Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #46
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,511
1972 honda cb350

basket case, free (AWWWESOMMMMEEE !!!)

found, original manual, title, oil?, and a small angry yellow jacket in the light bucket.

swapped for stuff later, worth several burgers and a set of tires
Old 04-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #47
jhonny ro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
my rules about retail transactions

I only proceed with a bike conversation on phone or via email if it seems like the other party knows what they are doing and they seem to be in the right place. And only on the buy side.

I like happy scenes and actively enjoy talking with people, but not dealing with their confusion or weird situations. Getting a few hundred $ of a bargain is not worth slugging through a season's worth of potential transactions. Life is short and the right bike is only one more click away.

-I see the GS500e you posted on Craigslist has a new chrome muffler in the first picture. Is it a slip on or a full exhaust? Is that a Yoshimura badge?
-Huh?
-The exhaust.
-Exhaust?
-Yes the exhaust pipe and muffler. The shiny thing on the right side of the bike.
-I don't know. I bought the bike to ride it last autumn and now I am getting divorced so I am selling it. You can come look at it.
-OK thanks, I will call again if I am interested.

I never sell bikes myself. Local Yamaha dealer are really great people, and sell bikes on consignment. I drop off and watch with amusement as they talk to the retail public for me, which they enjoy doing. They are in the right business, based on their personalities and hobbies. They get good money for clean used bikes.
jhonny ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #48
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 3,340
It's happening now... There's a "garage kept" 1971 BMW R75/5 listed on the local Craigslist for $6800. I know that's way too much, I've seen minty fresh ones listed for $5500 here on the island, but I'm curious, so I give the guy a call. Turns out the bike is owned by the friend of the guy whose garage it's in, and he's not happy that the friend put his phone number in the ad. He tells me the bike has been sitting for about 5 years, the mufflers rusted out and it has no battery or current registration. I ask if I can come and look at it when I'm in the area. He really doesn't want to, but says to call the owner and get the details from him beforehand. Two weeks later and 4-5 calls with messages left on the answering machine, still no response...
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #49
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seppo View Post
Ok, so iīm in the market for a bike. a cheap bike, kind of a daily rider.
i found a Ducati 900SS on the net, called the seller and asked him about it. "good condition, just some scratches on the rigth side, well serviced". no problem, i saw this scratches on the pics he sent me.
a one hour drive later, i was standing in his garage next to the bike. first thing, it was dusty. second, flat battery. okay, that can happen, he tried to start it the day before, but the battery was flat and he had no time to get a new one.
i took a flashlight and started to look at the bike. the paint was bad, even in the bad light of his garage, the scratches he mentioned were deep and poorly painted. also the paint on the engine was flaking. it didnīt look good.
about a minute after i started to inspect the bike, i came across a part of the left side fairing, next to the built in indicator, that was clearly damaged and badly repaired and painted. i asked him about it...no, he has never seen this. come on. seriously? he owns this bike for almost 20 years and he has not seen this mess??? the colour doesnīt even match!
okay. iīm not looking for an award winning showbike. it needs to run and look reasonable good.
so, what about the service? he has a friend, he said. this good friend owns a tire shop and works on ducatis. okay...i asked him about a few important things about the service, when have the belts been changed, what about valve adjustment? he doesnīt know. he brought the bike to his friend once a year, picked it up later and paid. thats it. no reciepts, nothing.

at first i was pissed. but now, i think its funny. i wonder if heīs ever gonna sell this bike. if it is still on the net in a week or two, iīm gonna call him and make him an offer. maybe half the price heīs wanting...

so, have you guys had similar experiances when looking at bikes? would be great to hear some fun stories here!
Cheap Bike,daily rider....

900SS? A Ducati of that vintage is going to cost you money regardless,a Suzuki/Honda/Kawasaki/Yamaha is a daily rider,an older Ducati is going to become a labor of love.

If you want cheap with full service records and matching paint and cherry bodywork you gotta look around a whole bunch.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #50
Foot dragger
singletracker

I buy basket cases regular for my business,half bikes,blown up bikes,unused for years and years bikes. Probably 50 or 70 in the last 4 years,maybe more.

The bigger/longer/more detailed the story is about how the bike is a runner/will run/has run/will find the pink tomorrow,engine is rebuilt,the more sure a bet that it is blown to smithereens inside with near 0 useable engine parts. Its gotten pretty easy to spot the desperate ones who are grasping at any straw to get as much money as they can out of a bike they probably found on the roadside.

1 guy was crying while his brother held him tight,he was so broke up about selling his 200.00 XL350,bike is roached.

97 yz250........"it just lost spark,probably the plug cap"
Cases,wrecked,cylinder-wrecked. Stator beat in place with american screws hammered in,crank destroyed, bearings went through top end.
Yet they put a new piston on top of all this thinking that will fix it,obviously never ran with new piston as a big end bearing got sucked through the bore instantly.I didnt pay much for it.

So I guess Im saying,Buyer Beware. Used is used and anything can happen with no guarantees.

Having said that,the bikes Ive bought used to ride myself have almost all worked out great,lucky I guess.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #51
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bamboo View Post
It's happening now... There's a "garage kept" 1971 BMW R75/5 listed on the local Craigslist for $6800. I know that's way too much, I've seen minty fresh ones listed for $5500 here on the island, but I'm curious, so I give the guy a call. Turns out the bike is owned by the friend of the guy whose garage it's in, and he's not happy that the friend put his phone number in the ad. He tells me the bike has been sitting for about 5 years, the mufflers rusted out and it has no battery or current registration. I ask if I can come and look at it when I'm in the area. He really doesn't want to, but says to call the owner and get the details from him beforehand. Two weeks later and 4-5 calls with messages left on the answering machine, still no response...
Airhead owners are dreaming big these days,all the mawkish slobbering and worshipping these bikes get online has made people think they have a goldmine.

Usually one long ride after riding a new bike is enough to cure airhead want.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #52
rodznokkin
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Mercedes buyers

Well, this isn't about a motorcycle sale but the same idiocy applies.
I had a pristine Mercedes to sell. First buyer comes out and tells me he is going to buy it. He even says that he has a check in his pocket for $10,000. I tell him that if he will give me a $100 deposit, I'll write a receipt with the balance and give him a week to make his financial arrangements and pick it up.
He declines. So I say, just give me a $50 deposit. He declines again. But he insists that he still wants the car and is definitely going to buy it. I tell him I'll take a $20 deposit and he still declines. I finally get it down to a $5 deposit and he still declines. I tell him to get his *** off my property and stop wasting my time!
Next buyer comes along, takes the test drive and she is definitely going to buy it. She comes back a week later and again says she is going to buy it. She places her hand on the fender, looks to the sky and shouts, "I claim this Mercedes in the name of Jesus"! She left again and that was the last I saw of her. I guess Jesus just wasn't listening.
rodznokkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #53
aftCG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Great thread.

I find that I can get pretty good deals on craigslist. I scan ads daily, sometimes a few times/day. The best deals are usually the very short ads.

My most recent purchase was a second GS500 for my sons to ride. Bike is an '00 with 10k miles. It had one non running knock down (asshole neighbor from the sellers story). The guy was straight up about every flaw and pointed out everything he knew. It hadn't run in 3 years. It had a few modifications which can be undone, unlike the last GS500 we got which was literally show room perfect.

Asking price was $700. I don't use flaws as a method to talk them down. I poke at the bike from all angles, touch and examine things they haven't disclosed and see if they spark up with a story. After I'm done looking I either thank them for their time or make an offer. Nothing worth getting panties in a wad over. If they balk I usually tell them I understand, but math is math and the deal has to work for me. I'll leave it a standing offer. They can either get beat up by others and find out I'm right, or they can sell it to someone who didn't consider what it would take to sort the bike out.

To run the bike needed tires, a battery and a good fuel system cleaning (I've yet to find a bike that wouldn't benefit from that).
Seat is fine, chain is fine, all lights and horn work, tank has one ding in it.

I think I probably could have shanked the guy for $500 but in reality he had taken good care of the bike, was straight up and was sad to see it go.

In the end I told him it was worth what he was asking (his facial expression told me he'd already been beat up by others). I came the next day with a trailer. With the updates done the bike would fetch $1500 in sunny weather and I'm in it $900.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #54
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I buy basket cases regular for my business,half bikes,blown up bikes,unused for years and years bikes. Probably 50 or 70 in the last 4 years,maybe more.

The bigger/longer/more detailed the story is about how the bike is a runner/will run/has run/will find the pink tomorrow,engine is rebuilt,the more sure a bet that it is blown to smithereens inside with near 0 useable engine parts. Its gotten pretty easy to spot the desperate ones who are grasping at any straw to get as much money as they can out of a bike they probably found on the roadside.

1 guy was crying while his brother held him tight,he was so broke up about selling his 200.00 XL350,bike is roached.

97 yz250........"it just lost spark,probably the plug cap"
Cases,wrecked,cylinder-wrecked. Stator beat in place with american screws hammered in,crank destroyed, bearings went through top end.
Yet they put a new piston on top of all this thinking that will fix it,obviously never ran with new piston as a big end bearing got sucked through the bore instantly.I didnt pay much for it.

So I guess Im saying,Buyer Beware. Used is used and anything can happen with no guarantees.

Having said that,the bikes Ive bought used to ride myself have almost all worked out great,lucky I guess.
American screws hammered in?

That's worse than my worst, I brazed on a magneto when the threads at the end of the crank snapped off.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #55
filmfan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Quote:
...She places her hand on the fender, looks to the sky and shouts, "I claim this Mercedes in the name of Jesus"
Was her name Janis?
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:24 PM   #56
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,288
Atchully, it were a Porsche 356...

...contrary to urban legend.

--Bill
Old 04-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #57
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,506
Damn, I think I need to sell my cb360 just so someone can post about it later.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:59 AM   #58
Seppo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Cheap Bike,daily rider....

900SS? A Ducati of that vintage is going to cost you money regardless,a Suzuki/Honda/Kawasaki/Yamaha is a daily rider,an older Ducati is going to become a labor of love.

If you want cheap with full service records and matching paint and cherry bodywork you gotta look around a whole bunch.
i know its not the perfect bike for that purpose. but by daily rider i didnīt mean i would commute on it every day (i work on our family farm, my commute is 16 stairs down to first floor). i want a bike to go to the bars, grocery shopping, a short spin after work and so on. the old 900ss have a good reputaion, the engine is reliable and i can do the maintenace by self. and iīm not looking at a showroom bike, but the bike i was looking at had some issues and the seller couldnīt tell me where they came from. how can you not see a badly repaired plastics on a bike you owned for almost 20 years?
and the scratches he mentioned in the ad. thats a picture from the ad

you can see the scratches. he told me, his father did that. with a wheelbarrow. how is that possible?

Seppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:25 AM   #59
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seppo View Post
i know its not the perfect bike for that purpose. but by daily rider i didnīt mean i would commute on it every day (i work on our family farm, my commute is 16 stairs down to first floor). i want a bike to go to the bars, grocery shopping, a short spin after work and so on. the old 900ss have a good reputaion, the engine is reliable and i can do the maintenace by self. and iīm not looking at a showroom bike, but the bike i was looking at had some issues and the seller couldnīt tell me where they came from. how can you not see a badly repaired plastics on a bike you owned for almost 20 years?
and the scratches he mentioned in the ad. thats a picture from the ad

you can see the scratches. he told me, his father did that. with a wheelbarrow. how is that possible?
So by "dailey rider" you did not mean a bke you would ride everyday???? Put the bong down and slowly back away.........you should be happy that this is not JM or a hardy STFU would be in order....
Old 04-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #60
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 3,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bamboo View Post
Finally got a call back from the guy. Sounds young, repeats the ad to me "Collectors bike, a true classic, 1st owner was the service mechanic for bmw seattle, second owner a collector...a rare gem

Research shows this bike is the stamp/vin of the very last of the 1969 chassis, the dividing line between retro and modern BMW's. the last retro BMW!

when i call for parts, they say "you have one of those" so the price is pretty firm. it would sell for $10,000 anywhere but here. (supposedly... per the guy who sold it to me)" As it turns out, he doesn't know the mileage, says it's been "bored out" and "runs better without the mufflers"... and he finally got around to posting some photos. Anybody notice that the rear shocks are mounted upside down???:

Big Bamboo screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 01:17 PM
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote