Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 11:10 PM   #31
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,617
Further research on Amazon looking at dozens of pumps, the Cyclepump is the smallest most powerful.

Some of the smaller pumps take over 7 minutes to inflate a Moto tire, Cyclepump claims 2 minutes.

Cyclepump is the smallest I have found at 2X4X6, weighing 36oz.

Most of the pumps weigh 32oz or so.

I am not too concerned with weight, but volume is of paramount importance in my packing.

Can anyone point us to a pump @ 2X4X6, two pounds or so, that inflates a moto tire in two minutes?
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:45 PM   #32
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,199
I've got a couple Cyclepumps and a couple Motopumps. The latter are smaller and pump the tire up just as quickly. The thing I don't like about the Cyclepump is having to mess around with the self-locking brass air chucks that connect the gauge and the valve stem because they leak air really easily if you don't hold them just right. Cyclepump ought to just use the classic air valve.

twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:56 PM   #33
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,847
I've owned both of these http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motor...irman-sparrow/ and just recently bought this one from Bikergear in South Africa.

Slime and Airman worked OK, if not a bit slow, and are very lightweight. Whilst they fill the tyres with air OK, they don't fill me with confidence ... I remember reading somewhere they have some plastic internal bits (I'm not saying they do... just that I read it) which wears out over time.

Whilst I haven't tried it yet, judging by the weight and construction of it, the Bikergear pump seems to be everything their web blurb says.

I spend too much time hundreds of kms from any town and out of phone range to be second guessing whether my pump will do the job when needed most. That's why I've shelved the other two.
farcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:33 AM   #34
SR1
Back in S. Korea

Oddometer: 4,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
The casing on the Cyclepump makes it more durable than an exposed pump. We all know it's just a pump in a casing, that's what we are paying for. You COULD strip down a $10 pump and make your own casing, or say "fuck it" and buy a Cyclepump. I'm a thrifty person, but sometimes you just have to say "fuck it". I have a bigger better $10 pump in my car, I have a stripper pump in my Jeep...but the Cyclepump just works better for me on the bike. I can put it in the bottom of a pannier with all my stuff on top and it never gets hurt. It's pretty small, other than a stripped pump I haven't seen one as small. If there is one smaller or same size let us know and I'll try that one as I need a replacement pump for my lost Cyclepump. I'd prefer a durable same sized or smaller pump for less money.

At a cost difference of what, about 300% that is a whole lotta "fuck it" foor a damned pump. My Motopump never gets hurt either, and I squeeze it into all sorts of tight places. I had a Harbor Freight "stripper pump" before and never had an issue with it, either.

I think one of the things that I dislike so much about the Cyclepump is the price and the hype. $120? Really? REALLY? Maybe if I own every other thing on earth that I lust for, sure, I'll go in for a $120 pump, but I was still planning on getting the gold-and-1000 year old papyrus encrusted toilet paper, and the Waterford Crystal dog dish. Maybe after those purchases I'll go for a GOD DAMNED $120 FUCKING TIRE PUMP.

As far as time, I have never once thought "jeezuz when is this thing going to finish pumping my tire up?" It's plenty fast. I reckon if I were running from certain death, or imprisonment, the difference may be worth $120, but I'm not.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #35
Bigdog54 OP
MX X-Over Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1 View Post
Yes.

There are a lot of pumps out there that people love to spend money on, but I still haven't seen one worth the price. Either get a Harbor Freight and break all the plastic off, or get the Motopumps model (nearly the same thing, with a bag and some other stuff). Anything more is just soothing your Touratech spending jones.

Of course, I see how many people have dropped $120 on a Cyclepumps pump...wait, $120?!?!?!? Jeebus Crispies on a cracker! Anyway, I see all the followers here, so go ahead, join right in with them.

Or just do what I said in the first paragraph.
LOL, I hear ya. Not a follower. I just spent $2 on an O-ring to serve as my Cruise control instead of $120 on a Kaobo. I am not ashamed to go a different route.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #36
Bigdog54 OP
MX X-Over Adventurer

Quote:

I am not too concerned with weight, but volume is of paramount importance in my packing.

Can anyone point us to a pump @ 2X4X6, two pounds or so, that inflates a moto tire in two minutes?
I agree with packing size being important and weight (2 oz difference) being somewhat a mute point; however, I could care less if the tire takes 2 minutes or 5 mintues to pump up. I'm not in a race.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #37
Bigdog54 OP
MX X-Over Adventurer

[QUOTE=farcall;21150608]I've owned both of these http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motor...irman-sparrow/ and just recently bought this one from Bikergear in South Africa.

QUOTE]

Thats a bad ass locking pump. How much does that thing cost. Looks quite sturdy.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #38
Twempie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
I chucked the chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I've got a couple Cyclepumps and a couple Motopumps. The latter are smaller and pump the tire up just as quickly. The thing I don't like about the Cyclepump is having to mess around with the self-locking brass air chucks that connect the gauge and the valve stem because they leak air really easily if you don't hold them just right. Cyclepump ought to just use the classic air valve.

I contacted the manufacturer about the same problem. They sent me a "classic" chuck and hardware to attach it to the hose, free of charge. I'm happy I said "fuck it" all those years ago, no hype, no Kool-Aid, I think the CP is quality kit. I've tried breaking down cheap pumps, more than once, fuck that…
Twempie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #39
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog54 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by farcall View Post
I've owned both of these http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motor...irman-sparrow/ and just recently bought this one from Bikergear in South Africa.
Thats a bad ass locking pump. How much does that thing cost. Looks quite sturdy.
Sturdy for sure. AUD & USD are pretty close to parity these days. I paid $75 delivered.
farcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #40
abruzzi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog54 View Post

Looks quite nice. The page says 460 rand plus shipping. That comes to about $51 plus shipping, but the R460 includes VAT, which usually doesn't apply to foreign sales (wether they take the time to not charge you, I don't know.)

I'll also throw in that I use the smallest slime pump. It usually lasts me about two years, but the dust and sand in the desert down here is hard on stuff like that, and I do my best to abuse the pump.

Geof
Old 04-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #41
TUCKERS
the famous james

The 'time' to pump up a tire is not the reason to be wondering about, it's just how HOT the pump gets after 5 minutes. The Cyclepump is too hot to handle after two minutes.
Right now the Motopump sounds like a reasonable replacement. Which vendor are you using to buy from?
Old 04-10-2013, 11:23 PM   #42
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
The 'time' to pump up a tire is not the reason to be wondering about, it's just how HOT the pump gets after 5 minutes. The Cyclepump is too hot to handle after two minutes.
Right now the Motopump sounds like a reasonable replacement. Which vendor are you using to buy from?
I buy directly from Rob the owner, contact info here. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=775804

As mentioned above, if you want sticky strings he will add a pack with the insert tool for about $5 more.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:28 PM   #43
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twempie View Post
I contacted the manufacturer about the same problem. They sent me a "classic" chuck and hardware to attach it to the hose, free of charge. I'm happy I said "fuck it" all those years ago, no hype, no Kool-Aid, I think the CP is quality kit. I've tried breaking down cheap pumps, more than once, fuck that…

Thanks for that info. Regarding the mfg, do you mean BestRest?
Old 04-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #44
Twempie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Yes, BestRest

Quote:
Thanks for that info. Regarding the mfg, do you mean BestRest?
They sent me a replacement chuck several years ago YMMV.

Not to beat a dead horse or anything, but the CP is proudly made in the USA, maybe that's why it costs more.
Twempie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #45
TUCKERS
the famous james

Quote:
I buy directly from Rob the owner, contact info here. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=775804

As mentioned above, if you want sticky strings he will add a pack with the insert tool for about $5 more.

Whoops...it's a stripper. Wouldn't last long with me, I need a robust box.