User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
jkmolt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Gold Wing GL 1000 or 1100 w/sidecar?

Does anyone have or know anyone that has hacked a vintage Gold Wing? Have a lead on one and I'm just wondering what I might be getting into.

Thanks in advances for any replies.

jkmolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
Pago Cruiser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
They are great tugs. I have a GL1200S with a Motorvation hack. The Motorvation guys have hacked several, and still offer parts and great help if you need it.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:46 AM   #3
Sidecarjohn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
By all accounts the clutch was improved on the 1100. Do recall sidecar guys with the 1000 having issues with the clutch. However, reasonable treatment still provided a positive experience. Our from new 1100 was abused and never required any attention to the clutch.

http://www.sidecarjohn.co.uk/
Sidecarjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:54 AM   #4
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,181
For a cheaper lower mounting set, I think "Dauntless" has a boatload of old "Vetter" lower mounts for Goldwings. A friend bought a set last year for less than $200.00 for his 1980 (or 81??) 1100 GL. I mounted up his older Champion sidecar in a day for him...another day to dial things in. It consists of two individual mounts but seemed to work just fine. Not as stout as a one-piece subframe but usable none the less....and cheap. DMC also supplied the upper frame clamps.

I had to "trim" a little plastic for clearance to remount the body panels to clear the upper mounts, but they all went on without major surgery.
Cut a small notch in the right side panel and another notch in the front fairing lower panel.

He picked up the chair / struts / damper for $800.00 + another $300.00 or so for the DMC hardware (+ my free labor). He got set up pretty cheap.

I have a 1977 Naked Goldwing and was originally tempted to install a sidecar, but the bike is so much fun to ride solo I've held off for now.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992

bmwhacker screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 06:04 AM
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:12 AM   #5
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,501
Either bike would do well.I ran a '78 GL1000 for quite a while with various sidecars on it. It did well. Of course we have mounted a lot of sidecars on the 11 and 1200s also. To be on the safe side you may wish to consider replacing the timing belts . Easy job to do and they are not expensive/ Good insurance as Age and/or milage can take their toll on these rubber belts and you DO NOT want to break one.
There are some vintage gold wing discussion forums on the net if you look around.
Claude

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #6
mikejjmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Yes do the timing belts for sure. I am hacking my 93 GL1500 GW. It only has 43000 miles on it, but i did the belts due to the age of the rubber. Well worth it to do now and have 50,000 trouble free miles than wonder when you should do them. Very easy, and lots of good write ups.
mikejjmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #7
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,625
It's been done quite a few times, and the old 'Wings definitely have enough grunt to haul a sidecar around. www.ngwclub.com is the best resource on the net for GL1000s and GL1100s, get on there and ask around, you'll get all the information you need.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:44 AM   #8
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 946
I have owned both. There are enough improvements on the GL1100 to make it work going for over the Gl1000. I put 150K on a GL1100 with a sidecar, Great sidecar bike. Mine was a 1983 Aspencade which has larger front brakes however as I changed the front end over to a used leading link off of an 1982 I had to switch to the 1982 front end which was not a problem at the time as my solo bike was a 1982 Interstate. I also ran an automotive tire on the back of the bike on a custom wheel. The tire was good for about 40K. At the time you could still buy a 145 15 studed snow tire which I ran in the winter. I doubt if you can still get them in this size. The car tire also helped with the gear ratio. On the front I ran an metzler block K as the 1982 and 1983 wings have an 18 inch front wheel. Older wings have a 19 inch front wheel. For years I was telling people that your best bang for the buck in a sidecar bike is a 4 cyl Goldwing with the GL1100 being the best. I prefer it over the GL1200 as it has more power and revs higher so when needed you can run a lower gear. I have stoped telling people that the best bang for the buck is the Goldwing only as they are getting fairly old. My own bike at one point I went over the pass into eastern Washington with the sidecar on the bike (freindship 1), A martin tent trailer in tow (one of the heviest trailers ever made for motorcycles) a Kenna sidecar on top of the tent trailer that was for sale and every thing to cook for 200 people. We checked how heavy it was at a truck scale 2700 lbs. We went over the pass at 65mph in 3rd gear at 6500 RPM
Great bike.
And yes we still have the Vetter lower mounts $100, Missing bolts, instructions and looking like they have been stored very poorly for over 30 years as they have been. We also make a mounting kit for the bike that puts the lower rear mount under the exahust pipe which as it ends up the same distance off of the ground as the front lower mount makes it much easier to align.
We also offer a leading link front end for the GL1100, Have not built it in years but still have the jigs $2500
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
www.dmcsidecars.com
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #9
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,181
Another friend set up this Gold Wing. I think it's a Ural chair. (?) He initially used a free bearing on the "propeller" but it spun so fast that he was afraid it would come flying off. He ended up tightening the bearing to limit the RPM's.

I like his cargo tray. Hauls extra gas or whatever. His passenger rode without a windscreen. My Wife couldn't handle that on our rig. I installed an 18" screen on our little Jupiter hack.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote