User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
gmk999 OP
____ as a Rotax

Oddometer: 424
Can-Am Q??

anyone here wheelie or stoppie a Can-Am Spyder?
I have never heard-of or seen any one do it, But with all of them out there someone must have.
Photos, vids ,links please
Old 04-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
Too Many Toys
Adventure Poseur

Oddometer: 1,200
Ain't going to happen unless you could somehow disconnect all the electronics. ABS, Stability Control, etc. prevents such shenanigans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmk999 View Post
I have never heard-of or seen any one do it, But with all of them out there someone must have.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Toys View Post
Ain't going to happen unless you could somehow disconnect all the electronics. ABS, Stability Control, etc. prevents such shenanigans.
Even then......not gonna happen. Have a real good look at the front bodywork, then have a real good look at how much the front end weighs.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
Wreckster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
I've always wondered.......

Who has taken one of them fancy 3 wheel contraptions through the snow?
Wreckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
Mr_Snips
Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Oddometer: 352
I'm curious who has built a serious drag machine out of one...big super wide rear tire and i presume alot of room to shove turbos and nitrous.
Mr_Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #6
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmk999 View Post

I got a 3 hour stint on a 2011 model last summer. The thing will do a 200 ft smoke monster of a burnout,,,pop a wheelie,,,I can't see it. Do a stoppie? Boy, the thing really stops well, but I think it has more electronic stability over-ride happening, it could not happen.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:23 PM   #7
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckster View Post
I've always wondered.......

Who has taken one of them fancy 3 wheel contraptions through the snow?
My neighbor. He said it was "fun" (quotes are his )
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #8
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
*Cracks knuckles*

You can't wheelie a Spyder. Too much weight is forward, and not enough power goes to the rear wheel.

You can't stoppie a Spyder. Not enough weight is forward, and the linked brakes and Nanny (the electronics controlling wheel slip and power to the wheels) keep it planted in a stop. (REALLY planted... the hardest thing in moving from a Spyder to a bike is how lazy a Spyder makes you in the braking department, you're easily spoiled by how well they stop, in any situation).

You can burnout a Spyder, but it's a lame little piffle. 95% of the time the Nanny will prevent you from doing a burnout. But if you launch just right, you can get a little wheel spin going as you launch. But nothing worth doing IMO-- you can't do a standing burnout, for example.

As for turbo and nitrous, there have been aftermarket kits for the former (Aerocharger makes one), none for the latter that I now of. But the Spyder isn't a speed demon, at all, so the best you're doing is increasing the off-the-line performance. There are cheaper and easier ways of improving the performance than with a turbo kit (aftermarket exhaust, intakes, fuel controllers, etc.), plus the verdict on the turbo kits have been finicky and even downright destructive (the Spyder's got too many electronic moving parts, it gets upset easily).
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
This is a motorcycle forum, not an oddball bike/carthing sort of forum.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #10
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
As a Ural slave, I resemble that remark.

I would love to get a chance to pilot a BRP 3 wheeler if the opportunity comes up at a local dealer, seems like a well thought out design.

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #11
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,777
The Spyders also have that neat electronic feature that cuts power in corners as soon as the inner front wheel tries to lift off,if it didnt do that and the inside wheel came up I think it would jet off the road in a direction of it's own choosing.
Not a real performance device. Leaning front wheels would be cool.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #12
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague View Post
As a Ural slave, I resemble that remark.

I would love to get a chance to pilot a BRP 3 wheeler if the opportunity comes up at a local dealer, seems like a well thought out design.
As a Spyder slave, I'd love to ride a Ural. Neat weird riding machines are fun!

Oh, and I forgot to add earlier: the Nanny kinda ruins the fun in the snow, too. I've ridden it in snow but it loves to slip and slide while the traction control finds a footing. If only one could run some power to the *front* wheels, then it would be gangbusters in the snow, but alas, no joy in the current design.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #13
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
As a Spyder slave, I'd love to ride a Ural. Neat weird riding machines are fun!

Oh, and I forgot to add earlier: the Nanny kinda ruins the fun in the snow, too. I've ridden it in snow but it loves to slip and slide while the traction control finds a footing. If only one could run some power to the *front* wheels, then it would be gangbusters in the snow, but alas, no joy in the current design.
If we are ever in the same neighbourhood, we can swap rides. But the Ural definitely doesn't have any Nannies, all 40 odd solid Russkie ponies are delivered free of any electronic traction or braking control devices.

If you are successful in getting it up to speeds where things can go sideways, you're your definitely on your own Comrade as there is no tech coming to your rescue, but I have had some great times spinning and doing donuts in snow and mud.

A Brit named Billy once said something silly; he so wrongly concluded that Ural deluded.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #14
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
How do you split lanes (one of the reasons I ride a bike)?
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #15
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montague View Post
If we are ever in the same neighbourhood, we can swap rides. But the Ural definitely doesn't have any Nannies, all 40 odd solid Russkie ponies are delivered free of any electronic traction or braking control devices.

If you are successful in getting it up to speeds where things can go sideways, you're your definitely on your own Comrade as there is no tech coming to your rescue, but I have had some great times spinning and doing donuts in snow and mud.
The most hack riding I've ever done was puttering around a parking lot on some 250cc hacks used at a riding school I visited. Grin-inducing pucker-fun, certainly a VERY unique experience, nothing like a bike (or a Spyder, or a conventional trike).

Alas, I'd never have the nerve to practice on someone's pride and joy. The Spyder, however, I've got no qualms about loaning that out to interested parties. Heck, I've even let my brother and girlfriend ride it, and they both have crashed more bikes than I've ever owned.