ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
theloop OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
The sit test.

Just sold my 750 shadow ace and am looking for a new bike. After long rides on the shadow my lower back would be sore, my thinking is that I need my legs under me to take the bumps in the roads. I went to the international motorcycle show and sat on many bikes. There was four bikes in the running, with number 1 being the new CB500X, I went back and sat on that bike 5 or 6 times, it just felt Great to me. Number 2 on my sit test was a NT700v, not from the show, but from the dealer, felt good, but not great like the CB500x, plus not to impressed with side loading side cases, I would like something that I could put top loading aluminum panniers on and can load down. Number 3 on my sit test was the 650 v strom, felt about as good as the NT700v, but the fairing seemed like it war three foot out ahead of the bike. And number 4 was the NC700x, it might fell different when once on the move, but sitting on it with my feet on the ground, the natural place to put my feet down while sitting on it was right were the pegs are, It just seemed akward with my feet down, either in front or behind the pegs, or with my legs spread wide apart. Any other standard bikes anyone can suggest to take a look at. At this point I am ready to put a down payment on a CB500x as soon as the dealer will take one since I would want to get one of the first ones to come in so I dont miss out.
theloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloop View Post
Just sold my 750 shadow ace and am looking for a new bike. After long rides on the shadow my lower back would be sore, my thinking is that I need my legs under me to take the bumps in the roads. I went to the international motorcycle show and sat on many bikes. There was four bikes in the running, with number 1 being the new CB500X, I went back and sat on that bike 5 or 6 times, it just felt Great to me. Number 2 on my sit test was a NT700v, not from the show, but from the dealer, felt good, but not great like the CB500x, plus not to impressed with side loading side cases, I would like something that I could put top loading aluminum panniers on and can load down. Number 3 on my sit test was the 650 v strom, felt about as good as the NT700v, but the fairing seemed like it war three foot out ahead of the bike. And number 4 was the NC700x, it might fell different when once on the move, but sitting on it with my feet on the ground, the natural place to put my feet down while sitting on it was right were the pegs are, It just seemed akward with my feet down, either in front or behind the pegs, or with my legs spread wide apart. Any other standard bikes anyone can suggest to take a look at. At this point I am ready to put a down payment on a CB500x as soon as the dealer will take one since I would want to get one of the first ones to come in so I dont miss out.
If your objective is to get a motorcycle that will be more comfortable for longer rides, with your feet under you, then you should review your take on where foot pegs are located and their distance seat to pegs. One thing I noticed about the CB500X is that it has the footpegs located exactly where its siblings (CB500R and CB500F) have, namely they are up, and back, more like a sport bike. This is not what you want for longer rides as your body will be in a mixed position, works for some people, not all (sport pegs with taller touring handlebars).

You may reconsider those bikes where the footpegs are on your way when you are standing with your feet on the ground. When you are moving, they will offer the most relaxed experience. Or you will want the CB500X footpegs moved down and under you.

Just a suggestion.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
BobbyLee666
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Take a look at this site http://cycle-ergo.com/. Allows you to compare many different bikes, and will give you a general idea of what might and what might not fit you.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
TeepS
Full Circle Rider

Oddometer: 334
Though many bikes have been judged (excellent) by the show room "sit test"; there is no substitute for test ride, of appropriate length.
No matter what you choose, you will not know it's right for you until that first long ride.
TeepS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
theloop OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
If your objective is to get a motorcycle that will be more comfortable for longer rides, with your feet under you, then you should review your take on where foot pegs are located and their distance seat to pegs. One thing I noticed about the CB500X is that it has the footpegs located exactly where its siblings (CB500R and CB500F) have, namely they are up, and back, more like a sport bike. This is not what you want for longer rides as your body will be in a mixed position, works for some people, not all (sport pegs with taller touring handlebars).

You may reconsider those bikes where the footpegs are on your way when you are standing with your feet on the ground. When you are moving, they will offer the most relaxed experience. Or you will want the CB500X footpegs moved down and under you.

Just a suggestion.
The pegs on the CB500x did not feel up and back to me. Numbers that are shown on cycle-ergo.com for 5'11" 32" inseam

Bike-- seat height-- foward degree lean-- knee angle

CB500x 32.2"-- 0-- 80

NT700v 32.2"-- 11-- 81

NC700x 33.1"-- 5-- 81

650 v-strom 33.1"-- 1-- 82

I checked more of the standard type bikes, The CB1100 was not what I expected, with a seat height of 30.5" but a foward lean of 9, and a knee angle of 73 degree's, but the bonneville T100 looked much better with a seat heigh of 31.3" but a foward lean of 7 degree's, but not a bad knee angle of 80. Funny thing about the picture with a rider on the CB500x on Honda's web site is, everyone the rider has his toes on the pegs, maybe thats why they appear up and back to you.

Sometimes it pretty hard to get a test ride in my parts.
theloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloop View Post
The pegs on the CB500x did not feel up and back to me. Numbers that are shown on cycle-ergo.com for 5'11" 32" inseam

Bike-- seat height-- foward degree lean-- knee angle

CB500x 32.2"-- 0-- 80

NT700v 32.2"-- 11-- 81

NC700x 33.1"-- 5-- 81

650 v-strom 33.1"-- 1-- 82

I checked more of the standard type bikes, The CB1100 was not what I expected, with a seat height of 30.5" but a foward lean of 9, and a knee angle of 73 degree's, but the bonneville T100 looked much better with a seat heigh of 31.3" but a foward lean of 7 degree's, but not a bad knee angle of 80. Funny thing about the picture with a rider on the CB500x on Honda's web site is, everyone the rider has his toes on the pegs, maybe thats why they appear up and back to you.

Sometimes it pretty hard to get a test ride in my parts.
In my view, riding comfort for the legs is a function of the distance seat to peg and the position of the peg with respect to the seat (front, center, back). I'm talking about both. The 500X has the pegs slightly behind and taller (more like sport bikes), while on the other end of the spectrum the T100 is more to the center/front, although both have a bent angle of 80 degrees. The T100 potentially offers, in my opinion, a more relaxed riding position, despite same angle for knee as CB500X.

In the end, pegs and handlebars can be adjusted.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote