User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #16
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Thumb I chose the TEX

I have to agree with Lee on this one. Don't discount the Explorer because of some magazine article you've read. I don't put much stock in what some of the ride reports from some of these so called bike magazines put out. A lot depends on your physical size & strength not to mention your riding abilities. (No, I am not that great of a rider.) I won't take my TEX into some of the timbers that I take my KLR into, but she'll go anywhere else I want to take her as long as it doesn't get too technicle. Once these Tourances wear out & I put some decent 70/30 or 60/40 tires on her, she'll do even better. By the way, I turned 60 last fall and I'm 6'4" & 240 pounds. Some of the best advice given here so far is to go to different dealers, take several test rides, and buy the one that puts the biggest smile on your face!

Big Jon screwed with this post 04-09-2013 at 04:20 PM
Big Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #17
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sons59 View Post
Thanks for your reply. When you say maintenance every 6k, are you talking about anything other than oil changes? What about valve adjustments? Is that difficult? I'm reasonably mechanical (but definitely not a full-fledged wrench), and I can handle relatively small jobs...and could probably handle valve adjustments if necessary. But I'd rather have a bike that doesn't even require valve adjustments.
Yes the valve "checks" are every 6K, On my '11 cam head, forum opinion is they rarely if ever adjusting. No parts involved to check them and maybe an hour to check both sides. Some guys check them every 12k if they have not needed anything for the first or second check like mine.
A 6K service is engine oil and filter, trans and final drive fluid changes and valve check and a throttle body sync.
An annual includes brake fluid changes.

Jim Von Baden has videos and some initial tool purchases and you can do it all at home if you like tinkering. Buy the tools (you may already have some), maybe a GS911 to reset the reminder (a dealer will do this for $25.00), a twinmax and a harbor fright vacuum brake bleeder and it will all cost the same as one dealer service then the others are cheap DIY. I do two friends BMW RTs with the same tools and it works out well.

If this process is too much too often, look into a Wee or V-Strom or some others suggested. I like my GSA and enjoy doing the services and like riding it as it does what I want, where I want, when I want with a feel only a GSA has, it is an easy bike to ride.
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #18
TeepS
Full Circle Rider

Oddometer: 334
A. the bike does not exist that fits your criteria.
B. riding a big bike on loose surfaces, is not the same as riding the GW on the street; and will end in tears sooner or later. don't ask me how I know...
C. since you plan on dirt/gravel road riding, make sure you can pick the bike up when on its side.
D. of all the bikes on your list the Yamaha is probably the way to go.
TeepS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #19
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeepS View Post
A. the bike does not exist that fits your criteria.
And I thought I was a picky rider
Old 04-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #20
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudhopper View Post
Nope.
Mirrors is a US problem, easily fixed by installing the EU indicators and mirrors.
Yeah you can feel some vibration, but it's a motorbike not an electric scoot. Never had numb hands or anything.
And to add, I'm 50+ and the Stelvio's vibration to me isn't even really noticable. I've done 1000 mile days and no ill affects on the hands.

The U.S. spec mirrors are shit. I changed my directionals and mirrors to the Euro spec mirrors and directionals within a couple of days of picking it up.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #21
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
The Yamaha gets good reports around here.
However, any shaft drive will be heavy ... your dream BMW included.
It will be hard to meet your criteria but ...
At 50 y/o you will likely always want to try a BMW ... how many years to go? LOL
You may just have to bite the bullet and spend the bucks to see just which one is for you ...
advice is like a$$hxxxx, ...oh, never mind ...
And, yes, I bought an off road shaftie.
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #22
amk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Best adventure bike for a picky ole fart

Motorized wheelchair.
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #23
my3sons59 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
LOL. Maybe someday. But, thank the good Lord, not yet!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk View Post
Motorized wheelchair.
my3sons59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #24
my3sons59 OP
Adventurer

Thanks for your reply. I think you're exactly right. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to bring myself to buy a 1200GS, but if I don't, I think I'll always wish I had. So, what to do, what to do?? BTW, which shaftie did you buy? And, are you pleased with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
The Yamaha gets good reports around here.
However, any shaft drive will be heavy ... your dream BMW included.
It will be hard to meet your criteria but ...
At 50 y/o you will likely always want to try a BMW ... how many years to go? LOL
You may just have to bite the bullet and spend the bucks to see just which one is for you ...
advice is like a$$hxxxx, ...oh, never mind ...
And, yes, I bought an off road shaftie.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #25
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sons59 View Post
So, what to do, what to do?? BTW, which shaftie did you buy? And, are you pleased with it?
I had a BMW R1200GS and that was perfect when I also had a Yamaha WR250X + dirt wheels. One for tour fun, one for adventure fun. I sold the WR when I got a car, regretted it a lot and decided the GS was too big and heavy to be my only bike for everything. The Tiger is too, but I can get a Tiger and a WR for the price of a GS ...
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #26
my3sons59 OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the information. I may have to take a 2nd look at the Stelvio, as I've read it has lots of "character & soul". Do you consider the MG almost as dependable & bullet proof as a Jap bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
And to add, I'm 50+ and the Stelvio's vibration to me isn't even really noticable. I've done 1000 mile days and no ill affects on the hands.

The U.S. spec mirrors are shit. I changed my directionals and mirrors to the Euro spec mirrors and directionals within a couple of days of picking it up.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #27
my3sons59 OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the info. Yes, I make look at a Wee. From everything that I've read about it, it's a solid & well-respected bike that won't break the bank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillus View Post
Yes the valve "checks" are every 6K, On my '11 cam head, forum opinion is they rarely if ever adjusting. No parts involved to check them and maybe an hour to check both sides. Some guys check them every 12k if they have not needed anything for the first or second check like mine.
A 6K service is engine oil and filter, trans and final drive fluid changes and valve check and a throttle body sync.
An annual includes brake fluid changes.

Jim Von Baden has videos and some initial tool purchases and you can do it all at home if you like tinkering. Buy the tools (you may already have some), maybe a GS911 to reset the reminder (a dealer will do this for $25.00), a twinmax and a harbor fright vacuum brake bleeder and it will all cost the same as one dealer service then the others are cheap DIY. I do two friends BMW RTs with the same tools and it works out well.

If this process is too much too often, look into a Wee or V-Strom or some others suggested. I like my GSA and enjoy doing the services and like riding it as it does what I want, where I want, when I want with a feel only a GSA has, it is an easy bike to ride.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #28
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 18,214

All the really cool guys are riding one of these.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #29
my3sons59 OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the information. Would you say the TEX is as dependable & bullet proof as a Jap bike? And, with low overall cost of ownership?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jon View Post
I have to agree with Lee on this one. Don't discount the Explorer because of some magazine article you've read. I don't put much stock in what some of the ride reports from some of these so called bike magazines put out. A lot depends on your physical size & strength not to mention your riding abilities. (No, I am not that great of a rider.) I won't take my TEX into some of the timbers that I take my KLR into, but she'll go anywhere else I want to take her as long as it doesn't get too technicle. Once these Tourances wear out & I put some decent 70/30 or 60/40 tires on her, she'll do even better. By the way, I turned 60 last fall and I'm 6'4" & 240 pounds. Some of the best advice given here so far is to go to different dealers, take several test rides, and buy the one that puts the biggest smile on your face!

Old 04-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #30
my3sons59 OP
Adventurer

Dang good-looking bike! Tell me about it:
how long you've had it?
how many miles?
how dependable is it?
if it has a low cost of ownership?
are handlebar buzz & mirror vibrations an issue?
etc. (anything else you care to add)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post

All the really cool guys are riding one of these.