Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #16
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Let me know when you are coming over to Veracruz.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #17
CourtRand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Hope to see you in Quito. You can't go wrong with a Suzuki DR650 - just put a bigger tank on it - we use the Acerbis 5.5 gallon and it gives it about the same range as our KLR650s.

Your route through Ecuador is a bit too fast. You're missing the best riding in South America! You plan to ride from Quito to Guayaquil in a day. BIG mistake. Take a few days in Ecuador. You won't regret it.

+593(0)98-176-2340 http://FreedomBikeRental.com
court@freedombikerental.com
CourtRand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #18
jonas_mx OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtRand View Post
Hope to see you in Quito. You can't go wrong with a Suzuki DR650 - just put a bigger tank on it - we use the Acerbis 5.5 gallon and it gives it about the same range as our KLR650s.

Your route through Ecuador is a bit too fast. You're missing the best riding in South America! You plan to ride from Quito to Guayaquil in a day. BIG mistake. Take a few days in Ecuador. You won't regret it.
Oh not to worry, we will stay in Ecuador for a while, my uncle lives in Quito so we will be around for at least a week. The route I posted is just to have a rough idea of distances between cities and is in no way a fixed plan!

What do you suggest we should see/do/ride in Ecuador? from your signature I see you are quite an expert!

Thanks in advance!
jonas_mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #19
CourtRand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas_mx View Post
Oh not to worry, we will stay in Ecuador for a while, my uncle lives in Quito so we will be around for at least a week. The route I posted is just to have a rough idea of distances between cities and is in no way a fixed plan!

What do you suggest we should see/do/ride in Ecuador? from your signature I see you are quite an expert!

Thanks in advance!
We have lots of routes on our web page so please go there and check out what we have. If you're riding a DR you should think about our Offroad ADVenture route or the Amazing Ecuador route which goes to most of the cool things in Ecuador but on back roads...

In any case when you get here, stop in the shop and we can help you find the best places to go

+593(0)98-176-2340 http://FreedomBikeRental.com
court@freedombikerental.com
CourtRand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #20
V@lentino
Inspektor

Oddometer: 817
Maybe see you on the road

Hi Jonas,

3 of us on 2 GSAs are heading from Victoria BC to Ushuaia in late September (6 months). Hopefully meet up on the road somewhere, although you guys will be ahead of us.

Thanks for posting you projected route, it will give me some ideas. Most of my planning has focused on logistics re. gear and bike prep, with minimal look at route.

How will you be crossing over the Darien, we will likely ship from Panama to Bogota. I got a quote from Girag at approx $900.00.

Xenia de Jurado
Cargo Manager
Tel.(507) 378-5190 / (507) 378-5100 Ext. 112
Cel.(507) 6920-1823
E-mail:xenia.jurado@girag.com

Would be interested on what you find re. shipping the bike from Buenos Aires back North. We are planning to do the same and ship back somewhere to the West Coast of the US.

I am also looking at shipping from Montevideo, unconfirmed rumour indicates that it might be cheaper than from B.A.

Using B.A. as a base (we have a contact) we are planning on doing a Brazilian loop through Uruguay.

I am getting more and more excited as the start date approaches.

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:32 PM   #21
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Hey Jonas,

I'm following your route ideas and trip as well. Perhaps I'll see you somewhere down South. My name is Steve, and I'm riding with AC_Elite, leaving Glendora CA, probably on or around October 1.

Have a great ride!

Steve
Old 05-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #22
jonas_mx OP
Adventurer

Hello guys,

A quick update, last week I traded my NX4 for a DR650. I found this guy on mercadolibre.com (latin american ebay) willing to swap his 2013 DR for my NX4 + some cash. I think it was a good deal, as the DR has 1,600 miles on it and although it has a few scratches it is showroom quality. I couldve gone for a brand new DR but that would've been about 1,200 usd more. So now Im gonna invest that cash in some goodies for the DR.

