Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #46
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,260
I own both because I have one kit for tubed tires and one for tubeless. The cycle pump throws more air and the mechanics are a bit more protected because it's inside a box, also its slightly easier to operate. The ADVdesigns pump is smaller, seems lighter and comes in a nice bag that you can add things too. So I prefer the kit from ADV but I also prefer the pump from Cycle. You decide which of the above characteristics is important to you. They both work. Dave
Old 04-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #47
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
Whoops...it's a stripper. Wouldn't last long with me, I need a robust box.
He sells other models as well, check out his website. That said, mine's lasted for years, I don't see how it can break as long as you don't ride off with it still attached to the bike.
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #48
KimR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
I've had the ADVdesigns style of pump for 4 or 5 years. I actually bought it from some guy who was making them. He was selling them over on the StromTrooper forum, I believe. Works great and is a lot easier than firing up my shop compressor and getting the hose out.
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #49
BigToad
The Bone Destroyer

Oddometer: 193
Just go to any big discount store and buy a small one that's in a plastic box. Then cut off all the useless housing crap and get rid of the box. I bought one at a flea market for $6 when I was done it looked like post #19 and lasted for over 10 years.

Finally one year the hose started leaking so I bought a fancy adv one at a Rally. It came in a beautiful stainless box with tiny fold out legs and now i miss my tiny $6 one as it does the exact same thing yet takes up 1/2 the space and weighs less(and doesn't cost $100). I will likely take the fancy one apart one day and get rid of the box and anything else you don't need.
BigToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #50
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,308
I have a stripped version I concocted in my car, but on the bike I thought it may get full of grit and let me down.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

DMV paperwork/room rental/motorbike/vehicle buying/Travelers help
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #51
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
I have a stripped version I concocted in my car, but on the bike I thought it may get full of grit and let me down.
The zippered storage pouch prevents that.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #52
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
Ok... I've got the Cycle pump, Slime pump and a CO2 setup with enough cartridges for a bike gang.

Usually I carry 'a' pump and the CO2 system as a backup.

Yea... the Cycle pump stock chuck doesn't really like some stems... I'll have to get the other style. No failures of either yet.

WindSailor screwed with this post 04-13-2013 at 08:34 PM
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #53
TUCKERS
the famous james

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
The zippered storage pouch prevents that.

'Cept when I get the pump out to use it on the Trans Lab.

Do you hang it from the handlebars to use it? I just don't think a stripped pump would hold up to the use I may put it through.

Are they powerful? How long to inflate a Moto tire from flat?

Old 04-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #54
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
'Cept when I get the pump out to use it on the Trans Lab.

Do you hang it from the handlebars to use it? I just don't think a stripped pump would hold up to the use I may put it through.

Are they powerful? How long to inflate a Moto tire from flat?
I usually just hold the pump as I'm topping up the pressure and it doesn't take long, but you could easily hang it somewhere on the bike. Don't remember how long it took to pump from flat but wasn't unreasonably long otherwise I would probably recall it. Might be worthwhile PMing Rob from Motopump, he'd probably know.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #55
TUCKERS
the famous james

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I usually just hold the pump as I'm topping up the pressure and it doesn't take long, but you could easily hang it somewhere on the bike. Don't remember how long it took to pump from flat but wasn't unreasonably long otherwise I would probably recall it. Might be worthwhile PMing Rob from Motopump, he'd probably know.

Doesn't get too hot to handle then? You can't handle the Cyclepump after a couple of minutes or so, it heats up.

Thanks Man.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:26 AM   #56
twinrider
pass the catnip

No, I hold it on the white wrap near the switch and it never gets too hot. One advantage of not being wrapped in an aluminum case I guess.

The vendor's first post has some good info.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...16&postcount=1
Old 04-14-2013, 03:35 AM   #57
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,268
I wrap the cord around one of the turn signal stalks or whatever else is around. It's not that hard. Why do you make it sound that hard to have a pump solution?

Stop trying to justify your choice in a $120 JEZUS THERE IT IS AGAIN< $120 fOR A DogDAMNED PUMP?>! pump and just buy it. You want it, buy it. I am not sure if any of your justifications are enough to justify it. "'cause I want it'" is enough.

(BTW, I have one of those $350 Black Dog skidplates. I nearly popped a hemorrhoid when I bought that thing. So...I get ya. Sometimes, you get exactly what you want.)

SR1 screwed with this post 04-14-2013 at 03:40 AM
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #58
TUCKERS
the famous james

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1 View Post
I wrap the cord around one of the turn signal stalks or whatever else is around. It's not that hard. Why do you make it sound that hard to have a pump solution?

Stop trying to justify your choice in a $120 JEZUS THERE IT IS AGAIN< $120 fOR A DogDAMNED PUMP?>! pump and just buy it. You want it, buy it. I am not sure if any of your justifications are enough to justify it. "'cause I want it'" is enough.

(BTW, I have one of those $350 Black Dog skidplates. I nearly popped a hemorrhoid when I bought that thing. So...I get ya. Sometimes, you get exactly what you want.)

They are exactly $100 even at Aerostitch. I've had three so yes I am a believer. Just doing internet research for a viable replacement as I was parted from my third pump with a pannier loss on the freeway! They may be bad luck for me....First bike was stolen with Cpump under seat, second bike was total loss and I left Cpump under seat, third Cpump was in pannier that took a freeway flyer and someone scooped it up before I got back to it! The big factor in my buy is 'power and size' the Cpump seems to offer them both but I am shopping for a less $ pump with same size and power. That's what this thread is all about. Plus it's something to do in the evening when it's dark as I can't see anymore to ride in the dark!

Old 04-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #59
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Further research on Amazon looking at dozens of pumps, the Cyclepump is the smallest most powerful.

Some of the smaller pumps take over 7 minutes to inflate a Moto tire, Cyclepump claims 2 minutes.

Cyclepump is the smallest I have found at 2X4X6, weighing 36oz.

Most of the pumps weigh 32oz or so.

I am not too concerned with weight, but volume is of paramount importance in my packing.

Can anyone point us to a pump @ 2X4X6, two pounds or so, that inflates a moto tire in two minutes?
The cyclepump is far from the smallest or lightest.

and it doesn't fill a tire in 2 minutes, I tested half a dozen pumps a while ago. ALL of them used the SAME EXACT Campell Hausfeld pumps, some were slightly larger than the others but the pump itself was the same unit, same design, they make them in a few different sizes, that's why one takes 2 minutes to fill while another takes 5 minutes to fill.

Slight differences in internal cylinder size.

Oh, I repaired a half a dozen cyclepumps over the years. 3 of them were busted switches and the rest were busted solder joints internally.

I replaced the slide switch with a simple tiny rectangular rocker switch. Had to file the hole a little but it was a nice snug fit and made it easier to slide back into the case.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #60
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,566
everythig about that stop n go pump looks just like a small slime pump, i cant imagine its a different pump
2 SPOT is online now   Reply With Quote