Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #451
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssregal39 View Post
I also see a lot of sniveling about nothing. too much like a Harley. not enough like a Harley. guess what, it's a Yamaha!
and a really nice one. the most amazing thing is that they did it with an existing engine already in their parts bin. when they get around to doing one as nice as this in the bigger engine sizes things are really going to get cut throat in the big cruiser world of sales. between Victory, Indian, and the never ending ever improving onslaught of japanese cruisers it sure must be nice to be in the market for one.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #452
MHaz01
I Used To Be Faster

Oddometer: 206
I stopped at a Yamaha dealer this afternoon to look at the new FJR1300. A Bolt was parked on the sales floor next to the FJRs. The Bolt looks MUCH better in person than it does in photos. The design cues are all 'industrial art' rather than 'Sportster wannabe'. Its design says 'not a Harley' way more than any other statement. The paint, fit, and detailing are flawless. Very high build quality. Dealer says he cant keep them in stock for more than a day or two, and that the buyers are definitely not cross-shopping HD.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #453
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,177
53 riders showed up at Bart's Mega World today to ride the Bolt.

12 of them arrived together on sportbikes in full leathers to try it while being completely straight up about how they have no intention of buying one.

Wouldn't you know the oldest of the bunch (40's?) was the one who lofted the front wheel.

Three people came off the ride and walked in to buy a bolt, one guy traded in his 883 to do it.
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #454
epb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
Three people came off the ride and walked in to buy a bolt, one guy traded in his 883 to do it.
Did any of the sportbike guys convert?
epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #455
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Quote:
Originally Posted by epb View Post
Did any of the sportbike guys convert?
Nope.

Although I had some fun with them; as they left I asked "which one of you will be back next week without his friends to by a Bolt?"

They also got the "zippiest" ride of the day which given where we were and what we were doing was still quite tame. We observe posted speed limits, about the only thing we can do is be aggressive in getting to them.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:43 AM   #456
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 4,254
Can anyone speak to the speedometer at night? Can you see it? Is it back-lit at all?
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:35 AM   #457
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,343
Test ride from another forum (not Harley) "Suzuki."

"so, one of the dealerships near my house was having a Yamaha sponsored ride for the Bolt today; figured I would give it a shot considering I'm looking to buying a midsize bike like that in the next year.

I didn't even get a block before realizing I didn't want one; the seat was really low but a long way from the bars so I was leaning forward half sport bike style to reach them and I have fairly long arms. The clutch has about a millimeter friction zone: there is nearly three inches of travel until it engages then it's fulled meshed with no ability to "slip" the clutch. Yamaha is really proud of this clutch apparently but it it always seems like it was "all the way on" or "all the way off" with no in between resulting in a lot of "rough shifts"

The part that turned me off it right away was that the airbox and plastic overs for the cylinder head stuck out so far on both sides that i had to dig my knees into them on both sides and go "pidgeon toed" to be able to reach the shifter or the rear brake. It was just uncomfortable all around.

On the upside, it's really light and uses the same engine as the Star 950 so it's really strong on the low end torque and I could get to 60 very quickly.

I feel like they may be targeting the younger 20s-mid 30s crowd who are more concerned with having a "unique looking" bike then a well planned one. I live right outside the Los Feliz, Eagle Rock, and Atwater Village sections of Los Angeles and there are a lot of "hipster" types that would buy this bike just to ride down to the local "bar du jour" for a Pabst just so they could be seen on it. If I had to ride one more than 50 miles, I would probably just have it towed back home and take a bus.

There was a film crew there and they wanted to interview me about it. I told them that they probably don't want to talk to me because I don't want one. On the survey, they asked "Before the test ride, how likely were you to purchase a Star Bolt?" and I put "considering it" and where it said "And after the test ride?" I put "would not buy it". The funny part was the guide leading the test ride wasn't riding one; he was on a Road Star 1600."

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:53 AM   #458
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexnut View Post
Test ride from another forum (not Harley) "Suzuki."

