Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 07:56 AM   #31
cory1848
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Interesting to see how this trip goes as well. As a new 800XC owner I would love to do a long distance trip like this. Please give updates on equipment and how the bike is going, what you wish you had or didnt need, etc.

Safe travels!
cory1848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #32
stamp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltyParty View Post
And I thought he was telling Patty about the intercomm so me and her could chat...sneaky devil

Nailed it mate, cheers

Got your esky's (panniers) ready for ice and beers yet or you going soft luggage?

excellent glad it worked, think I will use the ardcases, that way I can fit all the beer in and a frying pan of course
stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:40 AM   #33
DANNOj
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,154
Craig & Patty, you are champions for having the balls to embark on something like this. From the slopes of the Vic High Country a few short years ago, to to an epic crossing taking you a third of the way around the world..... who would have thought!

I guess its not like Oz where I can say "give me a yell if you need a trailer or a lift if you get stuck". But keep my work email or gmail handy if you need any help at all with anything!

And for old times sake (and to remind you of how experienced you have become) here is a reminder from that legendary High Country trip....

(Patty, its OK, this never happens on an XC!!)

Cheers
Dan

DANNOj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #34
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNOj View Post
Is that the lad? Nice crash landing. He's still having trouble with that middle finger.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:08 AM   #35
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNOj View Post
Craig & Patty, you are champions for having the balls to embark on something like this. From the slopes of the Vic High Country a few short years ago, to to an epic crossing taking you a third of the way around the world..... who would have thought!

I guess its not like Oz where I can say "give me a yell if you need a trailer or a lift if you get stuck". But keep my work email or gmail handy if you need any help at all with anything!

And for old times sake (and to remind you of how experienced you have become) here is a reminder from that legendary High Country trip....

(Patty, its OK, this never happens on an XC!!)

Cheers
Dan
It was you that got me into this whole adventure gig mate and it really doesn't seem that long ago at all that we wheeled the KLX into the garage. I had a moment yesterday where the gravity of what we're about to do hit me and it was a bloody good feeling. Can't wait!!!

I knew that photo would come back to haunt me...plus the many others that you have I learnt a lot on that trip but you taught me one very important lesson...

That as peaceful as things may seem...

and we're all happy faces and in our element....

KTM's just weren't meant to swim...

Thanks for the offer of assistance mate, if the XC gets stuck in a tree again I'll be calling you up

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Is that the lad? Nice crash landing. He's still having trouble with that middle finger.
The finger got a good workout that trip. Also notice the scowl behind those goggles? Thats because Danno loved a good photo opportunity and got the snap from at least 4 different angles before lifting the bike off me
Old 04-26-2013, 12:19 AM   #36
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
The finger got a good workout that trip. Also notice the scowl behind those goggles? Thats because Danno loved a good photo opportunity and got the snap from at least 4 different angles before lifting the bike off me
That's what mates are for. i.e. future embarrassment.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #37
DANNOj
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
That's what mates are for. i.e. future embarrassment.
Cheers to that!

Old 04-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #38
DANNOj
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
KTM's just weren't meant to swim...
Finding Nemo!

Old 04-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #39
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,062
congrats for putting trip together!!!
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #40
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Oddometer: 313
Success!!!

We're now Day 3 into the trip sitting in a hotel room just outside Geneva cooking spaghetti bolognaise in the room and drinking beers ...which means we scored the multiple entry business visa along with the Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan visas . We paid a premium for the Russian visa (£240 each) but it was next day service as promised.

With our belongings fully packed and on a ship to oz it was time to say farewell to the UK.

We made a pit stop via Adam's house (inmate stamp) who's planning to join us for the first two weeks then peel off at some point to get back to the UK. Ashamedly he carried our red backpack because it was causing Patty to lean forward on the bike because of the luggage behind her. So early on in the trip we're still carrying quite a bit of extra stuff left over from moving out that we wanted to make the most o - things like spices, half-full shampoo bottles, pastas that sort of thing. As the trip goes on and that stuff gets used the bike will get progressively lighter and lighter.

Waiting at the ferry at Dover

Once we were off the ferry and adjusted to riding on the right had side of the road it was time to make some ground. The bike is only doing about 60mpg after dropping the front sprocket to a 15 tooth but the change is worth it for the pulling power.

We passed a couple of British cemeteries and felt quite bad for not stopping and paying our respects. We stopped at this one (Cabaret Rouge) and the number of graves was bewildering

ThiThere were many many more after that...

After making some reasonable progress it was time to find a camp spot, and we stumbled upon this cluster of woods. This was all our first time wild camping so when two blokes appeared we were a little jumpy...but after indicating we just wanted to stay a night they seemed ok. Adam made the comment they were probably casing a plant and equipment joint not too far away

Going camo...except the blue tent

With the threat of rain looming we made a quick brekky and broke camp

Two wheels is better than 8

Somewhere....

We found a great little spot to wild camp again, away from the main road on flat ground with a little hut for tap water.

Patty had a funny feeling about it and really didn't want to stay there because it had a couple of weird things like this bracket for hanging up culled animals (?) but it was starting to get a little late so we decided to stay.

But then half way through setting up the tents we saw this, what looked like a bunch of sticks on top of a mound. It wasn't the sticks themselves because maybe they were arranged like that to dry, but it was where they were located, like, not out the back of the hut like a normal person but amongst all the trees in an out of the way place. Then we started to look around and saw some other weird things...then we legged it and got the hell out of there

So we camped here instead and when it rained Adam jigged up this neat little rig

800xc the beauty table

Roadside cafe

View of a valley in the Alps where we stopped for tea

Top of the alps before dropping down into Geneva

When we stopped in Geneva a guy came up to us and wanted to know if we needed any help and he suggested a couple of places. One of them was this place called Yvoire, a medieval town teeming with tourists but still pretty cool (by this point the DSLR had died so I was taking pics with the GPS)

We didn't cover a lot of miles today, actually we probably spent more time trying to find a hotel than actually getting here. We later found out it's a public holiday, not cause the french like taking it easy

Total spend in 3 days for 2 people over 600 miles - 170 euro (50 of that for tonights hotel). Review of gear needed to reduce size and weight.

Tomorrow we go to Mont Blanc
Old 05-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #41
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,551
....bon voyage young fella et al....

Keep safe to you all....enjoy your time...

If you get a chance try this great cable car ride,just below Mont Blanc...makes for an excellent photo shoot if the weather is good...take a back pack picnic to save some creds...leaves from Chamonix.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aiguille_du_midi

(Can you size your pictures bigger?....I use tinypic.com and resize them to a 17 inch screen when uploading...free site also lol)

Tell Adam to get his hair cut...

Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.

WIBO screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 02:09 PM
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:49 AM   #42
redhotred
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hi - Hope all is going good just wondrn where are you now...love you///

Quote:
Hi All, I debated about whether to start a thread now or later because the trip may never start like we had hoped. My girlfriend and I have both made a snap decision to leave our jobs in the UK and go back to Oz with an aim of making it to Magadan via the Balkans and the 'stans. Departure is 7th May, today's date is 9th April, and we don't have a single visa.

Mid-march some time Noah who's riding RTW at the moment (thread http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893) emailed me and fellow inmate stampy asking when we're going to join him and the answer was "sorry mate, not enough time to arrange visas and stuff we're gonna leave it to next year" - one week later - "see ya in Russia dude!"

I don't think a trip like this ever truly happens on a snap decision though, it all starts with a seed that was planted many moons ago and slowly begins to form in your mind until eventually something changes and you throw caution to the wind and do it. That's at least how it started out for me. It was a restructure at work that said now's the time to do it, before kids and all that.

The wheels have been in motion for a couple of weeks to get the LOI for a multiple entry business for Russia, an Uzbekistan LOI and the passport is now at the Kazakh embassy for that visa. Realistically we don't expect to have all the visas before we leave but if we can get the Russian, Kazakh and Azerbaijan one before we leave it will at least allow us to go east. We'll get the Georgian and Turkish visa at the border and then we'll get the Tajik and the Mongolian in places we stop long enough to wash ourselves.

One of the harder decisions was what to call the thread without letting one's insecurities take over. One glance at the thread names there are things like 'Solo trip through Siberia, Bam Road and Mongolia', 'First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old' and other such incredible feats, so it was hard to pick a name that would generate some mild interest. I called my trip through South America 'No house, no job, no girlfriend' which to me eloquently stated - do whatever the fuck you want. Now we're paying off a house, and I have a girlfriend...maybe the next major trip will be the trifecta A 'walkabout' is a rite of passage for Aborigines and basically means venturing into the bush to fend for yourself. We plan to get off the beaten track as much as time allows and to wild camp most nights. Every third night we'll stay in a hotel / hostel / whatever, so long as we can freshen up and we don't need to pitch a tent. The Touratech hair dryer and Touratech straightener are coming too (compact ones of course) - pretty sure they didn't have them in the Dreamtime. I did remind her there's no power on the Mongolian plains but that hasn't stopped her. We all need our comforts.

We've done a fair bit of practice trips together just around the UK and I'm pretty confident the bike is up to the task.

Every now and again my girlfriend (inmate new-rider) will chip in with her updates as well.

Bike service and prep starts on Friday
redhotred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:24 AM   #43
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,553
Yes! Looking forward to riding with you again man.

Now... did you get my email?
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:03 AM   #44
davey1212
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Travelling in opposite direction !!

http://travelpod.com/members/davey1212

Hi, It all looks good so far and I hope you both have a great journey.
I said I would give you my blog address and the thread on this site is "Grumpy travels the Americas". All good so far but I need to find a bike shop for Scottoil etc as I couldn't bring and on the plane. I had no luck with the pre-filter either as the company & the MD failed to respond to my e mails. The UK rep said he would try but have not heard anything.
Anyway, have a read and I hope to keep up with your thread when I can.

ps. You ALWAYS have too much luggage but not enough when you need it !!

Dave
davey1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:20 AM   #45
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey1212 View Post
I need to find a bike shop for Scottoil
Any old two stroke (2T) oil will work.