User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 04:58 AM   #1
hippiebrian OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,938
Getting a maxi

Okay, I'm looking to get into the maxi scooter thing later this year. I've owned a lot of "standard" bikes, but lately I've picked up a Kymco People 150 and am hooked on the low center of gravity as well as the ease of operation! Now I want one I can tour on.

That being said, which way to go, the Burgman 650, the Silver Wing or the big Kymco (Exciting 500 I think?) The Beemers are nice but, like I said, paying Beemer prices for a Kymco just doesn't seem right to me...I may be wrong though.

I know opinions are like, well, chocolate starfish and everyone will tell me how great their scoot is and how bad the others are, but that will help me make up my mind.

Thanks all!
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:44 AM   #2
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
I just bought a 2007 Swing for $4,000 with 4,100 on the clock.

So far I'm loving it. I'm new to scooter ownership as well, after many years of motorcycle ownership. My scoot came with a tall Givi shield that is very quiet, yet I still easily see over the top edge. I've added a trickle charger wiring harness. It also came with a throttle lock, the one with the lever you flip up and down. It also has a Givi top case installed which appears to be about 40 liters. That combined with the under-seat space which also appears to be about 40 liters and I have roughly the equivalent of two side cases. I'm getting 50 mpg + or - a few. I test rode the C650GT on two different occasions. I just could not justify the price, $11,000, yikes. Also early production models are leaking oil from the rear drive housing, including my dealers demo scoot. I passed on a very nice late model Burgman 650 recently in my area for this reason, no competent dealer service near me. I have a great Honda dealer so when the Silver Wing popped up on Craigslist I jumped on it. I have to say the BMW feels significantly stronger engine wise, but the wing has enough for me, around 50 hp I believe. I've ordered an Airhawk seat cushion, if that does not work I'll pop for a Corbin.

Hope I have helped a little with your maxi decision.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:23 AM   #3
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,969
For some reason, everyone jumps at the Burg 650. Have you actually seen one? Those things are huge, and heavy. Many motorcycles with twice the displacement are smaller and lighter. I really think I would consider the Honda CTX700 automatic above the Burg 650. Smaller, lighter, and more agile, but still with a comfortable riding position. I mean seriously, I was able to handle a 1500cc Goldwing easier than the Burgman 650. The Silverwing is also big, but not that big, and is a lot more agile and easier to handle. I have not ridden or sat on the Kymco, but it looks smaller still. Then there is the Yamaha Majesty 400, and the Piaggio BV350 and 500. I wouldn't buy a BMW because I think they are overpriced, overrated, not as reliable as Japanese bikes, and I just don't care for the BMW image. Most of that is subjective though.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:00 AM   #4
Comanche6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Ah - welcome to the different world of scootering.

Yep - just another opinion, but don't pass on the Suzuki Burgman 400. Too small you say? Well, set up with a big Givi topbox, a Givi Airflow windshield and a few other farkles, it took me on a 3,000 mile, eight state trip last September, and I'll be leaving on a longer trip to Las Vegas next week. Pluses include 60-65 mpg, cruise at an easy 65-70, and very simple mechanical work.

Like many scooter riders, age is making it difficult to swing the leg over a regular bike, yet I am too young to give up riding. You'll have fun pissing off the Harley riders too - they don't expect you to be able to keep up with them.

"Small bike, long rides"
Comanche6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:10 AM   #5
andoulli
CAJUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche6 View Post
Ah - welcome to the different world of scootering.

Yep - just another opinion, but don't pass on the Suzuki Burgman 400. Too small you say? Well, set up with a big Givi topbox, a Givi Airflow windshield and a few other farkles, it took me on a 3,000 mile, eight state trip last September, and I'll be leaving on a longer trip to Las Vegas next week. Pluses include 60-65 mpg, cruise at an easy 65-70, and very simple mechanical work.

Like many scooter riders, age is making it difficult to swing the leg over a regular bike, yet I am too young to give up riding. You'll have fun pissing off the Harley riders too - they don't expect you to be able to keep up with them.
And welcome to you here sir at advrider.com. Very nice first post.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #6
HammerMacGreed
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,443
Recently went down to the Gilroy dealership to test drive a Burgman 650 and a Silverwing. I have a 1984 Honda Goldwing 1200 Aspencade (about 800#s wet) and a 2001 Drifter 1500 (about 700#s wet). Drifter (Kawasakis Indian clone) is a beautiful bike, fun, but extremely limited for use with it's solo saddle, floating fender and (for me) shitty ergonomics. Wanted to trade/sell the Drifter for a maxiscoot.

Test drove the Burgman first. Not as fast as my bikes, but close. Good suspension for touring. If you're used to cruisers or old bikes with old suspension, it's more than adequate (better than my bikes). If you're coming off a sportbike you're gonna be disappointed. Engine lag takes a bit of getting used too (no clutch), no engine braking either. But, that being said, shift mode was fun, auto I can see as being extremely handy in traffic. Damn near no engine vibration, you really can't feel it or hear it above 10mph. Got it up to 80 pretty damn quick. Brakes are better than either of my bikes. Extremely comfortable. Smaller feeling than either of my bikes. Much more nimble compared to a 30yr old Goldwing or an Indian clone...

Silverwing had a lot of engine vibration on acceleration, way to much for my liking. Not as fast. Brakes OK. Lighter feeling, slimmer; I can see it being better for around town. Burgman has it beat on the freeway handsdown. The Burgman feels more Goldwing like with the bigger dash, more storage, more weight. The Silverwing is more like my old '79 Silverwing CX500 Deluxe.

HammerMacGreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,722
All of these different scooters have different riding positions and only you can decide what will work best for you. Most of the maxi scooters have a riding position similar to a cruiser, not like the upright position of your people 150. Personally I prefer an upright position and have done some touring on my Sport city 250. I's big enough to ride pretty much anywhere but could use a little more power for passing or steep hills.

You might want to consider the Kymco DT300 or GT300i. Both should have plenty of power for touring without the weight or price tag of the larger Maxi scooters. On the other hand, if you want a laid back and stretched out riding position and plan on riding mostly on the highway then one of the 400-650cc maxi scooters would be a better choice.

I'd recommend test riding or at least sitting on as many scooters as possible before making a decision.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #8
creighta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
The 400s are hard to beat in either burg or majesty (I love my majesty) but if you already have a small scoot I would go silver wing hands down. I ride my dads any chance I get. The twin has a vibe on hard accel, but it feels like riding a rocket after that first half second lag.

Before dad bought the swing we went yo ride a burg 650. Nicest scooter made, but it was so big and heavy that it lost the scooter appeal IMO.
creighta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #9
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 2,037
400s are the sweet spot for a mainly cruising and highway maxi.

50kg lighter than the 600s, but still do 100mph, but have a big accel advantage over the 250s (once they're rolling) and normally carry more crap than anything as well. Usually they're singles too not twins, so easier for maintenance and tuning.

Pick your favourite colour, then ride.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #10
andoulli
CAJUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by creighta View Post
The 400s are hard to beat in either burg or majesty (I love my majesty) but if you already have a small scoot I would go silver wing hands down. I ride my dads any chance I get. The twin has a vibe on hard accel, but it feels like riding a rocket after that first half second lag.

Before dad bought the swing we went yo ride a burg 650. Nicest scooter made, but it was so big and heavy that it lost the scooter appeal IMO.
Ok that is what I was thinking with my first scooter purchase. I was just trying to decide between a scooter and a maxi. I get that bigger is not always better with scooters, clearly the maxi scooters size and weight are good for their multi function purpose, but also that size and weight detract from what people like about scooters to begin with. The Swing may not be in the middle, but it's closer than a Burgman.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #11
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
I agree with Klav...you'll get many opinions, pro and con, for each maxi because as with other motorcycles, it always comes down to personal preference. I think you should do your research so you have a good feel for the quirks of each machine, its reliability, its performance and its ease of maintenance. Then go ride, or at least test sit, on each and you'll get your answer.

I think all the maxis have good and bad points. I have a Silverwing and I love it, but the ergonomics on it, for me, are not as good as the Burg 650 or Burg 400. I have some misgivings about the reliability of the B650 transmission (do some research here: http://burgmanusa.com/forums/index.php ), but you'll find people here, and there, who assert that there is no problem with the transmission and prefer it because of its additional control modes. Only you can decided whether that is a serious issue, or whether the lesser ergos on the SWing as opposed to the B650 or B400 are important to you, particularly when it's your money you're shelling out.

Good luck and let us know what you've decided.
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #12
toolshed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I really enjoy my Majesty 400. Big enough to hit the interstate (and stay there all day long), but not huge. Still fun on the curvy local roads. Lots of under-seat storage. I notice people say that the maxi's have a cruiser-like riding position, but I don't get it. The floor boards on my Majesty are long enough to have many positions-- from the standard, upright to the almost highway-peg position. My only complaints so far-- the buffeting from the stock windshield and the stock mirrors are not out far enough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by creighta View Post

toolshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #13
hippiebrian OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,938
Thanks everyone. Lot's to think about. How would the 400 be with a 250 lb. dude with a week's worth of stuff in the storage compartment and a top box? If 75-80 is doable with a little room left, then that just might be the fit...
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:16 PM   #14
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiebrian View Post
Thanks everyone. Lot's to think about. How would the 400 be with a 250 lb. dude with a week's worth of stuff in the storage compartment and a top box? If 75-80 is doable with a little room left, then that just might be the fit...

A 400 would do that just fine. I'm 225 and have put 25,000 miles on a Vino 125, most of it at full throttle. The 125 has a load capacity of about 350 pounds. But if you are seriously interested in the Burg 650, I wouldn't buy something else without checking it out. It was to big for me because I have some orthopedic issues, which is why I gave up the Goldwing. Afraid I was going to drop it. Had the same concerns about the Burgman. I have no idea whether the trans is a good thing or a bad thing, the CVTs on other scooters require a lot of maintenance. The biggest issue on the maxi scoots seems to be doing the valves. Most of the manufacturers made them very difficult to get to.

From the Burgman site, it looks like the transmission problem may be due to a spline failure like happens on many shaft drive bikes if the splines are not regularly lubricated. I did the splines on my Goldwing and my shaft drive cruiser with Guard Dog 570 moly paste. 80,000 miles on the cruiser with no spline damage.
1980 Puch moped

JerryH screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 11:24 PM
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #15
Starbuck21
Manly scooterist!

Oddometer: 150
All good advice above! You need to decide what is right for YOU. Sit on the prospective candidates and see if you are comfortable! This is FOREMOST, if the scoot has all the power and features but is uncomfortable for you...well you get the idea. I have a Silver Wing that I love, I am 6'0" and about 240 lbs and it works fine however if I was a couple of inches taller it would NOT be fine... My SWing has some vibration from 30-50 but it is not bad by any stretch. I have also taken my Wing on two tours; one of 1700 miles and one almost 1300 miles and it did awesome! 7100 miles and it was purchased in May of last year.

Anyway, good luck with your search!
1974 CT90

Starbuck21 is offline   Reply With Quote