Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 06:27 AM   #16
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,360
Since you're heading west, I'll extend my standing offer for long-haulers.

Free beer!

If you're passing through Colorado Springs, I'd be happy to buy you a beer or three and hear about your travels (or planned travels), and advise you on places to stay, regional highlights, etc.

MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #17
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Good luck! Ride Safe!

Have a great ride.
Paul, are you English? Working in the US? I was curious ... cause it appears you've not crossed the USA before. Should be fun.

Do you have a route plan?
1. Flying to EU?
2. Riding South via Mexico/S. America
3. Other?

That Triumph is a good tough bike!
Have you weighed her up with all your kit on board?
We could have a Lotto to guess the weight!

Rubber Side Down!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #18
Radioman
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,965
Another Adventure begins! Ride Safe and have an amazing trip!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #19
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,399
weight w/o rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Have a great ride.
Paul, are you English? Working in the US? I was curious ... cause it appears you've not crossed the USA before. Should be fun.

Do you have a route plan?
1. Flying to EU?
2. Riding South via Mexico/S. America
3. Other?

That Triumph is a good tough bike!
Have you weighed her up with all your kit on board?
We could have a Lotto to guess the weight!

Rubber Side Down!
My guess 624#
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:42 AM   #20
Paulemery OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
The Route

Hi Guys

Sorry for not posting the route:

Stage 1 - Across America
I am in Utah for the next few days then after that I am unsure on what route to take to Vancouver
http://goo.gl/maps/X9oau

Stage 2 - Across South Korea
Unsure of the route as yet as I am unable to use the Motorways
http://goo.gl/maps/cI3C7

Stage 3 - Across the rest of the World
This route has been amended because I am too early in the season to complete the BAM Road, which is a huge shame. I'll double check in country but all the experienced ADV'ers said all the water will be too high!
http://goo.gl/maps/9u4hj

Yesterday Riding to Utah
Paulemery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #21
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulemery View Post
Stage 3 - Across the rest of the World
This route has been amended because I am too early in the season to complete the BAM Road, which is a huge shame. I'll double check in country but all the experienced ADV'ers said all the water will be too high!
When will you be starting "Stage 3"?

I'll be in Kazak in June and Mogolia in July then heading for the BAM and Road of bones. If you will be there this summer, maybe we will cross paths.

first round is on me
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #22
Mud Lightspeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
I'll be following your report closely, an amazing trip to be sure. The Scrambler is an amazing bike and it won't let you down. I rode mine all over the Yukon, British Columbia, Alberta and Montana, lots of back roads riding. The Scrambler's retro looks and simplicity make the trip seem just a little more special and it really helps when it comes to meeting strangers -they love the bike. My own Scrammie was loaded up very similar to yours, so you must be doing it right! It doesn't look like it, but if you come through Calgary, you have a place to crash for as long as you need. If I can offer any help or advice on the Scrambler just Send me an email. I've PM you with my direct email.

Posers. By the way, blue ones maybe fastest... but the red ones go farthest!
Old 04-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #23
Paulemery OP
Adventurer

Hey man that sounds awesome!

I should meet you in Kazkhstan, here are the provisional dates for when, mileage too each destination and where I'll staying!

Defintiley keep in touch and ley me know if you start a ride report!

Semey Sunday, June 16, 13 274.00
Ayakoz Monday, June 17, 13 221.00
Kalinino Tuesday, June 18, 13 379.00
Charyn Canyon Wednesday, June 19, 13 158.00
Almaty Thursday, June 20, 13 113.00
Shymkent Monday, June 24, 13 419.00
Qyzlorda Tuesday, June 25, 13 271.00
Aral Sea Wednesday, June 26, 13 298.00
Qarabutaq Thursday, June 27, 13 160.00
Qandyaghash Friday, June 28, 13 268.00
Atyrau Saturday, June 29, 13 305.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
When will you be starting "Stage 3"?

I'll be in Kazak in June and Mogolia in July then heading for the BAM and Road of bones. If you will be there this summer, maybe we will cross paths.

first round is on me
Old 04-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #24
Paulemery OP
Adventurer

I'm glad to see you scram loaded up as well, its very reassuring! As i'm always questioning what i'm carrying and if I've gone overboard! I'm not going as far north as Calgary now but thanks for the offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Lightspeed View Post
I'll be following your report closely, an amazing trip to be sure. The Scrambler is an amazing bike and it won't let you down. I rode mine all over the Yukon, British Columbia, Alberta and Montana, lots of back roads riding. The Scrambler's retro looks and simplicity make the trip seem just a little more special and it really helps when it comes to meeting strangers -they love the bike. My own Scrammie was loaded up very similar to yours, so you must be doing it right! It doesn't look like it, but if you come through Calgary, you have a place to crash for as long as you need. If I can offer any help or advice on the Scrambler just Send me an email. I've PM you with my direct email.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #25
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Lightspeed View Post

Good on you guys for getting out there and doing it on the Scramblers!
You could be Next Gen Ted Simon inspired Adventurers. Not a bad thing! Difference is Ted's 500 Triumph weighed about 150 lbs. less than your bikes ... and he always carried spare pistons, rings and complete top end!

