Utah Bones
Gas X ready!

Oddometer: 1,604
Keep the pics coming!
Old 04-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #17
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,537
Not my Bike

Here's a BSA bobber that someone locally put together, I'm sure some old sk00l purists will hate it, but I definitely dig this bike.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #18
thesprocket26
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
1983 yamaha midnight maxim XJ750

all new wheel bearings and brakes,

cut off the back half, designed my own mono-shock setup using a buell blast coilover, sportster tank, small fork bag, one side saddle bag, added lawn tractor mufflers to ends of the header pipes and coated high temp gold, my own custom forward controls, etc etc

thesprocket26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:36 PM   #19
BrookTrout
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Here's the Six Fiddy I built a few years ago...

BrookTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:19 AM   #20
ZZ-R Rider
Captain Fantastic

Oddometer: 460
My God! That 650 is gorgeous!!
Old 05-03-2013, 01:27 AM   #21
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-R Rider View Post

Yeah I'd rock the fuck out of that.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:00 AM   #22
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-R Rider View Post
While bobbers aren't really my thing, and I'd probably take an XS in the more usual street tracker direction, I must say, that if a bobber is what you want, that is a very nice example. Very well done!
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:51 AM   #23
ivantheterrible
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
to me the problem with Bobbers, choppers and cafes is they are usually done in a half assed way, and almost never look better or function better then what they started out as. First do no harm?
Also, they're usually rife with cliches. Sawzall to the rear, when in doubt black it out, pipe wrap, signal seat, but leave the original tank which now looks huge and out of place. Flat bar struts, seat bump the has no relationship to the rest of the bike. the list goes on.
I've done all of these at one time or another, so i'm not speaking from some holy hill. Fortunately it's always been on worthless bikes, which is mostly true of the poorly done bikes I've seen. Even though it's none of my business ,because people can do whatever they like with their property, it galls me a little to see it done to some old classic. the poor yamaha xs650 (one of the best looking bikes ever, in stock form ) and the honda cb's suffer the worse abuse.
ivantheterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:56 AM   #24
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,849
Here's my take on it. I'm going for a pretty subdued chopper look. I bought a cheap bike that was too nice (in my opinion) to truly chop. I am customizing it, but I don't want to do anything irreversible.

I wanted z-bars:

I did some exhaust wrap to cover some pitted pipes and I used plasti-dip on the chrome pods to lose some more shiny stuff. (plasti dip just peels off when you don't want it anymore)

Did some new pegs:

I got a tank from ebay that had the stock paint buffed off and spray bombed. I buffed the spray off with some gas soaked sandpaper and was left with this:

I kind of dig the little divots with the paint still in them, so I decided to do a clear coat over it. I can always change my mind and do it differently if I don't like it. I'll just have to be careful with gas since I just used a single stage rattle can.

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:31 AM   #25
ivantheterrible
Studly Adventurer

that's a good platform for what you're doing, and imho, you've only improved the over all look, without sacrificing any of the practical aspects of the bike.
that's another thing---picking the right platform. Has there ever been a successful cafe racer made from a cruiser?

I hope my post didn't offend. i get that it's mostly about messin' around, having fun and making something your own.

the bike before my current one, which is a pretty cool (if I do say so myself) nighthawk 250 street tracker conversion, was a sr500. It was a beauty, in nearly showroom condition, that I got rid of in part because I need to be able to change up whatever I own, and i couldn't stand the thought of touching such a mint example.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:51 AM   #26
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivantheterrible View Post
that's a good platform for what you're doing, and imho, you've only improved the over all look, without sacrificing any of the practical aspects of the bike.
Yeah, I mostly agree with you on the cliche stuff. The tractor seats look awfully uncomfortable for actual riding. I've heard that the virago stock seat is pretty awful, but it's got to be better than a curved piece of steel sheet metal with a couple springs welded to it. I also think the most asinine thing you could do with a bike is to pull perfectly good shocks off and bolt on a couple steel struts. They get the worst of both worlds of ride quality and looks.

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #27
rider929
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360

She is almost done.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #28
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,342
Quote:
Has there ever been a successful cafe racer made from a cruiser?

IMO, yes. I've seen several examples that I would consider pretty successfully done. HERE'S one more recent one that I could link to right now, but there have been others. In fact, that forum has a fairly long thread devoted just to that subject and I found several in it that makes the grade for me.

Edited to add: ANOTHER HERE.

Or perhaps:

Or

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy

Randy screwed with this post 05-03-2013 at 09:36 AM
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #29
ivantheterrible
Studly Adventurer

I stand corrected! those are very nice.

but I still think there's way more failures 'cuz someone is trying to shoe horn a type of bike into a style that doesn't work.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #30
brokeassloser
I'll do it!!!

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
I stand corrected! those are very nice.

but I still think there's way more failures 'cuz someone is trying to shoe horn a type of bike into a style that doesn't work.
The failures come from someone thinking all they need is a sawsall and a rubbish bin to throw half the bike in and they have a custom. The bikes you are seeing in this thread that look good were built not just hacked. I'm especially digging the 650!
brokeassloser is offline   Reply With Quote