The next looks far more street bias than the standard Tourance. I am pretty well a 95/5 rider has anyone tried the Next yet?
BlueSkyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,298
I have the Tourance EXP, which is similar in on road profile to the Next. Not sure why they have two tires so similar,but I cannot tell I'm on a tire built for a adventure bike.
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
nameisdam
Ride & Refresh Database

Oddometer: 147
Metz - Next

Talked to the rep at the Dealers show - Metzler has realized that the EXP was less than expected for mileage & wear issues - most GS riders switched back to the Tourance, or went with another brand.
Thus, the redesign and the new "Next" version - to be available any time now.
Suppose to be longer wearing, better wet weather, and not do the strange wear patterns (like my set did).
Been real happy with the standard Tourances for 100K or so, but interested in the new version - either way, will not go back to the EXP (being discontinued anyway).
Ride well.
nameisdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 680
sounds like a pretty wide range of sizes available (still asking for an 18" rear!), but as other said, better wet weather grip, durability, and dual compound. Sounds like they'll be in stock at the distributor by the end of the month..
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
The "NEXT" is also a dual compound rear tire. Read up on the tire on Revzilla. Great info on the tire stats. The front has a high content of silica as well.

Sounds like a great tire. So far, I'm liking the Tourance EXP that came on my GS/A. This is my first adv bike and tire and I like them for grip so far. I'm a ex-sportbiker who thinks his GS is a sport bike. No complaints on grip yet.
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #6
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,708
Would love to know the secret of how you guys are getting such high mileage out of a set of Tourances.

I get 6-7K out of the rear and maybe 10-12K front out of the original formula Tourances.
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
TriTi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I used to ride Tourance's... after a lot of asking around and research I decided to switch to Pirelli Scorpion Trail's. I ride off road sometimes, but the majority is on road. I wanted a tire that I could really get going on the twisty's and still be ok-ish on trails. I know if you have Tourances and like them you will probably stick with them, but coming from Tourances to the Pirelli Scorpion Trails (PST), I will never go back. I think the PST's are better on and off road but especially on the road.
TriTi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
wildy
The Highwayman

Oddometer: 208
I currently have Next on my new WC GS. They are awesome. They turn in fast and give outstanding grip. I have had. 1150 which had the original tourances on it - great tyre but IMHO not as good as the next. I have also had. GSA with exp - a good tyre outlet down by mileage. If the next give good mileage then it wil be the definitive tyre.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #9
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb90535im View Post
Would love to know the secret of how you guys are getting such high mileage out of a set of Tourances.

I get 6-7K out of the rear and maybe 10-12K front out of the original formula Tourances.
Judging by how mine are wearing with about 3400 miles on them (the EXP) model, I will probably be in the same boat.
Oh wait...you're talking about the original ones....no idea there....at this point I will still post my response to increase post count so I can look like I know what im talking about in another thread
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:55 AM   #10
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameisdam View Post
Talked to the rep at the Dealers show - Metzler has realized that the EXP was less than expected for mileage & wear issues - most GS riders switched back to the Tourance, or went with another brand.
Thus, the redesign and the new "Next" version - to be available any time now.
Suppose to be longer wearing, better wet weather, and not do the strange wear patterns (like my set did).
Been real happy with the standard Tourances for 100K or so, but interested in the new version - either way, will not go back to the EXP (being discontinued anyway).
Ride well.
Any news on availability date for the new & improved Tourance?

By chance does anyone know the tread depth of a new Tourance (non-EXP)? I'm trying to estimate the remaining life of my Rear Tire 140/80 x 17
JRWooden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:00 AM   #11
murpies
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Thumb

Mine Tourance EXP has now clock 10,000 miles and is still a few thousands to go. If like Wat the Motorrad test fr the German Magazine had said that the New Tourance NEXT is much more longevity the the EXP. I will definitely try the next "NEXT"!!

The Front

The Rear
murpies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:11 AM   #12
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by murpies View Post
Mine Tourance EXP has now clock 10,000 miles and is still a few thousands to go. If like Wat the Motorrad test fr the German Magazine had said that the New Tourance NEXT is much more longevity the the EXP. I will definitely try the next "NEXT"!!

The Front

The Rear
Yep, you boys don't ride like me...I killed the EXP in 3,000 miles...FRONT AND REAR! I would not have done that with the old Tourance which I am running again...I wore the sides off the EXPs until I was riding triangles... Yes, I corner hard and ride shitty hot chip roads in 100 plus degrees at 100 plus mph
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:51 AM   #13
JPBM
n00b

Oddometer: 1
A couple of weeks ago it was time to change rubber on the VStrom, so the motorrad test came quite handy. Not a lot of info on it on the web except which tyre won, but managed to get a printscreen of the final scoresheet, and translated it to english:

Two years ago I chose the Dunlop for a front tyre (already had an EXP in the back) based on the same test and some good feedback by fellow riders. Would probably have chosen the same tyre (thought it was brilliant for my use) but was a little concerned it would wear too quickly in the rear.

When I heard about this year's test and saw the final result, my choice was made: Tourance Next was the choice.

So far (500km) so good, can't really test wet weather performance in Portugal at the moment, but these things just love the twisties, really quick changing direction, and give great confidence leaned over. Also braking performance in the rear seems higher than with the Tourance EXP (my greatest gripe with that tyre, even when new the rear broke loose on tarmac too easily).

BTW, my front Dunlop lasted 27000km (16777miles) and my rear Tourance EXP 30000km (18641miles), even with some heavy (2 up and fully loaded) touring of Spain and Portugal.
JPBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #14
avc8130
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Does anyone know where in the US has Tourance Next in stock?

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #15
(none)
poser

Oddometer: 2,579
I hope they have favorable results. I have put 50,000 tourance miles on my GS. i'm one of the lucky ones that gets 8-10k miles out of a rear and twice that for a front. I've never had a problem with them, always great traction in the dry or wet (well, not mud...). If the Next's go well, they might be the ones that convince me to mix it up.
LC80
JK Rubi
(none) is offline   Reply With Quote