Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #16
hyena
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStrom View Post
The ADVdesigns pump looks a lot like the slime pump. I have been using a gutted slime pump for a few years now with no problems. Something like $10 at Walmart...
+1 on the Slime pump. I didn't gut mine - left in in the original pouch. I tested it before packing it away. I've used it once for real when I had a flat. I paid $10 at O'Reilly's on sale. Pack size is 6X6X2.25. I see no reason to pay 5 to 12 times more.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #17
Bigdog54 OP
MX X-Over Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyena View Post
+1 on the Slime pump. I didn't gut mine - left in in the original pouch. I tested it before packing it away. I've used it once for real when I had a flat. I paid $10 at O'Reilly's on sale. Pack size is 6X6X2.25. I see no reason to pay 5 to 12 times more.

You guys saying that if you remove the plastic "shell" on one of those slime pumps it essentially is the same at the Adventure Designs Pump?
Old 04-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #18
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,587
I got a Slime pump at a dealer over in Scottsdale a couple of weeks ago when my old pump finally died. The Slime works. $100+ at a dealer. And it looks like I built it in my garage after maybe too many beers. The other one is maybe nicer. They are all made in China and will get shook apart on the bike eventually.
I also carry CO2, just in case. Yes, I've had to hand pump up a tire. Thankfully the bead had not broken. I've managed to kill my EZAir gauge as well just by carrying it around.
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #19
LoneStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog54 View Post
You guys saying that if you remove the plastic "shell" on one of those slime pumps it essentially is the same at the Adventure Designs Pump?
Yep. It looks like they added a bit of a shield around the gear drive and put the motor in shrink wrap. But other than that it looks like the same unit.

This is mine outside of the plastic shell. I added a loop of para cord and hang it from a peg, turn signal, whatever. It will get hot after airing up a few bikes.

LoneStrom screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 04:55 PM
LoneStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #20
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
... The Slime works. $100+ at a dealer. ...

This thread reminded me that I have had one on my Amazon wishlist. Ordered it today for $30, and it includes a bunch of electrical accessories that I can also find use for.
http://www.amazon.com/Slime-40001-Mo...otorcycle+pump
lmychajluk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #21
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwestly View Post
all i can say is i've had my cyclepump with me for years. It always works when (rarely) needed and i don't have to worry about it. I know it is bigger than some others on the market, but peace of mind is a wonderful thing...
+1
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #22
mr.slowpokey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
cycle pump

I have the cycle pump. its always in the tail box whenever I'm out riding. No worries about CO2 or low quality parts to break. You get what you pay for (usually) It always works from fixing flats to airing back up for hwy riding.
mr.slowpokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #23
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,384
I like Cyclepump. I'll be on my fourth!

(1) Stolen with bike

(2) Crashed in Baja, left under seat by mistake

(3) Jesse right pannier fell off, someone took it before I got turned around

(4) Yet to get one but I will, that's how much I like it.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #24
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog54 View Post

Yes.

There are a lot of pumps out there that people love to spend money on, but I still haven't seen one worth the price. Either get a Harbor Freight and break all the plastic off, or get the Motopumps model (nearly the same thing, with a bag and some other stuff). Anything more is just soothing your Touratech spending jones.

Of course, I see how many people have dropped $120 on a Cyclepumps pump...wait, $120?!?!?!? Jeebus Crispies on a cracker! Anyway, I see all the followers here, so go ahead, join right in with them.

Or just do what I said in the first paragraph.
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!

SR1 screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 11:46 PM
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:18 AM   #25
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
I have hauled one around in my pannier for three years and used it exactly one time. It worked just fine but I can't really personally vouch for the longterm life of the unit.

That being said, Motopumps are sold by a fellow inmate on this vendor thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ight=motopumps

He also has his own website:

http://motopumps.com/
I've been using a Motopump for a number of years now with no issues. Actually prefer it to my Cyclepump because it clamps down better on the valve stem. Motopump is big on Dynaplugs now but Rob will supply the tried and true fail-safe sticky strings if asked.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:33 AM   #26
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,293
I love me some sticky string!
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #27
Gregg Wannabe
Just killing time

Oddometer: 2,301
I have been using the same pump now for 10 years of riding, it has bounced all over Baja. Before that it was in used for pumping up kid's rafts and balls when on vacation. It is at least 25 years old. I cut down the hose to about 12" and removed the plastic case. It was just a cheap unit from the sporting goods store.

When I am REALLY offroad (and alone) I carry a very tiny hand pump (about the size of a cigar) just in case.

My guess is that all the pumps are made in the same factory in China.
Gregg Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #28
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,547
This came across my radar a couple of days ago, and was in the garage two days later. Pumps fast. Wicked cheap. Comes in a cool little bag; the unit weighs next to nothing, and packs up tidy. Not badly built. A friend got one and promptly blew it up, but he's a destructive testing sort of guy, and was testing at high pressure.

I filled three bike tires from their winter rest with minimal effort. If you're in the normal range of motorcycle tires, that is to say between 5 and 40 psi, you may like it.

NO batteries.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Min.../230559024078?
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:38 PM   #29
TUCKERS
the famous james

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1 View Post
Yes.

There are a lot of pumps out there that people love to spend money on, but I still haven't seen one worth the price. Either get a Harbor Freight and break all the plastic off, or get the Motopumps model (nearly the same thing, with a bag and some other stuff). Anything more is just soothing your Touratech spending jones.

Of course, I see how many people have dropped $120 on a Cyclepumps pump...wait, $120?!?!?!? Jeebus Crispies on a cracker! Anyway, I see all the followers here, so go ahead, join right in with them.

Or just do what I said in the first paragraph.
The casing on the Cyclepump makes it more durable than an exposed pump. We all know it's just a pump in a casing, that's what we are paying for. You COULD strip down a $10 pump and make your own casing, or say "fuck it" and buy a Cyclepump. I'm a thrifty person, but sometimes you just have to say "fuck it". I have a bigger better $10 pump in my car, I have a stripper pump in my Jeep...but the Cyclepump just works better for me on the bike. I can put it in the bottom of a pannier with all my stuff on top and it never gets hurt. It's pretty small, other than a stripped pump I haven't seen one as small. If there is one smaller or same size let us know and I'll try that one as I need a replacement pump for my lost Cyclepump. I'd prefer a durable same sized or smaller pump for less money.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #30
TUCKERS
the famous james

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaDakota View Post
The cycle pump is good, but too big and heavy for me; I ended up putting it in the auto.
I now carry a Stop-n-Go on bike trips.
The Stop-n Go seems like a small durable pump. I'll test ride it and let you know.