User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
JonW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Project XT500 Supermoto

A few of you may have seen me posting this build on other places as I frequent a lot of the 2stroke forums, but I know you guys enjoy something like this, and I also know how many hours Ive spent enjoying (my wife would say 'wasting' but she knows nothing!) the build threads on this wonderful forum!

Anyway.... I started writing up my XT500 supermoto project for my website, so if anyone is interested then the start of it, ie why I wanted to do this project:

Jon's Yamaha XT500 Supermoto project

Bike was them part mocked up and part built... and looked like this... it would be white when its done not orange, i was just using what i had around.

Thanks to all who have supported the Omega PloProf book at DeskDivers.com - it's very much appreciated

JonW screwed with this post 04-09-2013 at 05:23 PM
JonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
JonW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Things then went a bit slower... waiting for parts as ever is the hassle with any build in this part of the world...

I finally sorted the rear brake and managed to fit the KTM OEM Brembo. I was thinking of using other underslung calipers but in the end managed to get this to fit, phew!

You can also see ive used the Motolana SR500 swingarm and some new YSS shocks. both nice kit.

I also tidied up the brake and speedo runs up the forks and a bunch of other front end stuff like the headlight (12v now - using info from the DT forum) and LED indicators. Also fitted some cool-but-too-short GSG brackets to hold on the light. Rebuilt clocks also now on.

Yeah... not a great pic, but this is pretty much where I am now.. still need to get a new seat and paint the tank (plus get the dents out), source and fit the exhaust and sort out details stuff like the airbox, rear brake reservior etc etc..

Thanks to all who have supported the Omega PloProf book at DeskDivers.com - it's very much appreciated
Old 04-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
JonW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I should give you some specs...

- KTM WP 50mm extreme forks. lowered as per info on this very forum and the steering stem pressed out and turned down then shimmed to fit the XT bearings.

- KTM OEM 17inch Supermoto wheels (Excel rims, stainless spokes etc)

- Motor refreshed with 10:1 piston, oil line and TM36 mikuni

- parts that were not bought anew were blasted and painted and frame is powdered satin black.

- Many many new parts from uncle Yamaha. I couldn't believe just how much of each page of the parts guide was available compared to other bikes Ive built. Amazing.

- Many many new parts from Kedo and Vintagespoke as well... most you just dont see, but they are there all the same. ie the stainless wide pegs. yum!

- 12v conversion - C90 regulator, M Factory indicators and LED flasher, Kedo headlight kit, MB3U battery and some customs wiring where needed.

- TAG fatbars and SRX master cylinder as the OEM KTM broke into a million pieces the first time i used it! Larger disk and 4pot caliper to come later...

- Clocks rebuilt and came up clean under the grime and rust/dents.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
Valleyrider
I Survived The '60s

Oddometer: 1,836
I'm In!!! Just finished my TT500 flattracker and want to see what you have up your sleeve.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48000856@N06/
Valleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
JonW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks, means a lot coming from another yamaha 500 builder.

This was what i started with:

This was my initial mockup when i loosely fitted the KTM forks (run thru the triples) and the KTM rear wheel. Proved the point as things lined up better than I expected they would.

I measured the standard geometry and things came out very close when the work was done.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 902
Thumb

I'm in too - from a fellow TT500 owner
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
JonW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

haha, cool! I knew we had a few XT/TT owners on the forum, but very few posts about these bikes which surprised me. welcome aboard this rough ride!

Old 04-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #8
teledan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Another XT500 owner here. I am liking the bike man! Here's mine:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877524
teledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #9
robtg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Bike looks great. Another XT,SR rider here.
robtg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #10
JonW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

haha, out of the woodwork they come. cooool!

Rob love the cafe! To be honest I only really posted my thread as I saw yours teledan and also Willies Flattracker, I was getting the feeling ADV had little love for the old XT, but seems I was wrong, and I'm very happy about that indeed.

Another local guy came over last night and was loving the XT SM. He was enjoying the integration of the new parts in with the old lines, which is what Ive found is my specialty when it comes to building up my kind of modded 'custom' bikes. I can see he was itching to see it done and beg to take it for a spin. But before that happens the seat and exhaust system needs to get here, and tank needs to be done... I'll post up some before shots of the tank in a mo...

Old 04-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #11
JonW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I dropped the tank to the painter to remove the dents and paint it up. I also supplied the decals as I got them from Reproduction Decals a while back. The painter said the decals were usable as they were not layered, and we all know painters can be funny about decals as they prefer to do their own. cool.

The problem for my tank is the dents. The aluminum stretches and this means they won't simply pop out. The painter would not give a firm quote but did give me an hourly rate and tell me how long they thought... and yeah, it isn't going to be cheap that's for sure, but they are the best painters in Sydney by reputation and basically the only place anyone I spoke to would trust with such work. These tanks are no very hard to find and most are dented now, the curse of it being an off road bike... no wonder new dirt bike tanks are all plastic!

So here are the 'before' shots... I expect to get the tank back in about 2 months all done... let's see how it looks when its back...

Originally when I got it it was in 1980 colours,

I don't like these dull colours and as the bike is now white, not black, so the scheme wouldn't work at all. I stripped off all the paint and decals and removed some of the corrosion and polished it up a bit to see what it might look like and check for extra damage, but its ok, phew.

The right side isn't too bad with only a small dimple, and of course that is the easiest side to fix... sigh... the left side is much worse and much harder to fix.

The top is the worst of all, but this is covered by paint and not polished so not quite such a drama.

Wish me luck, if the guy can squeeze the dents into a short timescale my wallet would be happy... we'll see.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #12
teledan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Nice! I would love to get the dents out of my tank and polish it up.
teledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:20 AM   #13
Highside>Lowside
Hairier Than Thou

Oddometer: 1,053
Street titled TT500 owner here. Will be watching closely.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:16 AM   #14
JonW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah Teledan, my worry is going to be the scary cost, but the rest of the bike has been treated to money spent, so I figured why not... just dont let my mrs read this!

Highside/lowside, cool, do you have a thread for your bike? Id love to see it.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #15
JonW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok, Exhaust pics...

I decided that I wanted this to be nice 'n shiny to match the tank and swinger...

Really like the look of this small silencer/muffler and its nice quality (as is the whole system) in the metal. Kedo do a black version of the silencer, but for me it had to be polished stainless on this bike.

I was surprised to find that the header swings quite far forward and then around, probably to straighten the flow of the gasses, but its longer than I thought it would be from the pics.

... but I do now wonder if perhaps the header-to-cylinderhead fitting didn't need a gasket and just a blob of sealant? hmm.. as this pipe being a little forward led to the S pipe bracket not lining up, and necessitating me making a bracket.

The bracket works well, but I feel I shouldn't have had to do that, lucky the system is light and not going anywhere as its held by the cylinder head studs and the silencer mount.

Next job was the air filter. This hit against the lower guard. Such a shame as trying to get it in has crinkled the filter, tho I was able to straighten it a bit from the inside and i'm sure a litlle crinkle is not an issue for airflow in reality.

I will get the heatgun out on the lower mudguard and try and get it all to fit when I get a chance and I am finishing up that part of the bike. So for now there is of course no rear guard fitted...