I owned Triumph and BSA in the 60's and 70's ... and the only one I miss is my Triumph Rikman Metisse ... which I foolishly sold. A vintage bike for travel would not be my first choice ... been there ... hated it.

Paul,
If you are serious about cutting weight ... read Walter Colebatch's threads.
He is a big proponent of soft bags, as am I. I took 40 lbs. off my DR650 after switching. A huge difference in handling and control on the bike as well. Security with hard bags is an illusion. Pac-Safe will do.

I use inner liner bags with my soft luggage. I never take them ON or OFF. Just open up, grab soft liner bag and go. Did I mention Cheap and Cheerful ... and indestructible? I hope you do the White Rim Trail in Moab, Utah.
A great 120 mile loop. Lots more there too.

Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #26
Paulemery OP
Adventurer

Days 8 - 13

Day 8 - 300 miles to Amarillo

After leaving Rich and Ashley's in Oklahoma, I had my sights firmly set on Albuquerque as this was where my motorcycle could be fixed and would offer the peace of mind I was after, I headed due west, on a straight and seemingly endless road.

I was but 10 minutes into the days ride and the winds hit, like a jack boot to my side, the road were roman in structure but I had a lean angle that Rossi would be proud of, with the weight and my serious lack of 'getting a knee down' experience, it took me a while to relax and at the end of the day my body ached all over. Time for some therapy in the form of a Texas steak

Day 9 - 250 Miles to Santa Fe

I awoke happy as the weather was in the high 70's and I would hopefully get my bike fixed, the miles passed quickly through a lot of nondescript land and I have arrived at the triumph workshop hoping they had the parts in stock. I was told they didn't have them in stock and should have them by Thursday at the earliest! it was Tuesday. I had planned to ride that night to stay with another of John's friends in Santa Fe, some 30 miles down the road. It wouldn't have been a hardship to stay near the workshop but i wanted to see a familiar face and a share some beers. Not long after I was told I had to wait two days, another one of the shop workers said he had sourced the parts from another bike and should be able to get me on the way today, i was elated. Not long after I was back on the road heading towards Santa Fe. A good dinner, some ice hockey and a warm bed. I was very happy.

Day 10 - 200 Miles to Farmington

I was finally heading North, this was the final leg of the America trip and had some fun install. Farmington on the other hand held less life than water BP had played with, it was though, a good excuse to catch up on sleep and zone out.

Day 11 - 250 Miles to Kanab

The following day I rode to Kanab in Utah, with as much expectation as I had with Farmington, but this little town was sat in the arms of red rock mountains with streets straight from a western movie set.

After an amazing dinner with red wine and dessert I wondered the towns streets looking at vintage photography shops and soaking in the warm evening sun.

Day 12 - 100 Miles to Bryce Canyon

Just look at the picture below, that night I stayed in Paguitch and the following morning I found even more oil beneath my motorbike, I need to work on it again. Next stop Salt Lake City

Old 04-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #27
jmcg
Turpinated..

Oddometer: 413
Enjoying your travels + pics.

Thanks.

Good luck!

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #28
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,399
You are about a year behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulemery View Post
Hey man that sounds awesome!

I should meet you in Kazkhstan, here are the provisional dates for when, mileage too each destination and where I'll staying!

Defintiley keep in touch and ley me know if you start a ride report!

Semey Sunday, June 16, 13 274.00
Ayakoz Monday, June 17, 13 221.00
Kalinino Tuesday, June 18, 13 379.00
Charyn Canyon Wednesday, June 19, 13 158.00
Almaty Thursday, June 20, 13 113.00
Shymkent Monday, June 24, 13 419.00
Qyzlorda Tuesday, June 25, 13 271.00
Aral Sea Wednesday, June 26, 13 298.00
Qarabutaq Thursday, June 27, 13 160.00
Qandyaghash Friday, June 28, 13 268.00
Atyrau Saturday, June 29, 13 305.00
Good reading and excellent ride report. Roninmoto
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:52 AM   #29
lipsee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Srambler troubles

Hi Paul,,,,, What seems to be the trouble with your bike????
lipsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:31 AM   #30
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,499
Good luck with your tour Paul. I loved my time with my Scram. There are easier bikes to do a RTW tour on but, perhaps, none with so much character as the Scram.