ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
my3sons59 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Oddometer: 38
Best adventure bike for a picky ole fart?

I’m 50+ & considering my first adventure bike. I’ve ridden a Goldwing for years (which I'll most likely keep...unless the adv bike completely satisfies), but I want a bike that provides more opportunities for exploring back roads. I estimate that 80% (or more) of my riding will be on pavement, and the other 20% will be on relatively decent dirt/gravel rural roads. Only occasionally will I have a rider on back (less than 2% of the time). I like to take meticulous care of my bikes & keep them washed & polished, but at the same time, I’m not afraid to get them (temporarily) dusty or dirty while exploring. So, having said that, I’m not the kind of rider that’s going to be taking my bike down through the woods on narrow trails or slopping through the swamp with mud up to the axles…just the occasional pot-hole riddled dirt or gravel road…and, if I’m lucky, maybe a trip from the deep south where I live to Prudhoe Bay or some other once-in-a-lifetime dream trip like that. With that in mind, here’s my must-have (or what I feel are must-haves) list:

* Relatively large motor (1000+ cc)
* Relatively large bike
* Shaft-drive
* Electronic cruise control, if possible (the Goldwing spoiled me!)
* “Lazy Boy” comfortable seat
* Butter smooth engine with no handlebar buzz or vibrating mirrors
* Very predictable off-road manners
* Bullet proof & "stupid" reliability/dependability. Other than routine maintenance, I, basically, want to put gas in it & RIDE. No valve adjustments, no taking it to the dealer, or crap like that.

Here are some of the bikes that I’ve considered, but most have been eliminated because they don’t meet the criteria on my wish list:

* Triumph XC: I hear it has a s-m-o-o-t-h engine, but it was eliminated because it has chain drive & a relatively small engine (although I probably could have learned to live with the 800 engine).
* Ducati MS: probably too fast/zippy for an ole fart like me (although I would welcome the opportunity to learn to live with that :-)), but eliminated because I read that Ducati has spotty reliability
* Triumph Explorer: once again, smooth & revvy engine, but I read that it sucks off road…way too front heavy…front bogs down…goes where it wants to
* Moto Guzzi Stelvio: I read several reviews, and it sounded great…until I read that it vibrates like a son-of-a-gun. Handlebars vibrate so bad that your hands go numb, and mirrors vibrate so bad that they’re worthless
* KTM 990: chain drive
* BMW GS/GSA: THIS WAS MY TOP CHOICE. I LOVE THE STYLING & LOOKS…but I won’t even consider one because of the absurdly high cost of ownership and maintenance (from what I've read).
* Honda Crosstourer: Hondas have served me very well for decades, so the CT just might be the ticket...if they ever bring it to the US.
* Yamaha Super Tenere: If Honda doesn’t bring the CT to the US (and even if they do), then I’m looking strongly at the S10. Some call it boring with “no soul”, but from what I’ve read, it sounds like a great bike that meets most of the criteria on my wish list.

I welcome any & all comments. Don’t hesitate to “rake me over the coals” if you think my logic is flawed or for any other reason that you care to comment on. I look forward to hearing from all of you, b/c the more information that I have, the better decision I’ll be able to make on my bike purchase. Thanks.

my3sons59 screwed with this post 04-09-2013 at 01:26 PM
my3sons59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...
 
Blue&Yellow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Sweden
Oddometer: 754
I think what you could be looking for is the Yamaha Super Tenere.

At first I was a little perplexed "gravel roads, shaft-drive, arm chair comfortable" - huh?

But I think I see where you're coming from now. Yamaha's are really reliable and from what I've heard the S10 is surprisingly able in the dirt despite it's size. You'd need to get some kind of custom screen like the madstad though since the stock one is pretty horrible for road use from what I've heard.

If you can accept chain-drive the F800GS is also a great all-rounder: more user-friendly than say a 990Adv and much simpler and cheaper to keep than a 1200GS.

Question though: will you be keeping the gold wing? Because if you're keeping the wing I would get something MUCH smaller and lighter instead to complement the wing. Buy if you're selling the wing I understand....
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..
 
Dr. Greg's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: ABQ, New Mexico
Oddometer: 1,133
I wouldn't discount the Ducati because of reliability. Both my 2010 MTS 1200S's (first one totaled) have been very reliable, closing in on 50,000 miles.

Cost of ownership is not low, however. But cruise control is available.

Just MHO.

--Doc
__________________
2013 BMW GSW
2000 Kawasaki KLX300R
1992 Ducati 900SS
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,843
To me this reads like the wish list of a "spec buyer".

You're coming from a Goldwing, don't even know the adventure bikes or how riding them (especially the "large ones with the big engines") feels, on road or on dirt.

I think your list reads like you should just keep the Goldwing and put decent suspension on.

Other than that: go to the dealers and test ride. Then buy what makes you smile. Not what sounds good on papers and in reviews/tests. Everybody is different, you are different from all of us and the description you're giving is in my opinion useless as it is build from dreams and wishes and not from riding experience on adventure bikes.

Btw: I owned a 2009 BMW F800GS (great bike, annoyed me with buffeting), a 2010 BWM R1200GS (awesome bike, but heavy and big), and now own a Tiger 800 (Road version).

I actually hate chain maintenance, but in reality I don't give it too much thought just keep it adjusted properly and put some DuPont teflon lube on whenever I feel like it, so I'll just have to replace it a bit earlier - big deal. I like big and comfy bikes, the Tiger is smaller and more agile, I like that better nowadays. Recently I test rode a 2013 R1200GS (water cooled) and the handling felt dog slow to me. And the (standard) suspension sucked compared to a Traxxion/Öhlins equipped Tiger. Sure, the bike had lots of power - I'd use that about 0.05% of the time. I have nothing to prove, no need for big power, I like having fun, cruising around, burning some rubber from time to time, but I mostly just ride, so I'm good with the "small" engine (still 95HP).

Really, in your position, you seem to be able to buy any bike you like, so why do you limit yourself without even knowing ANY of them? All of them are great bikes and coming from a Wing, I'd rather try them out and buy what I like most instead of doing spec shopping.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Meadowlands, NJ (just east of the USA)
Oddometer: 1,582
I don't think your idea of 'Off Road' ("…just the occasional pot-hole riddled dirt or gravel road…") will really be a problem for the Tiger Exporer. Any reports of 'sucks off road' I'm sure refer to much more technical riding than a dirt road with a few pot holes. I wouldn't count it out based on that alone, as it seems to match all your other criteria nicely.
__________________
-Lee
2013 Triumph Tiger 800
2008 Suzuki SV650n (Sold... I miss that bike...)
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
Cloudhopper
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Dublin
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sons59 View Post
* Moto Guzzi Stelvio: I read several reviews, and it sounded great…until I read that it vibrates like a son-of-a-gun. Handlebars vibrate so bad that your hands go numb, and mirrors vibrate so bad that they’re worthless
Nope.
Mirrors is a US problem, easily fixed by installing the EU indicators and mirrors.
Yeah you can feel some vibration, but it's a motorbike not an electric scoot. Never had numb hands or anything.
__________________
Bikes:
Moto Guzzi Stelvio
BMW F650GS
Cloudhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #7
schrabs
Adventurer
 
schrabs's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Black Forest, Germany / Santa Rosa, CA
Oddometer: 41
Since 50+ as you say makes you an ole fart I guess I'm almost there as well at 47... so my suggestion is: testride some adv bikes, even the ones you might have ruled out already and get the one that makes you feel 32 again. If it has a chain? So what, it'll take 5 minutes every other day to take care of it. We're both too old to waste our time riding on boring bikes, don't ya think?
schrabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...
 
Blue&Yellow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Sweden
Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
To me this reads like the wish list of a "spec buyer".

You're coming from a Goldwing, don't even know the adventure bikes or how riding them (especially the "large ones with the big engines") feels, on road or on dirt.

Really, in your position, you seem to be able to buy any bike you like, so why do you limit yourself without even knowing ANY of them? All of them are great bikes and coming from a Wing, I'd rather try them out and buy what I like most instead of doing spec shopping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
I don't think your idea of 'Off Road' ("…just the occasional pot-hole riddled dirt or gravel road…") will really be a problem for the Tiger Exporer. Any reports of 'sucks off road' I'm sure refer to much more technical riding than a dirt road with a few pot holes. I wouldn't count it out based on that alone, as it seems to match all your other criteria nicely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrabs View Post
Since 50+ as you say makes you an ole fart I guess I'm almost there as well at 47... so my suggestion is: testride some adv bikes, even the ones you might have ruled out already and get the one that makes you feel 32 again. If it has a chain? So what, it'll take 5 minutes every other day to take care of it. We're both too old to waste our time riding on boring bikes, don't ya think?
All great advice!

To further their point I might also add that some of the most die-hard adventure riders on this forum do serious week long excursions on nothing but a Yamaha WR250R and they love it. They think it's the best thing since sliced bread and that it tours at 65mph all day in absolute comfort.

When I get old and wise enough I'm going to be that strange old dude riding a WR250R and I'm going to be blissfully happy doing it - I can feel it.

Why not just keep the gold wing and buy something silly like a Honda CRF250L to play with? Several people in your position have.
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #9
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 15,989
I'm in my 50s as well. Originally my wish list would have been similar to yours.
Sold my Strom and bought the Tenere. The thing that changed the most was
the off road intent. These things are so surprising on the off road capability end.

Been to Prudhoe on the Strom. The Tenere would have been a nicer bike all the
way around to do that ride on. Destroyed the Strom chain in the mud. Got lucky
on finding a replacement chain. I too wanted a shaft after that.

It's no Gold Wing on the vibration end. Seems a little hit and miss. Some owners
have complained of unacceptable vibration that got better with miles. I've always
felt mine was fine....not vibration free, but comfortable enough to not be a consideration.

Of course I'm biased. I've read good things on the big Triumph. If it were me doing it again
I'd try one of those too. For now very happy with the S10.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809307
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #10
my3sons59 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Oddometer: 38
Thanks for your reply. Based on what you said, I take it that the F800GS requires MUCH less maintenance & fussing over than either a 1200GS or GSA? I can handle routine maintenance, but I have zero tolerance for any brand of bike that requires more than occasional trips to the dealer. Thx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Yellow View Post
I think what you could be looking for is the Yamaha Super Tenere.

At first I was a little perplexed "gravel roads, shaft-drive, arm chair comfortable" - huh?

But I think I see where you're coming from now. Yamaha's are really reliable and from what I've heard the S10 is surprisingly able in the dirt despite it's size. You'd need to get some kind of custom screen like the madstad though since the stock one is pretty horrible for road use from what I've heard.

If you can accept chain-drive the F800GS is also a great all-rounder: more user-friendly than say a 990Adv and much simpler and cheaper to keep than a 1200GS.

Question though: will you be keeping the gold wing? Because if you're keeping the wing I would get something MUCH smaller and lighter instead to complement the wing. Buy if you're selling the wing I understand....
my3sons59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...
 
Blue&Yellow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Sweden
Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sons59 View Post
Thanks for your reply. Based on what you said, I take it that the F800GS requires MUCH less maintenance & fussing over than either a 1200GS or GSA? I can handle routine maintenance, but I have zero tolerance for any brand of bike that requires more than occasional trips to the dealer. Thx.
If you're interested in something like the 800GS this guy here does a great eight (8!) part review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HsP32uel68

It's a very nice bike for sure.
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #12
Gillus
High Desert Rat
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Alamogordo, NM
Oddometer: 670
What's your budget?? Your a youngster at 50, Keep in mind it is all downhill to 60 .
Wee and V-Stroms are fine, reliable, economical, comfortable with a few ergo adjustments if needed. cug had great thoughts on chains.

I was in the same Goldwing cult syndrome, sold that hippo in running shoes for several sport tourers but could never get comfortable (I'm 6'3") and ended up with a "11 GSA and love it. Yes it can be heavy/top heavy if full of fuel but rides better than anything out there and is very capable if you are off-road. Is it butter smooth??, not as much as an inline 4 but has a nice feel for me and I like the torque. So far it has not given me a bit of grief and I do not expect any. I easily do all the maintenance myself, Yes it is recommended every 6k miles but not an issue for me.

Go look in person, touch, feel, sit on them all and ride the ones you can. One of them will start to trip your trigger then you may need to find that lazy boy seat to fit it.
__________________
Beware those with no sense of humor as they will cause you misery.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I said, not what you understood or how you interpreted my words!!
'11 GSA supertanker/mothership, '11 R1200R (for sale), '11 Suzuki Burgman 400, '06 KTM 640A
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #13
my3sons59 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Oddometer: 38
Thanks for your reply. About the vibration, I assume you're referring to the S10? If so, I'm surprised...because none of the S10 reviews I read mentioned ANY vibration. Me thinks that my Goldwing has spoiled me on lots of things, including vibration...which is almost non-existent on the Wing. BTW, did I understand you to say that you encountered LOTS of mud on the trip to Prudhoe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I'm in my 50s as well. Originally my wish list would have been similar to yours.
Sold my Strom and bought the Tenere. The thing that changed the most was
the off road intent. These things are so surprising on the off road capability end.

Been to Prudhoe on the Strom. The Tenere would have been a nicer bike all the
way around to do that ride on. Destroyed the Strom chain in the mud. Got lucky
on finding a replacement chain. I too wanted a shaft after that.

It's no Gold Wing on the vibration end. Seems a little hit and miss. Some owners
have complained of unacceptable vibration that got better with miles. I've always
felt mine was fine....not vibration free, but comfortable enough to not be a consideration.

Of course I'm biased. I've read good things on the big Triumph. If it were me doing it again
I'd try one of those too. For now very happy with the S10.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809307
my3sons59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #14
my3sons59 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Oddometer: 38
Thanks for your reply. When you say maintenance every 6k, are you talking about anything other than oil changes? What about valve adjustments? Is that difficult? I'm reasonably mechanical (but definitely not a full-fledged wrench), and I can handle relatively small jobs...and could probably handle valve adjustments if necessary. But I'd rather have a bike that doesn't even require valve adjustments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillus View Post
What's your budget?? Your a youngster at 50, Keep in mind it is all downhill to 60 .
Wee and V-Stroms are fine, reliable, economical, comfortable with a few ergo adjustments if needed. cug had great thoughts on chains.

I was in the same Goldwing cult syndrome, sold that hippo in running shoes for several sport tourers but could never get comfortable (I'm 6'3") and ended up with a "11 GSA and love it. Yes it can be heavy/top heavy if full of fuel but rides better than anything out there and is very capable if you are off-road. Is it butter smooth??, not as much as an inline 4 but has a nice feel for me and I like the torque. So far it has not given me a bit of grief and I do not expect any. I easily do all the maintenance myself, Yes it is recommended every 6k miles but not an issue for me.

Go look in person, touch, feel, sit on them all and ride the ones you can. One of them will start to trip your trigger then you may need to find that lazy boy seat to fit it.
my3sons59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #15
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 15,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sons59 View Post
Thanks for your reply. About the vibration, I assume you're referring to the S10? If so, I'm surprised...because none of the S10 reviews I read mentioned ANY vibration. Me thinks that my Goldwing has spoiled me on lots of things, including vibration...which is almost non-existent on the Wing. BTW, did I understand you to say that you encountered LOTS of mud on the trip to Prudhoe?
Yes LOL. Not the axle deep stuff just the most slippery surface mud I've ever been on.




If you have a chance to read the link I provided above you will see several owners
complained of high vibration levels. Very random. You can also check out the
Tenere site and do a quick search yamahasupertenere.com. Most seem to find a
solution with putting miles on the bike. I have done the reflash of the ECU as well and
recommend that modification.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014