"so, one of the dealerships near my house was having a Yamaha sponsored ride for the Bolt today; figured I would give it a shot considering I'm looking to buying a midsize bike like that in the next year.

I didn't even get a block before realizing I didn't want one; the seat was really low but a long way from the bars so I was leaning forward half sport bike style to reach them and I have fairly long arms. The clutch has about a millimeter friction zone: there is nearly three inches of travel until it engages then it's fulled meshed with no ability to "slip" the clutch. Yamaha is really proud of this clutch apparently but it it always seems like it was "all the way on" or "all the way off" with no in between resulting in a lot of "rough shifts"

The part that turned me off it right away was that the airbox and plastic overs for the cylinder head stuck out so far on both sides that i had to dig my knees into them on both sides and go "pidgeon toed" to be able to reach the shifter or the rear brake. It was just uncomfortable all around.

On the upside, it's really light and uses the same engine as the Star 950 so it's really strong on the low end torque and I could get to 60 very quickly.

I feel like they may be targeting the younger 20s-mid 30s crowd who are more concerned with having a "unique looking" bike then a well planned one. I live right outside the Los Feliz, Eagle Rock, and Atwater Village sections of Los Angeles and there are a lot of "hipster" types that would buy this bike just to ride down to the local "bar du jour" for a Pabst just so they could be seen on it. If I had to ride one more than 50 miles, I would probably just have it towed back home and take a bus.

There was a film crew there and they wanted to interview me about it. I told them that they probably don't want to talk to me because I don't want one. On the survey, they asked "Before the test ride, how likely were you to purchase a Star Bolt?" and I put "considering it" and where it said "And after the test ride?" I put "would not buy it". The funny part was the guide leading the test ride wasn't riding one; he was on a Road Star 1600."
I hope he let them know about his negative impressions. I was at an event near HQ; some of the top brass were there and were reading the surveys. If all they hear is "it's wonderful" than the opportunity to see improvements down the line are reduced.

The lead and chase riders are on other models because they want to reserve the Bolts for consumers. In my case I use a Stratoliner Deluxe even if I only have two guests. It's easier for us to use the same bike all the time as we use it to scout the routes and get back and forth to the hotel. I like having bags and a GPS so the Strat works well.

Ritalin Boy screwed with this post 05-06-2013 at 01:55 PM
Old 05-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #459
mrbreeze OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,024
I don't get the "long way to the bars" thing. When I sat on a Bolt, it felt pretty good to me in that regard - but then again, I didn't get to ride it.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #460
DirtHopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
I don't get the "long way to the bars" thing. When I sat on a Bolt, it felt pretty good to me in that regard - but then again, I didn't get to ride it.
me either. maybe he had one fitted with the mini ape bars
Old 05-06-2013, 04:52 PM   #461
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Finally got a chance to see a Bolt and sit on it today.

I like it. Way better machine ergonomically, at least for me, than the Iron 883 or Nightster...
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #462
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,266
You can only go up from there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumshoe4 View Post
Finally got a chance to see a Bolt and sit on it today.

I like it. Way better machine ergonomically, at least for me, than the Iron 883 or Nightster...
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #463
DirtHopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
You can only go up from there...
OMG ROFL
Old 05-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #464
ECN-ROL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
I saw a bolt today. I'm not a cruiser guy, but I thought it looked interesting. I didn't mind the riding position too much, found it reasonably comfortable. My question is though, how do you ride it without burning your thighs on the rear cylinder when you grip the tank with your knees. Why oh why would any manufacturer make a gas tank so narrow at the rear that your legs press against a hot cylinder. Has to be one of the stupidest ideas ever.
ECN-ROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:09 AM   #465
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECN-ROL View Post
I saw a bolt today. I'm not a cruiser guy, but I thought it looked interesting. I didn't mind the riding position too much, found it reasonably comfortable. My question is though, how do you ride it without burning your thighs on the rear cylinder when you grip the tank with your knees. Why oh why would any manufacturer make a gas tank so narrow at the rear that your legs press against a hot cylinder. Has to be one of the stupidest ideas ever.
It might be a stupid idea, if anyone were actually burning their legs on it.