User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #76
oscar95
Wagonmaster

Oddometer: 54
Wink Best Dual Sport.for the North

Brother you say you are a big guy , Check out my Varadero custom Desert Storm Camo . Its loaded and if I was a bit taller it would be perfect for me. It is a great off roader. Pm me and I will put you in touch with some other lads who with me rode to Inuvik and over the Rockies on them last year.

More gumption than a strom , Honda's legendary reliability and way cheaper than the BMW ( whats that ,Bring My Wallet) you say.

Oscar
oscar95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #77
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Try more air in your Airhawk.
Did that and running it that way at the moment. Not certain whether I like it or not. It's a weird feeling, like a not properly filled water bed.

Regarding wind protection: the only bikes I've ridden so far where I wouldn't want to change the windshield immediately are the new water cooled GS and the RT. All others need at least angle adjusters or different shields.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #78
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Did that and running it that way at the moment. Not certain whether I like it or not. It's a weird feeling, like a not properly filled water bed.

It does take a couple miles to get used to. Going into corners you butt slide a little
on the seat. Seat set up can be as individual as bike preference. Everyone I've let use
my Airhawk on a ride has bought their own after the trip.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #79
bmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
The problem is that it doesn't matter what others say.

For what you "learn" here - I think it's useless information. Because there are no absolute definitions for what feels "comfortable", "buzzy", "powerful", "heavy" or "light". Therefore, all you get is one persons opinion on a bike they own, owned, or have ridden. Given that you come from a different perspective, are a different person, have different anatomy, all this information is basically completely useless to you.
If any of this crap above was true there would be no use for product reviews of any sort.

The fact is that many folks have similar opinions of vehicles or products. If 9 out of 10 folks say a certain vehicle is "buzzy" or "heavy" the chances are the next rider would also experience the same observations. It is not a guaranty but it is extremely likely.

When one reads through all the opinions with their BS filter on they can still gain a ton of useful information from other folks.
bmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #80
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
If any of this crap above was true there would be no use for product reviews of any sort.
As long as product reviews use measurable metrics they are worth something. As soon as it's just "opinion", they are useless in my opinion.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #81
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
As long as product reviews use measurable metrics they are worth something. As soon as it's just "opinion", they are useless in my opinion.
Well your opinion is therefore useless because you are SAE and not metric.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #82
cug
--

Quote:
Well your opinion is therefore useless because you are SAE and not metric.
Uneducated guess. My horrible English and my bad manners and straight forward in your face discussion style should have told you that I'm German - metric of course ...
Old 04-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #83
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Uneducated guess. My horrible English and my bad manners and straight forward in your face discussion style should have told you that I'm German - metric of course ...
For sure not Whitworth.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #84
cug
--

Quote:
For sure not Whitworth.
Now you got me - what does that mean?
Old 04-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #85
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Now you got me - what does that mean?
Your old neighbor the Brits system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standard_Whitworth
Old 04-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #86
cug
--

Ugh. I hope no adventure bikes for old farts around with that ...
Old 04-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #87
bmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Well, on this subject we agree, your opinion is useless to me.

For most motorcyclists metrics only tell a small portion of the story. Most of us ride to have fun and put a smile on our face. Very few of us, and virtually no one on this forum, look at motorcycles from a pure "mode of transportation" standpoint.

Several things matter to most folks, price, brand, reliability and performance are some key areas. But they only tell a portion of the story and rarely, if ever, is a decision to buy a motorcycle based solely on metrics.

How do you feel when you look at it, or ride it, or just know it is sitting in the garage whenever you are ready. Do you smile when you think about riding it home after work, meeting up with your buddies, or taking it out for a long weekend. None of these are measurable but it is the reason most of us ride. This is where others opinions really do help us as we look for our next motorcycle. The passion some folks feel about certain bikes is contagious and makes life worth living.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #88
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
For most motorcyclists metrics only tell a small portion of the story.
If you had actually bothered to think about what I wrote, you'd find out that this is exactly what I was saying since the first post ...

Only that I also say that people are different and that the big portion outside of any measurable information about the bike is very, very personal. Therefore it cannot be transferred properly from one rider to the next. Therefore each one has to build his own opinion on it ...

But whatever. I won't get into that that again. You either get what I mean or you don't. I couldn't care less what it actually is.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #89
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Woohoo, now that you boys are finally finished agreeing with each other, let's see if My3sons is learning anything from all of this...
Old 04-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #90
bmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
If you had actually bothered to think about what I wrote, you'd find out that this is exactly what I was saying since the first post ...

Only that I also say that people are different and that the big portion outside of any measurable information about the bike is very, very personal. Therefore it cannot be transferred properly from one rider to the next. Therefore each one has to build his own opinion on it ...

But whatever. I won't get into that that again. You either get what I mean or you don't. I couldn't care less what it actually is.

I clearly stated other folks opinions can provide some insight without having to test ride everything yourself. What don't you understand? It is really not that difficult.

The OP stated very clearly that riding all the bikes on the list was anything but practical and he needed to narrow the field and that is why he reached out and started the thread. You told him this can not be done and I said it can.

Go back and reread post 61. The OP is seeking opinions on bikes so stop trying to derail his thread and telling him he is nuts to listen to anyone else. He already told he does not agree with you, and neither do I. Test rides in many areas of the country and not even possible. Very often decisions have to be made without actually riding the motorcycle and that is where this forum can provide some insight.

To the OP. Good luck with your search and I hope folks will continue to post with their suggestions to help you with your search. I found the folks around here extremely helpful before I settled on the S10 and I was not able to ride one before I had to decide. No regrets.

bmac screwed with this post 04-14-2013 at 06:19 PM