Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #16
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,546
There is a video from some TV show of a stunt guy "lay ing it down" to slide under a tractor trailer. It was pretty sweet. I can't find it.

He even talked about how much of a concerted effort it is to pull off. Not that easy.

Had to "lay er down"
Old 04-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #17
the Pheasant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Just the once

About 30 years ago on an MZ TS125. The drum front brake and Teflon-coated Pneumant tyre made the bike a bit of a menace, although the ovality of the front drum acted as a kind of primitive anti-lock. In any case, I was going along a street in Chelsea in the rain in a bit of a daydream when the car in front pulled an emergency stop. Only way for me to avoid collision was to stand on the back brake, which locked the wheel and, given that the back tyre was as slippery as the front. dumped the bike on its side. Non-folding footpegs dug in and ensured that it and I stopped short of the car.
I call that a lay down. IIRC I bought a pair of Pirelli tyres the next week.
the Pheasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #18
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
I know some gal with a K1100RS that intentionally "laid 'er down."

duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #19
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,445
When I was 12, the throttle stuck on my minibike, and I was heading for a building, so I had to lay er down. Not too gracefully, as I recall.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #20
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
No. You generally only do that (Lay 'er Down) when you don't have the skills to ride it out and need an excuse to not really embarrass yourself explaining to someone else why you crashed.

Really.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:46 AM   #21
Islesfan91
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Pheasant View Post
About 30 years ago on an MZ TS125. The drum front brake and Teflon-coated Pneumant tyre made the bike a bit of a menace, although the ovality of the front drum acted as a kind of primitive anti-lock. In any case, I was going along a street in Chelsea in the rain in a bit of a daydream when the car in front pulled an emergency stop. Only way for me to avoid collision was to stand on the back brake, which locked the wheel and, given that the back tyre was as slippery as the front. dumped the bike on its side. Non-folding footpegs dug in and ensured that it and I stopped short of the car.
I call that a lay down. IIRC I bought a pair of Pirelli tyres the next week.
not looking to seem insensitive here, but if you'd been paying attention and given yourself a bit more distance due to conditions, it would have made it more likely that it could have been avoided? Also, most of the time if the wheels lock it's due to mashing on the brakes in a panic situation

given the description in your post I'd still call this rider error and laying it down as a cop out for riding too close/distracted in poor conditions and mashing the brakes

am I wrong?

ps, using the footpegs to "dig into the pavement to slow it down" is hilarious. Call a crash a crash. This is bullshit.
Islesfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #22
Islesfan91
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
No. You generally only do that (Lay 'er Down) when you don't have the skills to ride it out and need an excuse to not really embarrass yourself explaining to someone else why you crashed.

Really.

ding ding, we have a winner!
Islesfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #23
skidxr
Excuses

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesfan91 View Post
ding ding, we have a winner!

Agreed... If it's laying down. You crashed !!!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #24
Treedguy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 974

Of course it's a dumb idea ON PAVEMENT.

I found myself "layin her down" one night on somebodys front lawn.
I miss judged a corner. Way too fast. I left the road and blasted over a little ditch, through some bushes, and for some reason I was still upright. The house was approaching quickly so I locked the rear and washed out.

There was no way I was going to stop, on grass, with street tires, before hitting the house.
Worked like a charm.
Treedguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #25
the Pheasant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesfan91 View Post
not looking to seem insensitive here, but if you'd been paying attention and given yourself a bit more distance due to conditions, it would have made it more likely that it could have been avoided? Also, most of the time if the wheels lock it's due to mashing on the brakes in a panic situation

given the description in your post I'd still call this rider error and laying it down as a cop out for riding too close/distracted in poor conditions and mashing the brakes

am I wrong?

ps, using the footpegs to "dig into the pavement to slow it down" is hilarious. Call a crash a crash. This is bullshit.
'I was going along a street in Chelsea in the rain in a bit of a daydream'... I call that an admission of inattention. Of course the whole thing was my fault. Not sure I claimed that I used the footpegs digging in to slow the bike. It's just what happened - luckily.
the Pheasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #26
TxRoadDog
SHOVELS AND EVOS

Oddometer: 165
Yes, back when I raced motocross. I came off a table top and my throttle stuck (it was really muddy, but I always kept the throttle clean so...), but naturally this spot was the one dry part of the track where I was landing, and it was either go off the berm and crash into a tree, or force the bike down to the ground... came out with a right elbow so bruised and purple it stayed discolored and swollen for several days. I make fun of the "lay er down" statement as much as anyone, but I actually had to do it once. A week before a kid had the same thing happen to him and there was barbed wire on the other side of the berm that he got into, and they hauled him off in life flight.
1996 Harley Davidson FXDS, V-Thunder 3010, Torrington B-138, Hylift Johnson Lifters, Arlen Ness Big Sucker, V&H Competition Drag pipes, Riser Spacers, Santee XLX Low rise Bars, J&P Antique style grips, 13" FXDX Shocks, Shimmed and PVC'd front forks with 20w oil.
TxRoadDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #27
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
So you deliberately locked the rear, and swung it round until you were down on the ground? If so, I'd say that counts! I really wonder if I could do that, or if I'd be constantly trying to minimize speed and keeping it up on the tires. Certainly I've done what you describe, but it was incidental to locking the brakes, not deliberate on my part.

Wow, I'd say that counts too. Not a scenario or a technique that I was thinking of either. I can't think of the time, but I suspect I've done similar "dives to safety" as well. Especially on bicycles.
Yup I've done both those things. When you are turned full lock, rotating towards past perpendicular of the direction of travel, and the tires start skipping it seems about as reasonable as anything else.

I'm a large proponent of riding the bike into the crash and minimizing speed but at some point it just makes more sense to punch out and get away from the bike before it starts cartwheeling as things are happening too fast or there is just no saving it. When a crash is inevitable, usually, trying to fight it makes it worse, I learned that from skiing at a young age.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #28
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
If you think riding a low side out on the bike is a good idea I think you'll be sadly mistaken when one of those hard bits on your bike grabs something and launches you into low earth orbit. Sure some people have "done" it but it only works until it doesn't.
If you are going to low side the bike it's better to just part ways. The bike with more mass than you is going to go further even if it doesn't spit you off, increasing your chances of hitting something. You're chances are much better parting ways with the bike.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #29
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Yes.... I have often layed a bike down off road, especially when mustering livestock on farms. Just skid around to a halt, drop the bike and run off to help the dogs with that beast that has decided to bolt to moto hostile ground.

As kids we often did it for fun on bicycles and motorcycles on wet farm tracks.

No.... I have never done it at speed on a sealed road; I prefer anticipate and avoid trouble. Still if the need arose it I probably would lay a bike down; it would be instinctive.

In days of yore before ABS, before disc brakes or even half decent drums, locking the rear wheel, skidding the bike round and laying it down was recommended practice for an emergency stop.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #30
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,714
Lay er down? The Mrs. as much as she allows, the bikes No.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote