Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 02:27 AM   #16
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
So what you want is a late-model Daytona 955i, I'd go with an '05 or '06.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bi...-2001-current/

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_...i/viewall.html

149 triple-powered ponies make it a totally different beast on the top end compared to the lower-revving mill in a Speedy.

It's a little heavy compared to its litrebike competition at the time, but it makes up for that by being more stable and just plain more comfortable on real roads. Also comes with a decently sized 19L fuel tank, and can be coaxed into getting 50+ MPG.

Not to mention, a good, well loved example can be had cheap as hell.
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:47 AM   #17
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Pretty popular in Europe.

Lots of old experienced motorcyclist are tired of the sport tourers not being light enough, and sportsbikes not being comfy enough.

They want the best components and the best engineering that really only come in the top-of-the-line 1000cc bike, but they don't understand why they have to ride in a fetal position.

They're also pretty pissed with Honda for discontinuing the blackbird aka "the best sport touring motorcycle in history" and replacing it with the VFR1200.

So they make their own - the Suzuki GSX-R 1000 is probably the most popular to convert and the recipe is pretty simple.

Higher flatter bars. Comfier seat. Lower pegs. Slightly higher windscreen. Job done.

Not the best picture but you get the idea:

Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:43 AM   #18
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,832
Now that GSXR is nice! Honestly I would never have thought about getting one of those but that is VERY interesting. Thanks for the info Blue&Yellow!
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:00 AM   #19
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
So what you want is a late-model Daytona 955i, I'd go with an '05 or '06.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bi...-2001-current/

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_...i/viewall.html

149 triple-powered ponies make it a totally different beast on the top end compared to the lower-revving mill in a Speedy.

It's a little heavy compared to its litrebike competition at the time, but it makes up for that by being more stable and just plain more comfortable on real roads. Also comes with a decently sized 19L fuel tank, and can be coaxed into getting 50+ MPG.

Not to mention, a good, well loved example can be had cheap as hell.

Cheers Croak.

Beautiful machine; I just fell in love!

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:28 AM   #20
Honda55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post
Honda55, am I correct in assuming that you've done this to an R1 already? If so, how is the riding position with the Heli's? I am about 5ft 8in, 170 lbs.

Anybody else have suggestions on "comfortable" sports bikes? My favorite bike in that field right now is the current gen CBR1000RR, although I've heard others say that the previous gen RR is more comfy, such a subjective thing really...

I've also heard that the previous gen GSXR 1K is unusually comfortable. Looking for someone's experience on the matter.

I really enjoyed that ride report that was posted about the Bandit, thank you. I have certainly considered it, but I fear that it will just be another in a long list of bikes that I've had that were close, but no cigar. I just crave the small stature, nimbleness and big power of a litre class sports bike.

Somehow there must be a way to enjoy my bike, and not be in physical pain from it...

My buddy has done if, but sold it since so he could get a little dirty. Personally, I like the heli bars because it feels more like a dirtbike which is more natural to me. I hate clipons. You're pretty short so you could probably get it done with risers but I prefer clipons. It comes down to a matter of opinion ultimately though. But personally I love the look of the r1. And I have had nothing but positives with Yamaha and to me the feel the most comfortable.

Ps, you're a sick man, my fz6 manages to scare me! I can't imagine an r1. I only rode my buddies r1 around his neighborhood so I didn't get the full flavor
Honda55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #21
Yostwerks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
I own a Sprint ST, so I like triple's. The big Daytona would be a good choice for a sport touring conversion.

My Aprila Falco SL1000R is not dissimilar to the Daytona 955 in concept, though with a bit less horsepower. It's got heli-bars for a better
riding position, a Sargent saddle for comfort, a Penske rear shock and Race Tech fork kit for handling, plus homebuilt pannier
racks / top rack for touring.

This bike puts the SPORT in sport touring.

Quote:
...but I want a lithe weapon again that can put the fear of GAWD in me!
The 200hp zx14r specializes in fear of GAWD. Power and speed are off the charts and handling in the twisties is much better than expected. I set mine up for sport touring with a few mods. Heli-bar risers and lower pegs provide a comfortable riding position, and homebuilt panniers racks / top rack make touring a snap. Ohlins are up next.

This bike is a hyper-sport tourer

Yostwerks screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 08:12 AM
Yostwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #22
BryonLewis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post
Yes sir, that is my point. I didn't see the FZ1 comment. No offense to FZ1 owners but they are unpleasant to my eyes. Also, regarding wind, I have never really cared about wind blast. I've had a number of naked bikes and wind blast doesn't bother me. Regarding the Ninja 1000, I am just not feeling it too much either...

Hasn't anyone done what I'm talking about?
take an FZ1 and make it look better by doing the N conversion:

If not your thing, the classic sportbike tourers are the busa and zx-14, but they might be heavier than what you want. The heaviness is offset by the torque, which allows the dual personality of these bikes. You can cruise around at 50 in 5th gear and just crank it and it will pull. You don't have to wring their necks to get the power.
BryonLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #23
WAP
Weekday Warrior

Oddometer: 961
My most recent comfort mod was an Airhawk R. Highly recommended. Much better than the Corbin and sheepskin I already tried on my SV1. It will raise your seating position somewhat though, which helps with straightening your legs, but makes you bend over to the bars a bit more.
WAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #24
Dexter2811
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
I didn't read you need it to be "new" so... Isn't this available anymore?

Dexter2811 screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 07:59 AM
Dexter2811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #25
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
I know these are getting a little older, but what about the Kawasaki ZZR1200 ? Ask here http://zzrbikes.com/content/?

I know years ago Heli made bars for it & i think Givi made shields & bag brackets for it.

roadstar screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 09:22 AM
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #26
elementalg20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
I've seen 1st gen connie clip on on a zzr1200 before, nice and upright. But you're dealing with a fairly heavy some what old tech carb'd bike. I like them, but I don't view it as a substitute for the zx10/r1/gsxr1k/cbr1k of the world. Granted that's just my opinion.

The GSXR1000 conversion has been done enough that you should be able to copy. Everyone has there favorite liter bike/years etc if they aren't your flavor so be it but they are certainly competitive and although I'm not a big Suzuki fan if I recall the 05 or 06's were kind of what I liked. I've ridden a cbr929 w/ full exhaust and pc tuner.....I found it underwhelming. I thought it'd scare me but wot through a few gears and I was just bored. Some how it managed to be fast and boring at the same time, I like Honda's but......maybe that's why some people hate them lol.

I think the Daytona option is a fair mention, but I think I'd personally be looking at a Tuono R or similar. They aren't watered down like a lot of naked, full race bike in factory street fighter clothes(regular handlebar). Just yet another option.

Gone...1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 2000 KTM Adventure 640, 1994 BMW R1100RS, 2002 BMW K1200RS,1999 VFR800, 1996 VFR750, 1985 Maxim X, 198x 250LTD
elementalg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #27
TexanInSeattle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
have you seen this thread?
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=868808
Old 04-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #28
ramon
weezin' the juice!

Oddometer: 1,092
My advice is get an R1. I have seen many people pit ProTaper's on them and adjustable pegs, for the perfect position. A friend of mine had a major back injury and this set up works perfect for him. I think it's the LSL kit. Seriously looked at that set up myself
Old 04-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #29
rauchman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Greetings,

You mention that you've owned an SV1000. I'm currently on a SV1000S and have modded it for touring.

Convertibars - Hugely adjustable. I had to buy longer brake/throttle/clutch lines. Lots of info available on their site. Overall, made a tremendous difference in upper body comfort. I would guess the LSL Handlebar kit would be a good 2nd choice.

Buell Pegs - I got mine the year HD announced they were discontinuing Buell. They should still be available. They were $30 and had to file out the mounting holes a little, but again, made a very positive difference in leg comfort.

Sargent Seat - Much better than stock, but not great.

Past that, I got a set of Nelson Riggs bags on sale and a Pueg (spelling?) screen, and I'm good to go. Longest ride I've done in one day was about 600 miles.

I would guess any liter sport bike made in the last 10 years or so would be a good platform to start with. I've never ridden an I4 liter sport bike (or any size sport bike for that matter), but I would guess capability and overall performance would be pretty close between the Japanese brands. Take a liter bike and do something about the 'bars, pegs and seat and you're good to go.
rauchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #30
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Not reallya modern liter bike but very comfortable. I had two zx9rs ('99 &'02) with corbin seat, heli bars, taller flip screen, tank and throwover bags. did over 60,00 miles on them.