I already took it on its first trip, from Mexico City to my hometown of Durango (and back) going through Toluca, Morelia, Patzcuaro, Zamora and Guadalajara on the first day and then Teul, Tlaltenango, Jerez, Fresnillo and Durango on the second day. For any of you thinking about visiting Mexico I highly recomend the "libre" road from Atlacomulco to Morelia and also the libre from Guadalajara to Teul.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now on to your replies and questions:

CourtRand:
Thanks for the info, I will look into your website and hopefully I can get some ideas from there, I'll send you a PM once Im in Ecuador.

ac_elite:
About crossing the Darien, we want to take the Stahlratte from San Blas to Cartagena, its almost the same price as Girag and its a waaaay more scenic route plus you get to spend a few days sailing the caribbean. Also from Cartagena we might go to Maracaibo in Venezuela just for fun as it is quite close.
I havent done much research on the return trip as I might do it overland but I heard the Santiago-Mexico route can be cheaper as LAN cargo runs a regular service. Hope we can meet up somewhere!

Steve:
hope you have a great trip! see you on the road!
Old 05-23-2013, 09:12 PM   #23
IRIDE56
Mike

Oddometer: 35
I will see you guys around, My adventure starts Nov 1 2013
I have no return date just a start date,,,,
Mike
IRIDE56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #24
jonas_mx OP
Adventurer

Quick update over here,

We are booked on board the Stahlratte, departing sept 10th from San Blas in Panama to Cartagena in Colombia. Anyone in Panama or colombia around those dates?

Also we have added Maracaibo, Venezuela to the schedule as it is quite close to Cartagena and we want to take a look into Mr. Chavez country and see if the roumors are true! specially if the women are as beutifull as they say!
Old 06-18-2013, 12:51 AM   #25
billy the kid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
I to am watching this thread with interest . First post here on ADV
Just lurking gathering ideas . Thanks Jonas
billy the kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #26
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas_mx View Post
Hello guys,

A quick update, last week I traded my NX4 for a DR650. I found this guy on mercadolibre.com (latin american ebay) willing to swap his 2013 DR for my NX4 + some cash. I think it was a good deal, as the DR has 1,600 miles on it and although it has a few scratches it is showroom quality. I couldve gone for a brand new DR but that would've been about 1,200 usd more. So now Im gonna invest that cash in some goodies for the DR.

I already took it on its first trip, from Mexico City to my hometown of Durango (and back) going through Toluca, Morelia, Patzcuaro, Zamora and Guadalajara on the first day and then Teul, Tlaltenango, Jerez, Fresnillo and Durango on the second day. For any of you thinking about visiting Mexico I highly recomend the "libre" road from Atlacomulco to Morelia and also the libre from Guadalajara to Teul.

Now on to your replies and questions:

CourtRand:
Thanks for the info, I will look into your website and hopefully I can get some ideas from there, I'll send you a PM once Im in Ecuador.

ac_elite:
About crossing the Darien, we want to take the Stahlratte from San Blas to Cartagena, its almost the same price as Girag and its a waaaay more scenic route plus you get to spend a few days sailing the caribbean. Also from Cartagena we might go to Maracaibo in Venezuela just for fun as it is quite close.
I havent done much research on the return trip as I might do it overland but I heard the Santiago-Mexico route can be cheaper as LAN cargo runs a regular service. Hope we can meet up somewhere!

Steve:
hope you have a great trip! see you on the road!
Does LAN fly motorbikes to/from South America and Mexico? Would be very interested in the details of this. Saludos, JIm
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #27
jonas_mx OP
Adventurer

I believe LAN does ship bikes from SA to Mexico, specially as their cargo division runs a regular service from Santiago to Mexico City, however Im not sure if shipping with them is as easy as doing it with Girag.

Here are the details for MasAir, mexican company that also runs cargo planes and (i believe) are agents for LANcargo in Mexico

Mas Air
Teléfono: + 52 55 5786 9555
Fax: +52 55 5786 9543
Contacto: Mayra Sánchez
Email:masanchez@MasAir.com

I havent looked that far into that because Im really trying to make it back on my bike, and ride the Sthlratte from Colombia to Jamaica, Cuba and land in Mexico (Isla Mujeres)