Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #16
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,369
oh, yeah.... that's gonna be a bad little beeotch!.....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #17
JonW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
haha! Thanks Dave!

Thanks to all who have supported the Omega PloProf book at DeskDivers.com - it's very much appreciated
JonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #18
muztt500
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
hey nice build mate...
good to see another XT motarded here in Australia...
and nice work to.
muztt500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:53 AM   #19
JonW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks, the kind words are appreciated Muz, Hunter eh? youre not that far from me either. Some great roads up your way.

Thanks to all who have supported the Omega PloProf book at DeskDivers.com - it's very much appreciated
Old 04-28-2013, 03:31 AM   #20
muztt500
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
yes mate great roads... and my tard is heaps of fun on them...

may be one day we could catch up for a ride... would be cool to get some pic's of them together...
muztt500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:57 AM   #21
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 900
Thumb

Mutz - That bike of yours always makes me grin - well smart
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:17 AM   #22
JonW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muztt500 View Post

may be one day we could catch up for a ride... would be cool to get some pic's of them together...
Absolutely thats a great idea, I cant think of too many places where you would find two XT SMs in one place, would be a hell of a fun day out too :)

I'll give you a shout when mine is finally built and tuned and lets hook up.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #23
BigDave75
Will Work for Food!

Oddometer: 1,734
Beautiful Bike!!!
Old 05-02-2013, 05:07 AM   #24
JonW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Dave, tho I fear you mean Muzz not me... LOL

Great news! My wheel spacers have arrived.

While my bike has looked quite complete for a while, the wheels are only loosely fitted as the spacers are only what I made up quickly to get sizes and check the chain run. I would always need to replace them with proper units before the bike was completed.

As usual with those who build customised bikes, I struggled to find someone who would make me up some spacers and I didn't have anything the right size lying around.

I know many guys say 'just ask your tame local engineering firm, they will knock some up in their lunchtime for beer money' but A) I don't have a tame local engineering firm, and B) the no-so-local firms just didn't want to know, so are not tame. It certainly seems that where I live in Sydney, the concept of old-skool engineering firms helping out a biker in a lunch break is a thing very much of the past, no one offered to whip some up for me for a 6pack or donation to the tea fund, they all wanted to quote the job on paperwork with an hourly rate. Sigh.

So... I gave up locally and I asked around and found a mate of mine would make them, in fact he has been making stuff like this for people for years as he does all sorts of stuff on his mill and lathe and was thinking about offering the service on the forums and sales sites etc. as he is a biker and knows people struggle to get this sort of stuff nowadays. The downside, he is in France. Well, not so much of a downside as he is quick and dependable and post only takes a week, and to be honest the time I saved not having to drive all over Sydney was well worth it! Plus he was cheaper per spacer than anyone locally!

I actually had him make me a couple of different sizes as I wanted to have some leeway to get the chain run and fork widths just right. He was up for that and offered me spacers in steel, bronze, brass or alloy, he wont do Ti as he finds working with it a bit of a pig, and I wasn't that fussed on Ti to be honest, the weight saving on a spacer is minimal considering the extra costs of the material and amount of work involved. Bronze/brass was interesting, and something to keep in mind for a future project, or maybe some spacers that were not on wheel axles, so could be kept clean and polished.

In discussion he has said that he will do a webpage soon. In the meantime if anyone wants anything like this done and cant find anyone locally I can recommend Andy who can be contacted on, Engineering@taboulet.com and his site is: http://www.taboulet.com/engineering/Site/Home.html

So, these arrived today. It's a shame the seals and bearings I ordered the same day from the UK (I wanted SKF bearings, and the best priced seller was in the uk) haven't arrived yet or I would have them fitted already. Grr...!

In other news my NOS seat arrived from Yamaha. Its an 81-on unit and so is longer than the original. Interesting when I flipped it over you can see how Yamaha extended it with a crude rivited on section supporting the longer foam and cover. I fitted refubished hardware as this all NLA now of course.

I still don know if I will use this seat as its a bit long and not the idal look for the bike, but it is supercool to have an original Yamaha seat in one piece, its amazing what you can find for these bikes!

JonW screwed with this post 05-03-2013 at 03:12 PM
Old 05-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #25
JonW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Slow progress, but still progress...

I did a bit to the XT the past week, mostly prompted by the wheel spacers being here, but really only when a few other wheel/brake parts arrived so it was worth pulling the wheels.

I pulled the rear wheel, cleaned it up and then fitted new SKF bearings and seals. I installed new rear brake pads and fabbed and fitted a guide for the rear brake hose. Making the guide/clip took ages, drilling and tapping was quick, but not easy with the shocks fitted of course, there isnt much room to get in between the forks of a swingarm with a drill. I scrubbed the tyre edges and refitted the wheel and tightened the swingarm pin and axle with the weight on the ground. Nice and solid!

The next day I did much the same to the front wheel and cleaned up the front caliper as it was binding, and again fitted new pads as it was probably those and the sliders that were binding.

I also fitted a new smaller front master cylinder reservior from Tyga and used the same unit (it has an angled exit) on the rear as well.

With new bearings and proper spacers and the bolts all done up, the bike feels more planted now and much more 'together' of course, tightening up axles and pins will do that LOL!

Old 05-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #26
Valleyrider
I Survived The '60s

Oddometer: 1,834
More pictures!!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48000856@N06/
Valleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:16 AM   #27
JonW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

haha! too funny Willie! It looks the same, just dustier now...

Old 05-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #28
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by muztt500 View Post

Old 05-18-2013, 06:16 AM   #29
JonW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

me too norton, I hope mine comes out as nice!

Put oil in my bike today, after a few mins I congratulated myself on a job well done as there were no leaks... 20mins later I nipped back into the garage and there was a small pool (Aus 50c/UK 50p/2Euro piece) on the floor... damn... seems I hadn't done the frame drain bolt up... LOL. two twists of the spanner and its been drip free all arvo...

no word on the tank yet... hmm...

Old 05-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #30
Valleyrider
I Survived The '60s

Oddometer: 1,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW View Post
me too norton, I hope mine comes out as nice!

Put oil in my bike today, after a few mins I congratulated myself on a job well done as there were no leaks... 20mins later I nipped back into the garage and there was a small pool (Aus 50c/UK 50p/2Euro piece) on the floor... damn... seems I hadn't done the frame drain bolt up... LOL. two twists of the spanner and its been drip free all arvo...

no word on the tank yet... hmm...
Hmmmm.... Seems someone recently told me "Righty tighty, Lefty loosey"

Wonder who posted that??

Glad you didn't spinout in the oil!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48000856@N06/
Valleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote