ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #46
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudhopper View Post
I only found an account that prolonged submersion of the CARC can cause water to enter through the ventilation valve (the valve that BMW doesnt have, which is causing most of their FD issues),
Oh, you mean the one that was added back in early 2010? My 2010 had a vent in the FD.

Guys, if you have to do spec bashing, than at least check what you're talking about ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #47
stevie88
That's gotta hurt
 
stevie88's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: The place dad always warned me about
Oddometer: 18,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Oh, you mean the one that was added back in early 2010? My 2010 had a vent in the FD.

Guys, if you have to do spec bashing, than at least check what you're talking about ...
Well gee whiz, don't go getting your panties in a wad. The fact that BMW didn't vent that fucker until 2010 is reason enough to bash them. That is seriously stupid, but not as stupid as "lubed for life" was back in 05.
__________________
In Russia we have saying, "if it isn't broke, don't fix it". We also say, "if it is broke, don't fix it".
stevie88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #48
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
Well gee whiz, don't go getting your panties in a wad. The fact that BMW didn't vent that fucker until 2010 is reason enough to bash them. That is seriously stupid, but not as stupid as "lubed for life" was back in 05.
Well, Mr. KnowItAll, there are reasons to have an unvented, and there are reasons to have a vented final drive. BMW switched back and forth at least two times I'm aware of.

Lubed for life was probably stupid, vented vs. non-vented has reasons for both and if you think you can bash anybody because of that, it says more about you than about the company doing it ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #49
stevie88
That's gotta hurt
 
stevie88's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: The place dad always warned me about
Oddometer: 18,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Well, Mr. KnowItAll, there are reasons to have an unvented, and there are reasons to have a vented final drive. BMW switched back and forth at least two times I'm aware of.

Lubed for life was probably stupid, vented vs. non-vented has reasons for both and if you think you can bash anybody because of that, it says more about you than about the company doing it ...
Oh really? So bashing BMW is off limits unless you first approve the subject matter? Got it.
__________________
In Russia we have saying, "if it isn't broke, don't fix it". We also say, "if it is broke, don't fix it".
stevie88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #50
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
Oh really? So bashing BMW is off limits unless you first approve the subject matter? Got it.
You know. Being what you are is your decision - I don't need to name it, you can bash whoever you want on whatever grounds you want. As I said: it tells more about you than about anybody else.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #51
stevie88
That's gotta hurt
 
stevie88's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: The place dad always warned me about
Oddometer: 18,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
You know. Being what you are is your decision - I don't need to name it, you can bash whoever you want on whatever grounds you want. As I said: it tells more about you than about anybody else.
Why does it get to you to the extent you feel the need to respond? Maybe I need to step out to the garage and apologize to the two BMW's parked there for hurting their feelings.
__________________
In Russia we have saying, "if it isn't broke, don't fix it". We also say, "if it is broke, don't fix it".
stevie88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #52
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
Maybe I need to step out to the garage and apologize to the two BMW's parked there for hurting their feelings.
Might be a good start.

And for the rest: I decide myself when I stop responding to a discussion. I'm just generally not doing it at a point where I'm disagreeing and me stopping to respond only makes you think you made a valid point.

To get back to the discussion: I don't think that vented or unvented final drives are good or bad by any definition. Therefore the Guzzi and the BMW now returning to vented versions means very likely only that for the targeted owner group which rides 99.99% on roads and never cross a water stream a vented system is better because it handles temperature and internal pressure changes better. But it certainly has some disadvantages based on exactly the same physical problems: you cool it down quickly, it'll suck in water and contaminate the oil.

So, overall, I think the vented system is better for most riders. Is being non-vented the main reason for failing final drives? I don't think so. It's just one piece in a big puzzle to make it better for most riders.

Coming back to the original question, I don't think ANY of this is relevant when looking at today's versions of these bikes. They are all very reliable, go big distances. And you can always get a specific that gives you trouble. No matter from which manufacturer.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:28 PM   #53
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Big Jon's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: SW Iowa
Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sons59 View Post
Thanks for the information. Would you say the TEX is as dependable & bullet proof as a Jap bike? And, with low overall cost of ownership?
The TEX has only been available for a little over a year, so the jury is still out on the dependability and how bullet proof it is. I brought mine home a year ago next month & haven't spent a dime on it except for the 1st 500 mile checkup. (But I've got less than 5,000 miles on it.) Ask me the same question 5 years from now... I will say this. If It was totaled out tomorrow, I'd have another new one ordered before the weekend. By the way, just for a bit of perspective, all the rest of my new bikes since 1971 have been Jap bikes.
__________________
JON
Big Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:15 AM   #54
kirb
should be out riding
 
kirb's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Musky, MI
Oddometer: 1,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sons59 View Post
Here are some of the bikes that I’ve considered, but most have been eliminated because they don’t meet the criteria on my wish list:

* Triumph XC: I hear it has a s-m-o-o-t-h engine, but it was eliminated because it has chain drive & a relatively small engine (although I probably could have learned to live with the 800 engine).
* Ducati MS: probably too fast/zippy for an ole fart like me (although I would welcome the opportunity to learn to live with that :-)), but eliminated because I read that Ducati has spotty reliability
* Triumph Explorer: once again, smooth & revvy engine, but I read that it sucks off road…way too front heavy…front bogs down…goes where it wants to
* Moto Guzzi Stelvio: I read several reviews, and it sounded great…until I read that it vibrates like a son-of-a-gun. Handlebars vibrate so bad that your hands go numb, and mirrors vibrate so bad that they’re worthless
* KTM 990: chain drive
* BMW GS/GSA: THIS WAS MY TOP CHOICE. I LOVE THE STYLING & LOOKS…but I won’t even consider one because of the absurdly high cost of ownership and maintenance (from what I've read).
* Honda Crosstourer: Hondas have served me very well for decades, so the CT just might be the ticket...if they ever bring it to the US.
* Yamaha Super Tenere: If Honda doesn’t bring the CT to the US (and even if they do), then I’m looking strongly at the S10. Some call it boring with “no soul”, but from what I’ve read, it sounds like a great bike that meets most of the criteria on my wish list.
Tri 800- You should really ride it.
Ducati- you should really ride it. Ducati of old isn't Ducati of new
Tri 1200- You should really ride it. 600lbs bike off road, what do you expect?
Guzzi NTX- You should really ride it. Buy a brammo if you are looking for an electric-motor smooth bike. It's not at all bad, for real men. Actually, it's pretty good.
KTM- It's not for babies. This is what you ride if you really want to ride off-road. It's not what you ride to starbucks.
BMW- This sounds like the bike for you. Cost? It's high, but what are you expecting?
YS10- From your comments about the NTX and BMW I would say that this is the bike for you. Case closed, move along.
__________________
A Ducati, some Guzzi, a KTM, and a Excelsior...Indian in resto.
kirb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:58 AM   #55
bmac
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sons59 View Post
* Honda Crosstourer: Hondas have served me very well for decades, so the CT just might be the ticket...if they ever bring it to the US.
* Yamaha Super Tenere: If Honda doesn’t bring the CT to the US (and even if they do), then I’m looking strongly at the S10. Some call it boring with “no soul”, but from what I’ve read, it sounds like a great bike that meets most of the criteria on my wish list.
This is not a difficult question to answer even though several respondents seemed committed to derailing your preference

Your thoughts were exactly the same as mine. I am the same age as you and I previously rode a 2006 Yamaha FJR1300. It was a great bike but it was fairly heavy and not real comfortable over the long haul. I decided to make the move to an "Adventure" bike and looked at all options. Most of my riding will be on the road but I wanted to be able to hit the unpaved roads as well. I narrowed it down to 2 choices the S10 and the Crosstourer. Since I live in the US I could have died of old age waiting for American Honda to import the Crosstourer. American Honda does not have a clue and does not appear to have learned anything from one mistake after another. The built the VFR1200 with a great motor in a bike that no one was asking for and were surprised when it did not sell worth a crap.

That leaves one bike the S10. Overall, it is excellent. I am 6'3" so I needed to make a few changes with the windscreen and seat but other than that it is just about perfect for rider comfort.

As a side note, I also picked up a 2012 Goldwing mainly for my wife who has been riding with me much more frequently. The Goldwing is very comfy and has great power but if I was leaving tomorrow for a 2000 mile ride by myself I would take the S10.

Good Luck!
bmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:14 AM   #56
craigincali
Just hanging around
 
craigincali's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: A town called Hell
Oddometer: 1,981
I am in the same dilemma. I have lusted over a BMW GSA since 1998 when I first saw one at the Grand Canyon. I have had plenty of bikes since but I still lusted over that damn BMW.

I have ridden the KTM (950) wasnt anything special just a big dirt bike. Rode it on the freeway and dirt. Pretty capable dirt bike but not the kind of thing I would buy for 80% asphalt.

I rode the Triumph 1200. IMO its a big fat pig. It just felt heavy and "cheap". Great motor but that was about it.

I have ridden the S10 great bike!, I have nothing negative to say about it.

Rode the 1200GSA LOVED IT ! Nothing negative to say about it either.

Problem is that I still LUST after that BMW !!! My mind is telling my the S10 is teh practical choice, less maintence, lower cost, more dealers etc. But my heart says GSA ! I dont think I will ever be satisfied with a bike until I have a GSA. My next bike, a BMW 1200GSA.

My point being that sometimes you have to go with your heart because you may never be saitfied until you get that thing you have set your eye on for many years.
__________________
Me
I am usually drunk when I post so dont take it personally !
2010 KTM 990
craigincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #57
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 16,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigincali View Post
My point being that sometimes you have to go with your heart because you may never be saitfied until you get that thing you have set your eye on for many years.
That's where heartbreak comes from. Just kidding. I agree they are a very very nice bike.

I've just seen the dark side and am not tempted enough to have one as a primary ride.

I hope your heart was right for you.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #58
Cloudhopper
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Dublin
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigincali View Post
My point being that sometimes you have to go with your heart because you may never be saitfied until you get that thing you have set your eye on for many years.
That.

There is no point in buying a motorbike for any other reason than the heart. Make a shortlist, go to the dealers, ride them (possibly for a weekend) and listen to your heart.
Buy the bike that grabs you by the hand and leads you onto an adventure of smiles and laughter. Nothing else matters.

Ride safe, ride smiling.
__________________
Bikes:
Moto Guzzi Stelvio
BMW F650GS
Cloudhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #59
bmac
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigincali View Post
Rode the 1200GSA LOVED IT ! Nothing negative to say about it either.

Problem is that I still LUST after that BMW !!! My mind is telling my the S10 is teh practical choice, less maintence, lower cost, more dealers etc. But my heart says GSA ! I dont think I will ever be satisfied with a bike until I have a GSA. My next bike, a BMW 1200GSA.
Easy choice, go with the BMW. You have already waited too long. Buy one now!
bmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #60
Ricky Rocket
Adventurer
 
Ricky Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Lebanon, Connecticut -- Good 'ol US of A!
Oddometer: 52
I've ridden and owned a lot of bikes over the years. I just picked up a K1300S for sport touring; my "adventure" bike is a Honda XR650L. I've always wanted a BMW (that "lust" thing), and figured what the hell....if It doesn't work out for me it'll hold its value and I'll just sell it. Life is too short to spend debating all the pros and cons forever (the paralysis of analysis!). I'm 54 and still buying and selling.....I guess you just gotta bite the bullet, shut off the computer, and go riding!
Ricky Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014